Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
This topic is about Fifty Shades of Grey
590 views
Feb 2015 Story of O/Bared to You > Fifty Shades book/Movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Bonnie is uploading a video on Fifty Shades just for fun this month,s o if you wanna comment about the book here's where that could go. Also, we'll be talking about the movie in the hangout for Feb, just a heads up too!


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 124 comments I may stand alone, but I am a 50 fan. It's not great writing, I'll easily grant that, but I was entertained. Then again, I'm a Twilight Fan, too. Now I've really stuck my foot in it, I'm sure


message 3: by T.S. (last edited Jan 28, 2015 04:54AM) (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments It is such a shame we must crawl on our bellies when we confess enjoying something the masses revile.

Favorite quote from George Carlin: "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

The power that makes us say "I'm so sorry I enjoyed this. Please forgive me. I'm weak. I'll seek help, I really will."

Jar Jar Binks.
Nickelback
Ke$ha's TiK ToK
MsDonalds
Oero Double-stuff

I hope it's not true, folks, but there is a good chance there is no Heaven. This is the only life, the only existence, we will ever know. Do not spend it in conformity.


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 124 comments Actually, I was recommended this series before the final book was even out, before all the media hype. I'm not conforming; I'm sharing that I enjoyed the books.


Andrea (dodgergirl99) | 39 comments I read and enjoyed all 3 books. Even though I cringed at times, and tsked the writing in my head, I continued to read on.


message 6: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments This is starting to sound like an AA meeting.

"Hello, my name is Andrea, and I read 50SoG. It's been 23 days since my last book"

"Hello Andrea!"


Colleen Palladino | 18 comments My roommate is begrudgingly going to see the movie (just to make fun of it I guess), but I am going to because I read the books and I enjoyed them. The story was interesting (cringe worthy), not the best writing though. It is a shame that for this series you kind of have to pretend you don't like them; I initially read it to see what all the hype was about and make fun of it a little, but then I kind of got a little obsessed. I am not ashamed that I like this series.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd love it if Bonnie could talk about the unsafe elements of BDSM in 50 shades. (As in not that BDSM is unsafe but how the way the characters did BDSM in that book was unsafe. Biking without a helmet.)

It's really excited that an erotica will be on the big screen but it'd also be cool if we can use that to talk about the proper practices in BDSM. : )


message 9: by Orange (new)

Orange | 56 comments Wow! I'm excited for the feb. books, especially after Felicia scandalize them with those trigger warnings. I haven't read either book. I'm a little confused which book is the main? Also everyone should read the web comic Sunstone this month, it really is sweet. Vol. 1 has recently been published by image comics.


message 10: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Story of O is the main.


message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Crane-rosset | 104 comments Dude, if you like the book, you like the book. That's fine. Don't be embarassed about it. I read it, and hated it. I thought it was bland and boring. I hated the bad writing and REALLY bad editing. I especially hated the misinformation and outright DANGEROUS information it had about BDSM lifestyle, practices, and culture.


message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (katie_jones) | 348 comments I'm one of the people who hated 50 shades, not because I was conforming, or embarrassed to read it. I wasn't. I hated it for two main reasons: 1)Terrible writing/editing and 2) This isn't BDSM, it's misogynistic abuse. I don't have trigger warnings, I don't have any past experiences with abuse, but I can recognize physical and emotional abuse when I see it. I just don't find that sexy.


message 13: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jan 28, 2015 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 25 comments I read the book and found it horrible. Not only is the message it sends is outrageous but it's not real. The real kink world isn't anything like that. The worst part is now you have bored men and women that think think this is what it is. This is the trolls and predators wet dream. They will seek out the poor fools and only abuse them. I was very upset of how popular it is. Even on goodreads this is seen. I joined a BDSM group and found our the majority of the people only read books and are not in the kink world. It's just role play. I was like, umm, no thank you. I am not interested in paper collars or Velcro collars, lol.


message 14: by Keri (last edited Jan 28, 2015 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri (bookish_voodoo) | 2 comments I enjoyed 50SOG. Not for the sex and kink but for the storyline.

Alana - im also a fan of twilight. dont feel bad :)


message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey White | 15 comments Actually, I feel in the minority for not liking it. people on my friends list on Facebook obsess over it. It's just not my thing.


Brittany House | 6 comments Andrea wrote: "I read and enjoyed all 3 books. Even though I cringed at times, and tsked the writing in my head, I continued to read on."

Exactly!! Im pretty sure I developed a twitch from all the cringing I did while reading those books, but that didnt stop me from buying each book and reading them in record speed. The "kink" in those books crack me up! Clearly she put in the book the first few items she saw on adamandeve.com!


message 17: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Jan 28, 2015 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 124 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I read the book and found it horrible. Not only is the message it sends is outrageous but it's not real. The real kink world isn't anything like that. The worst part is now you have bored men and..."

*I feel I should start off and mention that this is all in the spirit of discussion and debate.*

I have to ask, are you just mad that it's fictional and it's not exploring the BDSM culture with accuracy? Because I have to say... it's fiction. It's not going to necessarily spur trolls and predators to suddenly have a huge feast to devour... just like Dexter books don't cause people to go out and become serial killers. Reading Lolita is not going to make every stepfather out in the world have an affair with their underage stepchild. You are absolutely correct in that this is NOT a good example of a 'real' BDSM relationship or interaction... but once again, it's fiction.

... And in regards to the BDSM group here at Goodreads, this is a social media online platform about books, so it stands to reason that readers of books (even BDSM books) want a place to meet and discuss. I understand why it may not be the group for you if you are looking for hardcore livers of the lifestyle- but I would recommend you to go to a club that caters to that crowd. Just because I may read BDSM books, and don't own a collar or a flogger (or even if I do) there shouldn't be a negativity attached to 'just readers' versus those who actually are a 'slave', 'master', 'switch', or whatever.


message 18: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Shadyia wrote: "It is such a shame we must crawl on our bellies when we confess enjoying something the masses revile.

Favorite quote from George Carlin: "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large g..."

HAHAHAHAHAH NICKELBACK omg that is so true!


RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 25 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I read the book and found it horrible. Not only is the message it sends is outrageous but it's not real. The real kink world isn't anything like that. The worst part is now ..."

I don't mind that it's fictional. Not at all. There is a lot of fiction BDSM books. There is an explosion of them in the recent years. They keep making their rounds, they get popular then die out and then come popular again, and just a cycle of this goes on and on. There are difference styles of it because BDSM is a huge umbrella that covers a lot (really any fetish or interest out there).

There has been an undercurrent of it. I remember 15 years ago signing up for Olympia Press. I was interested in it because there was a bunch of Victorian Smut books and I was a fan of the writing of William S. Burroughs. He had big connections with Olympia Press because they were the only publishers willing to publish Naked Lunch (which is a very tough book to read--because it isn't pretty--it's pretty raw).

It was there I learned of very old print books about this topic. Some books are just out there and I'd never read them, others were interesting but the best part is that they were free or just $1.

It was there I read Story of O. I read the book after watching the 1970's movie. I knew about BDSM before that because as a teen a loved reading Anne Rice and found my way through The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty. This was in the day that internet was just a few BBS and pretty much the only host was AOL, oh internet on dial-up early 90s.

Now I've read some very horrible BDSM themed books both old and new. The part that just doesn't settle well is how mainstream it had become because of Twilight. I didn't mind the subculture of it. It's easy to find what you're looking for in the right clubs.

There has been many trolls and predators in the scene, normally those are called out pretty quickly. What I don't like is seeing a lot younger girls, getting into it. The majority wouldn't, but from already from what I've seen (munches, parties, fetlife) there is this group of newbies have come from the book. That is when it's troll haven. Those guys are quick to nab those girls up. The problem is the girls are willing to believe these guys because they want that fantasy. It doesn't matter how much you warn them. He just goes off and finds more because there are so many girls out there.

The book is a horrible example of what the 'real' kink world is like. (I say kink world because not all involved identify as BDSM). It is fiction and just a story. It's just glamorizing it to a degree. My poor state of Washington, first Twilight, now 50SoG, when will it end?!

As for the BDSM groups, I just have an issue with it, when you are looking to find a good non-fiction book about it and nobody in the group is interested or just wants to read M/M kink books, which there isn't anything wrong with it. It's just different when you live it vs. when you read it for entertainment. There is nothing wrong for the books, it each their own. The listopia on here is great, I've found a great list of non-fiction and fiction books in BDSM. It's just a matter of looking.

Also, as you can tell I'm not into the roleplay of it all on here. There are other website designed for that. It was just a disappointment I found those in a groups on here. Then I just got up, brushed myself off (left from the group), and went on my way to other interests.

What I suggest is for people to research it. Learn about it, if anything you might just get a few ideas to spice up the bedroom or better communication in your relationships (d/s side of it).

Poor Felicia, Veronica, Bonnie, and Kaila. There is going to be an explosion of lovers and haters of the book. :P


message 20: by Taryn (last edited Jan 28, 2015 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Taryn (taryngilliland) | 50 comments Hey! What's wrong with Nickelback? ;)

Anyway, just to prove I wasn't going to needlessly hate on 50 (several of my coworkers love it), I read the first one and was left with a sense of "What the eff did I just read?" I didn't like the plot, I didn't like the repetitive smut, Christian is an asshole, Anastasia is an idiot, the writing teeters between poor and ridiculous, etc etc. I tried reading the second book but after (view spoiler) I was like "Is this it? Because I can't handle this anymore" and put it on the DNF shelf. Obviously this series was not for me. However, my girlfriends and I are going to see it in theatres and I'm curious how it's going to be portrayed and no, I'm not just going to mock the whole thing. I'm genuinely wondering if it will be any better translated to film and not seem like an abusive relationship. (I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to keep an open mind!)


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 124 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "What I suggest is for people to research it. Learn about it, if anything you might just get a few ideas to spice up the bedroom or better communication in your relationships (d/s side of it). "

Despite us disaggreeing on our opinion of the book itself (and Twilight) I agree with pretty much all else you've said. Well, I still don't quite hold the book as accountable for the downfall of ignorant readers - though I can see your point... I guess my quandry with this is how (or why?) imbecilic behavior is blamed on a 3rd party. Just as many outcried that Twilight is an abusive relationship (and since 50 Shades was Twilight fanfic, go figure) but yet there are flocks of Twihards ... but it seems to me there are always going to be something to spur dolts into acting stupid. Though, there is total merit in your point that this greater 'kink' world is not just some sweet meadow in Washington. I guess I really just want individual idiots that have based everything they know about kink on 50 shades and think it's some sort of kink Bible to open their eyes and realize they are wrong, wrong, wrong... Not hold EL James accountable for readers actions.

One thing I would also love to discuss is the fact that love it or hate it (or anything in between) 50 Shades has allowed for several 'good' things:
1. Encouraging reading (even for some just to want to read to say that they had given it a try and didn't like it)
2. Making kink, BDSM, and anything other than your 'usual' romantic vanilla faire to be more mainstream, more available, and not as taboo as it once was. It may not show a good or even passable example of true kink culture, but it's become a gateway drug to allow many to learn more, should they choose to do so and make it more likely to find all kinds of fiction on bookshelves (be they electronic or real). Like you mentioned, it used to be just a very limited number of books (at least that were easily 'findable' and such) if you wanted to read about kink. But now, like a butterfly we can flit from book to book gorging ourselves on m/m, BDSM, menage, transvestites, and bi sexuals... all kinds of kinky fuckery. It wasn't alone in this, it's been a gradually occuring literary trend - less 'moist flower petals sucking in manhoods' and more frank and open hot sex instead of silly euphemisms.

And Re: Roleplay- I also fully agree with you there- I prefer to leave my roleplaying for game night or behind closed doors. Never understood the prevelance of roleplaying here... but then again, I figured if I didn't like to see that I'd leave whatever group or just deal with it.

I know I'm bouncing all over the place with my thoughts, but I genuinly enjoy being able to debate book like these- and 50 is perfect for such things.


message 22: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 476 comments I know women who have asked to be spanked, bound, etc JUST because they read that festering piece of badly written badly edited misinformed book. Our fictional entertainment normalises things for us in the real world. If that fiction is the first or only contact with an idea, it can become the baseline of what that thing should be.


RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 25 comments PointyEars42 wrote: " I know women who have asked to be spanked, bound, etc JUST because they read that festering piece of badly written badly edited misinformed book. Our fictional entertainment normalises things for us in the real world. If that fiction is the first or only contact with an idea, it can become the baseline of what that thing should be. "

I totally agree.


message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat | 27 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "One thing I would also love to discuss is the fact that love it or hate it (or anything in between) 50 Shades has allowed for several 'good' things:"

This.

I read the first one, thought it was terrible, then read the other two thinking "surely it'll get better if everyone loves them so." It didn't.

But.
Ignoring the BDSM-accuracy, it has done great things. Like Alana said, it got people reading and discussing books. It usually leads to reading other sorts of romance novels and made reading/discussing them less embarrassing to talk about. I can't bring myself to hate any book that gets people reading.
Like...just because I prefer creme brulee over Twinkies doesn't mean other people can't have and enjoy their Twinkies. :)


Jessica | 27 comments I dont care if this book is "good" or "bad"...it made kink mainstream for a while and I enjoyed it. I will see the movie whilst wearing a silk tie in the same spirit of camaraderie that made me rock a lightening bolt for Harry Potter.

but if anyone touches me I will mace them...my spirit of camaraderie isn't that strong


message 26: by Jordan (last edited Feb 01, 2015 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jordan (jordan_lusink) I'm relenting and finally deciding to read the book so that I can speak intelligently and in an informed manner when I talk about my loathing in the first place. (I'm completely aware that going into it biased isn't necessarily the best mindset either, but hey, I'm still reading it.) That's usually my m.o. anyway—to read and be informed—but I'd been very reluctant to do so with this one. Bonnie's comment at the end of the last stream convinced me.

As some people have already been talking about, I definitely have some issues with the premise and things that I've been hearing about this book. Here are my own thoughts re: books like this and pop culture.

I understand that it's fiction, but I also understand that young people get a lot of "information" and pressure to be a certain way from pop culture. And I would argue that's true more for young women than for young men. (i.e. There are many more "teen" magazines aimed at girls than boys.) For every girl that reads Harry Potter or The Hunger Games and is inspired to be a strong, independent, resilient young woman like Hermione or Katniss, there are two girls reading shit like Twilight and 50 Shades who think it's okay to be of the mindset that you can't exist without a boy in your life and/or that a controlling relationship is synonymous with a loving one. (Saying all of this having read all of those EXCEPT 50 Shades at this point.)

I know this is true for a lot of women I know my age (I'm mid-twenties), I think partially because of the way that current morals and viewpoints will often be reflected in that pop culture. For example, women my age grew up experiencing a lot of pop culture, specifically movies, where in sexual situations, women are in ecstasy at the moment of penetration. This led to at least five women I know being convinced that there was something wrong with THEM when that wasn't true for them, even though the statistic is something like 70% of women don't experience orgasm from JUST vaginal penetration and no other stimulation. Just one example that I can think of at the moment, although there are scores of them.

Because sex and relationships are such sensitive topics for American culture specifically, there are a lot of misconceptions. And if examples like Twilight and 50 Shades are the ones that are most prevalant, unfortunately there are going to be people who don't know any different. Especially since it's hard enough already to try to get people you know to realize and escape abusive, unhealthy relationships without media blurring the line.

My two cents, however inelegant it may be. I am perfectly happy to be convinced otherwise, and I am enjoying reading alternate points of view here.


message 27: by C.V. (new)

C.V. Larkin | 15 comments Taryn wrote: "Hey! What's wrong with Nickelback? ;)

Anyway, just to prove I wasn't going to needlessly hate on 50 (several of my coworkers love it), I read the first one and was left with a sense of "What the e..."


To say that I wasn't a fan of the books would be an understatement, but I wonder if the movie will actually be better, given the way the books were constructed and how miserable it was to be perpetually stuck inside of Ana's head. That view point made painted her as a victim, but maybe given the lack of psychological intimacy to the film/TV medium if it will read differently. Some one let me know after it comes out.


message 28: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments Jodi-lynn wrote: "Shadiya,
I love what you wrote. I am also a fan. I enjoy it. It is mindless, and cringeworthy writing but it also always me to escape."


You're welcome.

As an homage to the up coming 50 Shades of Gray film, I offer this:

The Masochist says: "Hurt me! Hurt me!"
The Sadist says: "No."


message 29: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 476 comments C.V. wrote: "...but I wonder if the movie will actually be better, given the way the books were constructed and how miserable it was to be perpetually stuck inside of Ana's head..."

And will the constant narration the movie has to have be a voice-over by Anna, or Anna's inner goddess?


message 30: by C.V. (last edited Feb 02, 2015 03:12PM) (new)

C.V. Larkin | 15 comments PointyEars42 wrote: "And will the constant narration the movie has to have be a voice-over by Anna, or Anna's inner goddess?"

Oh please, let it be the inner goddess. Maybe she can do the samba in the bottom corner of the screen, a la Mystery Science Theater, while making lewd cracks and additional dirty limericks about Jamie Dornan's appeal. I would pay for that.


message 31: by Taryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Taryn (taryngilliland) | 50 comments Or maybe we'll get lucky and the entire movie will be nothing but Jamie Dornan mowing the lawn in a suit and tie for two hours as he gets more and more sweaty and has to constantly remove articles of clothing.

...

Sorry, what were we talking about? ;)


message 32: by C.V. (new)

C.V. Larkin | 15 comments Taryn wrote: "Or maybe we'll get lucky and the entire movie will be nothing but Jamie Dornan mowing the lawn in a suit and tie for two hours as he gets more and more sweaty and has to constantly remove articles ..."

Hahahaha, yeah, that could work.


message 33: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Can I just propose that there's probably a really dark version of Frozen that would be perfect for This type of literature? Fanfic ahoy!


message 34: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat | 27 comments PointyEars42 wrote: "And will the constant narration the movie has to have be a voice-over by Anna, or Anna's inner goddess?"

Every reference to her inner goddess made me think of Lizzie Mcguire's cartoon alter ego, so personally I'm hoping they went that route.


message 35: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments Felicia wrote: "Can I just propose that there's probably a really dark version of Frozen that would be perfect for This type of literature? Fanfic ahoy!"

Like this?



A piece of brilliant art by pingu978.

If you search DeviantArt, you will find many such pictures, and I think that touches on something in the human spirit which also helps explain 50 Shades of Gray's appeal.

The darkness in all of us needs to be fed.

As Grand Duchess Felicia has said, I think there is a potential for fanfic here that few--if any--have dared to write about.

What happened after Cinderella and The Prince (notice how he is never given a name in the Disney version? Interesting)--what happened after they rode off in that carriage? What was their first night together like?

I am not talking about a porn version of Cinderella. I am thinking of a fanfic cross between Game of Thrones and Cinderella.

Did Cinderella invite her wicked Step Mother and horrible sisters to live in the palace? Did they try to kill her first born child?

What would have happened if Elsa thought she had actually killed Anna and murdered everyone in Arendelle in her grief?

People won't write this because it is the realm of children and they are afraid of hearing "YOU RUINED MY CHILDHOOD!!" I saw Cinderella as a child, but now that I'm grown up, I ask these questions.

In my forth coming novel series, I will explore this darkness. I will feed that beast inside us all. The first novel will have a strong, good heroine who does her best against overwhelming odds. In the books to come she will fall and the reader will be there to see it, to experience what it is like to become the evil queen. In the end, she comes back, stronger, truer and more compassionate than ever.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write so much. I know no one has time to sneeze in this day and age. If you read all this, thank you.


RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 25 comments There is The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice. Lots and lots of spanking in that one.


message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amaranthinen) | 9 comments SPOILER
.
.
I HATED this trilogy and not because of the bdsm. Can the second and third book be even qualified as erotica? They're more about her life being threatened by some unknown source and The couples struggle to out think the enemy.
This is I how I would some up the books. A rich handsome and intelligent man meets quirky smart but virgin student. The man takes the girls virginity and tells her he has a dark secret... hush horror hush.. its bdsm. The girl tries hesitantly to get into that world decides its not for her, that bdsm is bad, and runs away... but by this time boy has fallen helplessly in love with her so he follows her and agrees to keep it practically vanilla. They get married and have two kids. The end.

I thought this book was a pure insult to anyone who's tastes were anything but wholesome apple pie, mummy daddy relationships. To add insult to injury,the way bdsm is portrayed here is completely erroneous and portrays a really unhealthy dominant character who pays no regard for the rules.


message 38: by Taryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Taryn (taryngilliland) | 50 comments Shadyia wrote: "People won't write this because it is the realm of children and they are afraid of hearing "YOU RUINED MY CHILDHOOD!!" I saw Cinderella as a child, but now that I'm grown up, I ask these questions."

Silly people need to realize that not all fairy tales started out as shiny happy Disney things. The Brothers Grimm, anyone?

Funny you mention Cinderella; I have a game called Cinders where you play as Cinderella, but you don't have to go to the ball and marry the Prince. You could instead fall for your childhood friend, or the captain of the guard, or even say "eff men" and be single. You could also try and be friends with your step-sisters and step-mother, or have your step-mother arrested or killed.

Fun stuff, and my little off-topic aside is over. ;)


Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 124 comments Amanda wrote: "SPOILER"

I respectfull disagree with your summary.


message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie (katie_jones) | 348 comments Taryn wrote: "Shadyia wrote: "People won't write this because it is the realm of children and they are afraid of hearing "YOU RUINED MY CHILDHOOD!!" I saw Cinderella as a child, but now that I'm grown up, I ask ..."

The only way to actually ruin your childhood fanhood is to have Michael Bay direct the movie ;)


message 41: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments Taryn wrote: "Silly people need to realize that not all fairy tales started out as shiny happy Disney things. The Brothers Grimm, anyone?"

Oh goodness, yes!

(Forgive the derail, please)

The prince proclaimed that he would marry the maiden whose foot would fit the golden slipper. The next morning, the prince went to Aschenputtel's house and tried the slipper on the eldest stepsister. The sister was advised by her mother to cut off her toes in order to fit the slipper. While riding with the stepsister, the two doves from Heaven told the Prince that blood dripped from her foot. Appalled by her treachery, he went back again and tried the slipper on the other stepsister. She cut off part of her heel in order to get her foot in the slipper, and again the prince was fooled. While riding with her to the king's castle, the doves alerted him again about the blood on her foot. He came back to inquire about another girl. The gentleman told him that they kept a kitchen-maid in the house – omitting to mention that she was his own daughter – and the prince asked him to let her try on the slipper. The girl appeared after washing herself, and when she put on the slipper, the prince recognized her as the stranger with whom he had danced at the ball.
In the end, during Aschenputtel's wedding, as she was walking down the aisle with her stepsisters as her bridesmaids, (they had hoped to worm their way into her favour), the doves from Heaven flew down and struck the two stepsisters' eyes, one in the left and the other in the right. When the wedding came to an end, and Aschenputtel and her prince marched out of the church, the doves flew again, striking the remaining eyes of the two evil sisters blind, a punishment they had to endure for the rest of their lives.


But to bring this back on topic, 50 Shades of Grey is a classic Cinderella story. The BDSM feeds our dark beast, the thing inside us all that makes some people believe in Satan or Cthulhu or whatever.

We grew up. YouTube shows (gasp!) bare breasts now. A polite love story is just not gonna cut it.


message 42: by Taryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Taryn (taryngilliland) | 50 comments Katie wrote: "The only way to actually ruin your childhood fanhood is to have Michael Bay direct the movie ;) "

Am I glad I wasn't drinking anything because it would be decorating my monitor. Bravo! :)


message 43: by Cas (new) - rated it 1 star

Cas (elventempest) | 90 comments Shadyia wrote: "It is such a shame we must crawl on our bellies when we confess enjoying something the masses revile.

Favorite quote from George Carlin: "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large g..."

Thanks, makes me feel better. I like Jar Jar... I do... Damn it!!! AND I liked the books more than some other stuff people don't dump on. And I like Nickelback, you know, I do. Look at this photographhhh. This is my not so confession cause' I'm not sorry. I'm not. I need a podium.


message 44: by Somethingblue (last edited Feb 03, 2015 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Somethingblue | 33 comments First, I want to say I really disliked 50 Shades because it made me feel sad and icky. However I don't begrudge anyone and so many people really, really dug it so I say that's fantastic! I am in no way affiliated with this book but after I read 50 Shades, I read the parody book 50 Shames of Earl Grey and then met the author (Fanny Merkin aka Andrew Shaffer) and this was the single most hilarious book I have ever read. Yes, I kept my husband up at night, not because of sexy times, but because I was shaking so hard in bed while laughing my ass off. The ebook is on sale right now too. It's a perfect quick fun read for this month's BDSM theme :) (ps - you're welcome)

PPS I knew 50 Shades from my Twilight days, as it was Twilight fanfic. I never saw the Bella/Edward relationship in this way and that undoubtedly colored my whole perspective.


message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicmo) | 93 comments Anja wrote: "I'd love it if Bonnie could talk about the unsafe elements of BDSM in 50 shades. (As in not that BDSM is unsafe but how the way the characters did BDSM in that book was unsafe. Biking without a hel..."

Here here!


message 46: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 476 comments Creeptastic! 50SoG trailer...in LEGO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7AvZ...


RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 25 comments LOL, 50 Shades of Bricks!


Rebecca Whaley (beckers77) | 80 comments I saw that on Facebook. I laughed so hard!


message 49: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 163 comments *snort*giggle*




message 50: by Tiffany (last edited Feb 20, 2015 09:45AM) (new)

Tiffany I'm disturbed by the fact that this movie is going to be released on Valentine's Day. What does that say about this generation's concept of love? That it's true luuuuurve when your lover hurts you? ... Domineering, controlling men is so 1970's Mills and Boone. I thought we were moving towards more equity in relationships.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top