Disfigured Love Disfigured Love discussion

Nikolai and his father

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia WHat in the actual f*ck did I just read?!?! Why was that depraved monster raping his own son?! His wife was barely cold in her grave before he began raping his OWN SON?!?!

Yes, I know he was a sick, abusive man, but why THAT?! We got no indication beforehand that he'd been lusting after the boy. Why not just get a male lover?!

Mstcat Felicia wrote: "WHat in the actual f*ck did I just read?!?! Why was that depraved monster raping his own son?! His wife was barely cold in her grave before he began raping his OWN SON?!?!

Yes, I know he was a sic..."

Okay! (view spoiler)

message 3: by Meka♥books (last edited Jan 28, 2015 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Meka♥books I agree with you ladies. That scene through me for a loop as well. Was definitely out of place and character.

message 4: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Mstcat wrote: "Felicia wrote: "WHat in the actual f*ck did I just read?!?! Why was that depraved monster raping his own son?! His wife was barely cold in her grave before he began raping his OWN SON?!?!

Yes, I k..."

Exactly! Beating or selling him? Ok. That would have fallen in line with his previous actions, but this...
I think you're right. Maybe it was added for shock value. But with no foreshadowing it threw me for a loop and I've stopped reading it... at least for now.

message 5: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Meka wrote: "I agree with you ladies. That scene through me for a loop as well. Was definitely out of place and character."

It was. I've stopped reading for now, but I can only hope that when (or if) I start again that this monster's actions are explained. Like why his wife allowed that to happen. Did she know beforehand that her children would be sold? Did she know what he had in mind for their son? Why was he like that? etc...

Meka♥books I'm at 78% now and I seriously want to stop reading.

message 7: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Meka wrote: "I'm at 78% now and I seriously want to stop reading."

I skimmed through the book and I was very sad to discover (view spoiler) I wonder if the father's behavior is ever explained. (view spoiler) Uuuggghhh. I have to put this book down indefinitely. I just can't...

JewelsyGoolsy Felicia wrote: "WHat in the actual f*ck did I just read?!?! Why was that depraved monster raping his own son?! His wife was barely cold in her grave before he began raping his OWN SON?!?!

Ok hoping possibly shed some light based on my own assumptions (not written or hinted in the book at all)...... (view spoiler). I must say I was intrigued and actually enjoying the book until halfway, then it got worse and worse, then the ending totally dive bombed for me. So if you can't stand the first half of this story, I'm confident enough to say you'll hate the rest of it.

message 9: by Felicia (last edited Feb 10, 2015 02:40PM) (new)

Felicia Your take on the situation is interesting, but why couldn't he pay a prostitute or get a girlfriend?? Clearly he had money and was good-looking. Surely he could have found a brothel somewhere if sex was all he was after.

I stopped reading this one. I was just astonished. The mother's actions (or non-action) was a mystery. The father's vile (never explained) behavior was disgusting. The girl was stupid to extract a promise like that from from her brother knowing he would endure sexual abuse. She had no idea if or when she would ever come back. This book seriously irritated me. They should have drugged/jumped him, then slit his throat.

Meka♥books JewelsyGoosy, you're right on with your assumptions with the Nikolai and his father. I like a good dark read, but this for me was just too disjointed.

JewelsyGoolsy yep, you guys aren't wrong about the disjointedness and unexplained, disgusting actions of the parents. It has made me readjust my ratings as I thought back on how disappointed I was about the middle and ending of the book.

As for the question about why the father didn't take up prostitutes or girlfriends after their mother passed, it seemed that after selling each daughter, they were still only able to afford one good meal for the family and just get by until the next daughter was sold. They also lived far out in the backwoods so commuting for a gf probably wasn't viable without transport and from what I also read, the father really loved Nikolai to the point that he was willing to hold back on selling Lena till the end - to avoid Nikolai's threats of suicide. Again, all this is just from my assumptions as the the author did not really further explain any of this clearly.

message 12: by Felicia (new)

Felicia JewelsyGoolsy wrote: "yep, you guys aren't wrong about the disjointedness and unexplained, disgusting actions of the parents. It has made me readjust my ratings as I thought back on how disappointed I was about the midd..."

That's what confused me. The monster did put off selling Lena after Nikolai's threat. He did seem to genuinely care for Nikolai. That's why I got the impression that he was sexually abusing Nikolai because he desired/was in lust with his son. You make some valid points, JewelsyGoolsy. Your theory makes a lot of sense.

message 13: by Irida (last edited Feb 23, 2015 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Irida Felicia wrote: "WHat in the actual f*ck did I just read?!?! Why was that depraved monster raping his own son?! His wife was barely cold in her grave before he began raping his OWN SON?!?!

He was a disturbing person and monster so don't expect him to have your sense of logic or goodness. We are talking about someone who put his wife's hand in boiling water for god's sake and who sold his daughters knowing that they were going to be abused by other men...Do you think someone like him had problem with the abusing of his own children by that point?? And he didn't rape his daughters because they had bigger value as virgins. And East Europe countries mafia doesn't pay this villagers gold for their daughters, if I told you how much they usually sell them based on true stories you would be shocked.
And here's also the fact that they lived isolated by the world, clearly their father was not social and...like male prisoners who do others male prisoners because they can't have woman even if they don't are into them...this is the same thing.

Keep in mind in his sick mind he tried to change his son's looks by making him wear a dress and didn't want him to cut his hair!

There's no logic in abuse stories.

And I don't understand the bad critics, maybe people expected a fairy tale, but this is a dark romance, so check better the categories when you read something.
To me is a very light dark romance, since other dark romance writers go harder in these topics and I loved it!

I find Georgia an amazing writer and who does very well her homework...She described the mentality and the problems in rural Russia at perfection.
Also in The Billionaire Banker she brought the spirit of Middle east with truthfulness.

She's a writer that never disappoints!

message 14: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Irida wrote: "Felicia wrote: "WHat in the actual f*ck did I just read?!?! Why was that depraved monster raping his own son?! His wife was barely cold in her grave before he began raping his OWN SON?!?!

Yes, I k..."

He was a disturbing person and monster so don't expect him to have your sense of logic or goodness. We are talking about someone who put his wife's hand in boiling water for god's sake and who sold his daughters knowing that they were going to be abused by other men...

I never expected the monster to live by a similar code as I do. All I expected was some explanation for his behavior. The author never provided an explanation as to how he went from being a cold, cruel slave trader to raping his son.

Do you think someone like him had problem with the abusing of his own children by that point??

The fact that the monster had no problem abusing his son (or his daughters if they were of no value) isn't in dispute; the problem is the author offered no explanation for the father raping his son.

And he didn't rape his daughters because they had bigger value as virgins.

Yes, we all got that. That was in no way in dispute or the least bit confusing.

And East Europe countries mafia doesn't pay this villagers gold for their daughters, if I told you how much they usually sell them based on true stories you would be shocked.

No, I wouldn't.

And here's also the fact that they lived isolated by the world, clearly their father was not social and...like male prisoners who do others male prisoners because they can't have woman even if they don't are into them...this is the same thing.

Being isolated and anti-social doesn't automatically make one a rapist. Also, the father was not a prisoner. He could have gone out and gotten another wife and fathered other children to sell. He could have sold his son. He could have visited a brothel. Again, there was no explanation given as to why he chose to start raping his son. What you're doing is guessing and that's what we all have to do because the writer didn't do a passable job explaining the character's motivation.

Keep in mind in his sick mind he tried to change his son's looks by making him wear a dress and didn't want him to cut his hair!

I understand that. Again, that still doesn't explain why he started raping is son.

There's no logic in abuse stories.

That isn't true. Additionally, as a writer the author has an obligation to the reader to explain a character's motivations and the author failed to do that here.

And I don't understand the bad critics, maybe people expected a fairy tale, but this is a dark romance, so check better the categories when you read something.
To me is a very light dark romance, since other dark romance writers go harder in these topics and I loved it!

I am well aware that this is considered a dark romance. It simply isn't a well-written one. It's nice that you loved it. I, however, did not.

I find Georgia an amazing writer and who does very well her homework...She described the mentality and the problems in rural Russia at perfection.
Also in The Billionaire Banker she brought the spirit of Middle east with truthfulness.

I don't think her writing is amazing. I actually can't see myself reading anything else by this author.

She's a writer that never disappoints!

Well, she disappointed me so much I couldn't even finish the book.

Irida "I never expected the monster to live by a similar code as I do. All I expected was some explanation for his behavior. The author never provided an explanation as to how he went from being a cold, cruel slave trader to raping his son."

Only slave, cold trader??? He was an abusive, sick and isolated man, and this was described for 1/3 of the story. GLC gave the reader a lot of material to understand the character and the story.

And there's no motivation to sick behaviors, people are just like that. You want a reason why father rape their children, why they sell them, why they abuse their wives, why they kill?? ...It's psychic!! What and how could that be explained??

And I wasn't explaining with "isolated and antisocial" why he raped his son,to me was pretty clear that he did that because he was sick and abusive, but answered your question why he didn't choose a whore from the village. Georgia make it pretty clear that he was isolated in his world and isolated his children and wife too.

"...as a writer the author has an obligation to the reader to explain a character's motivations and the author failed to do that here."

No they aren't obligated to explain everything to the readers. Usually the most frequent tip given to writers is to not explain everything to their readers, but to keep them on a need-to-know basis and put their brain in motion. Make them think. What you describe as your favorite writer is what I could describe as a very bad one.

The duty of the writer here was to describe the dark sick world of that man and she did.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I think this story is about Lena. The other characters are secondary, and we are told the background with her father to understand where she is mentally at the point that she is sold to Guy. I was able to set aside the issues of her home life as being secondary to the main plot, the story of Lena and Guy, which I found incredibly disturbing, and yet I was unable to put down the book. It just seemed to me that even after her victimization by her father, she is just victimized again by Guy, under the guise of his need and eventual love for her.