Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Audible - OneBook?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 449 comments I'm in another online group and someone from there mentioned they were beta testing something called OneBook from Audible.

From the FAQ page:
"At Audible, we believe everyone should experience at least one great audiobook. That's why we created OneBook - so that everyone could enjoy listening to a great title with no strings attached. That's why the first recommendation you accept via OneBook is free. And who better to make the perfect recommendation than the people who know you best?"

So It seems they are planning for us to be able to send any title we own to others for free. But any one person can only get one free title. It sounds like (and I may be wrong, I only have some basic info) that the aim is to send out free books to our friends and hopefully that will encourage them to become ongoing members.

Sounds interesting, anyone else have more info or been invited to be a beta tester?

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 295 comments That does sound interesting.

message 3: by MissSusie (last edited Jan 28, 2015 09:16AM) (new)

MissSusie | 1945 comments check out this link

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answe...

But even that Q&A didn't really tell me how to do it.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1507 comments ok, that's cool! so its kind of like loaning, but they get to keep it

message 5: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1945 comments That's what it looks like but I can't figure out how to send it, or maybe it hasn't been rolled out completely yet.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1507 comments they said in the first post its in beta testing - so that would be my guess

message 7: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments ONE BOOK the same as OVERDRIVEfor people to download books from their local libraries. It is powered by Recorded Books.

ONE BOOK is not as well known as

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 449 comments Mara wrote: "ONE BOOK the same as OVERDRIVEfor people to download books from their local libraries. It is powered by Recorded Books.

ONE BOOK is not as well known as"

No, this is not the same thing. Read the OP, this is a new thing currently being tested by Audible.

message 9: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments ONEBOOK is not as well know as OVERDRIVE since it was one of the first on the market.

I would like to try ONEBOOK, but since my public library is not affiliated with it I can't do so.

OVERDRIVE is okay, but when you can't get permission to update from Microsoft to play non mp3 books. You books will not be played back.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 449 comments Update: the person from the other group sent me a OneBook link. The email header is "Audible Onebook" and then you click on that and it takes you to Audible to download your own copy of the book.

Of course not being in the USA I got the “We're sorry, but only U.S. residents can accept Audible OneBook titles at this time. Please be patient, we're working to expand the program soon!”

So I couldn't actually get the book.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1507 comments You are thinking ONECLICK Maria not ONEBOOK

message 12: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments So it looks like audible have enabled this in the iOS app. I can email/message a free audiobook to anyone from the app, for any book in my library.

There's a limit of one free audiobook per recipient - ever, I assume - but I don't know what the limit for sending free books is.

Audible are calling it Send This Book.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) | 519 comments This might be new for iOS, but it has been around for a long time on the Android app. All that is neccessary to get it is that you first receive a onebook selection from someone else. My app will prompt me to send a onebook selection whenever I boot my app.

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 941 comments Jeffrey wrote: "This might be new for iOS, but it has been around for a long time on the Android app. All that is neccessary to get it is that you first receive a onebook selection from someone else. My app will p..."

I don't know about the iOS/Android availability, but I do know that it was restricted to US residents. With this new roll out, it's now available elsewhere - at least it's available in Canada.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) | 519 comments That is great to hear. Onebook is a wonderful program that allows users to share their favorite books with others. Glad it is finally available somewhere other than just the USA.

message 16: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 416 comments Onebook is now available on Audible UK !

message 17: by Isaurathewriter (last edited Jan 14, 2017 06:07AM) (new)

Isaurathewriter | 1 comments But you also give away your Onebook, right? So we can create a group of Onebook Sharerers?

message 18: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments Back in 2015, OneBook was only available in the US when we discussed it then. The thread is in the archives and can be found here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Glad to see the rolled it out to the UK.