Jewish Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Books/Discussions > Book suggestion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (csilver) | 10 comments I'd like to suggest The Liar's Gospel. By Naomi Alderman

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1438 comments Mod
I've heard of that one. I'm game!

message 3: by ✡ Shira (new)

✡ Shira Hoffman (jewishbookclub) | 86 comments Mod
I'm keeping track of all of the book suggestions and we will be voting on them, eventually.
שלומ
description

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (hrhrach) | 8 comments The golem and the DJINNI is soooooo good!! As are many that have been suggested. I liked the lost wife a lot too. I recently started the mathematicians shiva but got derailed for another book. Im getting back to it.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul I'm currently reading White Walls by Judy Batalion. It's a fun book and quick book. The group might want to read it.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1438 comments Mod
I'm looking into the work of John J. Clayton, maybe one of his short-story collections or Mitzvah Man. On his website he provides links to some of his short stories. I read "The Man Who Could See Radiance." Have any of you read him?

message 7: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 57 comments Can I throw my new title into the ring? Here's the blurb from the back cover Becoming Malka:

In pursuit of her Master’s degree in Imperial Russian History, 24 year-old Molly Abramovitz is heading to Moscow for a week long seminar. Never one to miss an opportunity for genealogical research; methodical and meticulous Molly plans a side trip to Ukraine. Intriguingly, her mother, Judith, evokes a favorite Yiddish adage, ‘Man plans and God laughs.’

If Judith had her way, her daughter would still be dressing up in fairy wings and princess crowns- collecting wild flowers and connecting with her spiritual energy, but for Molly; making plans and compiling data came as second nature. She and her father had delighted in spending long, cozy, afternoons cuddled in the library studying ancient family history. David Abramovitz began recounting tales of great-grandparents trekking across Mother Russia when his daughter was still quite young. Captivated, Molly learned how her relatives boarded a ship and sailed across the ocean to reach the shores of Argentina.

Now, at last, Molly’s plans are coming to fruition. Her trek to her ancestral home leads her to an accidental discovery of a mythical tarot card. Will the life lessons revealed on this enchanted journey shake up her staid and uncomplicated life? Only time will tell.

message 8: by Lilo (new)

Lilo (lilo-hp) | 20 comments Mirta wrote: "Can I throw my new title into the ring? Here's the blurb from the back cover Becoming Malka:

In pursuit of her Master’s degree in Imperial Russian History, 24 year-old Molly Abram..."

Mirta, don't tempt me. Your book description sounds enticing, but I presently have no time to read fiction. I am still all into non-fiction. Besides, I am busy chasing neo-Nazis on Goodreads. They keep raising their ugly heads.

Keep your fingers crossed that some time I'll get around to read fiction again. I love your writing style.

message 9: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 57 comments Lilo wrote: "Mirta wrote: "Can I throw my new title into the ring? Here's the blurb from the back cover Becoming Malka:

In pursuit of her Master’s degree in Imperial Russian History, 24 year-o..."

Lilo! Thank you and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.