Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Authors General Chat > Mentioning your tech writing degree...or not

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.B. (new)

A.B. McFarland | 39 comments Hi Authors! I've written a literary novel that includes poetry, and am spiffing up my Author bio to try to include as much of my writing experience as possible, while still being relevant to my potential audience. So I am trying to decide if mentioning my Master's Degree in Technical Communication in my Author Bio is a good idea or a bad one? Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Alyssa

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Put in everything. Whatever your education, experience, whatever, happens to be, throw it all in.

I've always had my bio say graphic designer with over 7 years of experience in marketing, advertising, and publishing, well before I started designing a graphic novel. I've been very honest about my experience. So making the shift from writer to graphic novel artist has been very smooth for me.

You never know. Plenty of tech writers out there. You might find an audiencte with tech writers who happen to enjoy poetry. The point of a bio is to simply show you're human, and this is a part of your life.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 16 comments I agree. Put in everything, you did the hard work to get the degree so why keep it hidden? I put that I like to play board games ( Risk, Catan) in my author profile. I thought initially that i shouldn't as this might seem less professional but then I thought, screw it, the people I want to chat and connect with are the ones who play and like board games/computer games too!

message 4: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 176 comments Why not, I say! After all, it's a sure sign that you're able to handle very different types of writing styles (I don't have a degree, but 8 years of experience in tech writing/communication as well). This in itself is already testimony to how you have progressed and adapted—and still will—as an author. I don't think it'd make readers think ill of you.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments I'm with everyone else, I really can't think of any negative outcomes of mentioning any of that.

message 6: by A.B. (new)

A.B. McFarland | 39 comments Cool. Thanks everyone!

message 7: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I think it may have an influence on how people see you. If you write sci-fi they may recognise a kinsman. If you write deep, psychological, philosophical romance then they may have trouble squaring the two (rightly or wrongly).

I think it's cool. :-)

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
Absolutely mention it. I hate the fact that I don't have enough lavish credentials to slap on a bio or anything else of the sort lol.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments Someone may find it to be a good start for an interview question one of these days.

message 10: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 519 comments my only degrees are IT and business admin, but im a colorblind art school dropout and i could get an english degree but i'd be bored to death (i aced all my english classes but never thought of pursuing a degree). i didnt know what to add on my author bio as i have a variety of interests (card games, video games, war games, comics, religion, martial arts, magic systems, blade collecting and swordfighting). lolz

message 11: by Joseph (last edited Feb 01, 2015 11:46PM) (new)

Joseph N. | 2 comments Haha. On second thought I agree with Virgina, do what you want to do!

message 12: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I'd say, don't let someone else make this decision for you. It's quite a small detail in the end. :-)

message 13: by Samuel (new)

Samuel King | 11 comments Absolutely put it in. I don't have a degree, but I did a fair share of tech writing (specifications, documentation, etc.) during my time in the computer field. You better believe that's in there.