Morales 2341 Spring 2015 Class TTH discussion

30 views
The Duality of Human Nature > "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 41 comments Mod
After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, do you think the people in the village are guilty of murder? Why or why not? Remember to use evidence from the story.


message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments After reading the "The Lottery" by Shirkley Jackson, I do believe that the villagers are guilty of murder. One example would be that the villagers would gather in town square to attend the lottery knowing that someone was going to be stoned. Another example is the people would not pay complete attention to the instructions anymore because they had done it many times.And when Mrs. Delacroix chose a rock she picked one that was very large that she was unable to carry, and if thrown at someone it would cause some damage.


message 3: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments After reading “the lottery” there is no dought that they are murdering people. Even before the lottery would begin the children would collect the rocks to through at the so called winner of the lottery. They are so used to it that they already knew what needed to be done that they didn’t even need to listen to the instructions. People would even choose the bigger rocks that would cause more damage. They seemed to enjoy it every year that they looked forward to it. They would also talk about people that had done away with the lottery as being crazy. In reality I think they are the crazy ones.


message 4: by Joanna (last edited Feb 02, 2015 05:59PM) (new)

Joanna | 60 comments Reading "The Lottery" reminded me of The Hunger Games, where it's kind of like the lottery and the person is chosen. I believe they are just blinded my society, and are not aware of the harm they are doing. Old Man Warner says it's been seventy-seven years he's been in the Lottery, and that is enough time to brain wash the people. Kids already know what to do, and the people don't even listen to the instructions when Mr. Summers is giving them. It's like something that always happens and the people are used to it. Old Man Warner also says "people ain't the way they used to be." Maybe earlier at his time people will actually get worried for anyone who would get chosen by the Lottery, and now all they care about is for someone in particular gets chosen.


message 5: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments In the short story “the lottery”, I highly believe that the people from the village are guilty of murder. The villager’s tradition was so important to the village because every year they had a lottery on the same day of June to sacrifice one of their people to have a great season of crops. They believed that if they wouldn’t have a person to sacrifice their year wouldn’t be great for crops. Children are also part of the lottery no one is saved in the lottery. Everyone knows how the lottery is instructed that no one pays attention to Mr. Summers. It’s so sad that the person who is chosen and is killed no one has any kind of remorse at all. If they don’t have any kind of remorse and they’re too anxious for that day they are guilty of murder it doesn’t matter if it’s a tradition. Tessie became the unlucky winner at the lottery she was stoned to death just for a tradition in the village. The villagers were heartless because as soon as they found who it was Mr. Summers said “finish quickly” they didn’t even feel bad. The villagers didn’t even care who the chosen one was, they would even have fun killing someone. Doesn’t it make you think that if they didn’t care and didn’t feel guilty it’s in my opinion that they are guilty of murder, doing something just for fun?


message 6: by ChristinaMarie (last edited Feb 03, 2015 06:36AM) (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments In “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, I truly believe that the people of the village are guilty of murder. They are participating in this murder tradition where one person is chosen once a year in the month of June and is stoned to death for crops. The villagers gather up in this square area and everyone in town is assigned to pick a paper with each villager’s name from a box. The one, who is chosen at last, is the person who has to be murdered. I definitely think they are guilty because they don’t even care that they are murdering someone and are enjoying it at the same time. The villagers see this “tradition” as a joke and I don’t think it’s right. These people are cruel to even follow what they believe is right and to top it off, it is including children’s lives as well. For example in the story, Mrs. Delacroix is one of the most heartless villagers to not only participate in the murder of Mrs. Hutchinson but also to choose a large stone to hit her with. Mrs. Hutchinson died instantly as the whole town threw stones at her and her last words were, “It isn’t fair, it isn’t right”.


message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments By: Eric De Leon
Upon reading “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, I feel I can conclude that the people of the village certainly did murder Mrs. Hutchinson. It never actually states that she was murdered in this story. However, one would be hard pressed to arrive at different deduction when line 78 confirms that a stone “hit her on the side of the head.” Then there is the ominous last line, where she is protesting to a clearly undesirable fate about to befall her, when suddenly “Mr. Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her.” There is evidence throughout story, if one looks closely enough, where author foreshadows what is to come. The author describes a small rural farming community of just over 300 that is mired in tradition. “Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon,” old man Warner states, offering the only inkling as to the purpose of this lottery in line 32. It is not made clear what winning this lottery will determine, but one gets the overall sense of dread emanating from the villagers as they go up to draw their slips for this lottery. The word “nervous” is used twice in reference to the lottery drawing in lines 20 and 27. Once all the pieces are put together, this reader came to the horrifying conclusion that Mrs. Hutchinson was offered as a blood sacrifice for a good harvest by those villagers.


message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I believe the villagers had no choice but to go with tradition. They have been doing this ritual for seventy seven years even more perhaps, so to them this might not mean murder. As it is said in the story “Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon,” old man Warner states. I believe that they are using there own people as a sacrifice so they can have a great season of crops or food. I have heard of these types of rituals in TV shows and books before, and many of these people believe that their blood or death is powerful enough to bring food on the table. This is natural to them. But, we who have never dealt with these situations cannot relate to them. At the end of the day, I believe the people need to stand up for their own beliefs and think about what they are doing. They have to make a choice from right or wrong. But who are we to judge because at the end we are doing the same. I've always said that we do not live in a civilized world because unlike animals who don't kill their own, we do.


message 9: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments After analyzing the reading, “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson I believe that the villagers who participate in chucking the stones at Mrs. Hutchinson might be guilty of murder, but it seems as more of a sacrifice so technically volunteering to participate in a ritual where everyone knows the consequence is definitely going to be hard for a prosecution to prove as murder. The story has more to it, Old man Warner says, “Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon” suggesting “the lottery” as a sacrificial ritual for agricultural sufficiency. The black box itself represents tradition and custom because the same one is used over again. I also think the black box represents death as well as the black circle drawn in on the paper slip.


message 10: by ChristinaMarie (last edited Feb 03, 2015 11:34AM) (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Jessica wrote: "After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I believe the villagers had no choice but to go with tradition. They have been doing this ritual for seventy seven years even more perhaps, so to the..."

Hi Jessica, I see your point of view on everything and I agree to the fullest. The villagers were being murderers and do see it as something natural but in reality, it isn't. Also, you are so right about the humankind killing their own unlike animals who don't. Society today includes a lot of killing.


message 11: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 42 comments In the short story "the lottery", it is a tradition to gather at the town square and throw stones to whoever the winner of the lottery is. Since its a tradition and everybody is used to it, I don't see why anybody is guilty of murder since nobody is against the act. I would consider the people of the town guilty of murder if the person who was the winner of the lottery would have already being against the tradition and forced to participate before she became the winner. Since the winner of the lottery was supporting the act of the murder before she was chosen, no body was really guilty of murder. She would have done the same thing as everybody in the town if somebody else would have been the winner. Every body in the town are committing murder but they are not guilty of it since everybody was supporting and participating in it. "The people have done it so many times that they only half listened to the directions", this sentence from the story proves that everybody knew what was going on with the ritual and they saw it as a normal thing to do.


message 12: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments After reading “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. I do think that the people in the village are guilty of murder. In my point of view no one has the right to take someone else’s life away. A murder will always be a murder no matter what you’re intentions are. In this story we see clearly on how the people themselves go along with this nonsense. For example, “Tessie Hutchinson was in the center of a cleared space by now, and she held her hands out desperately as the villagers move in on her,” said on the story. This quote comes to show that people in the village are guilty of murder. The fact that the villagers didn’t care on killing her and were just moving in on her comes to show they are guilty of murder. Otherwise, they would put a stop to everything that goes on in the village by not participate and moving in on her like that. Another way of not participating is by not sowing up to the gather where they know they are going to kill some unlucky person who was randomly picked in a lottery. People can also move somewhere else where they know they are not going to kill innocent unlucky people yearly.


message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric Campos | 19 comments Eric Campos
After reading "The Lottery" it was a little disturbing and it reminded me of the film, The Purge. In the sense of it was all for a greater good of the town. As so if one person had to die so that everyone could live their lives cleansed. So is it considered murder if everyone is okay with it? In some way it is called murder because they are taking a life but the whole town is in on it and agree upon it. You cant send the whole town to jail and this leads me to believe that officers of the town are in on it too or maybe this town has no laws. The author doesn't say only makes you think that maybe there are or maybe not. This story is very intriguing and leaves a lot of questions unanswered but what shocks me the most is the era it was written in. That's why so many disapproved it when it was published in the, New Yorker. my conclusion is that its not murder if the whole town agrees with it and accepts that it could be one of them next.


message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Cavazos | 13 comments After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I believe the people in the village are guilty of murder. All the young boys gathered a pile of rocks in the beginning of the story knowing what they were going to be used for. They all had to attend and the lottery was held once a year for several years. It was set up for one person to be killed, or tortured till death by beating with the rocks. They all knew it would lead to that and they would all still attend and participate, some without hesitation. The people in the village knew what was going to happen because they wouldn't completely pay attention to the directions that were being given because they had heard them several times before. The younger boys were lucky because they didn't have to participate in the lottery but when Bill Hutchinson got chosen and his children were picking out a paper, everyone was hoping it wouldn't be any of them. Usually, as the story makes it seem, only the men participate and get chosen, so when Mrs. Hutchinson was chosen I thought people would be lenient. The sad part was that Mrs. Delacroix, someone she talked to in the beginning, was picking up a rock that was too heavy for her , showing she had no mercy for the woman and what damage she would do to her with the rock. The lottery was set up for one person to get stoned so I believe they are all guilty of murder.


message 15: by Erick (last edited Feb 04, 2015 10:47AM) (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments By Erick Lopez
The story takes place on a normal sunny day. Summer just arrive, school just ended and kids play freely on a flower blossoming field. Nothing unusual right? Around ten o’clock, the entire town start getting prepare for “The Lottery”. Kids start to collect the “smoothest” and “roundest “rocks for the event. As the story goes , a man with the name of Mr. Summers arrives bringing with him a “splintered, faded” and “stained “box. Papers with the names of each head family member of the town are placed inside of the box. Suddenly, a women with the name of Ms. Tessie Hutchinson arrives late for the even. Everyone in the town believes that she misfits, as she does not does not seems to be very interested in to the tradition. As the lottery takes place, the Hutchinson family gets selected. Tessie argues that “it was not fair” and question the way how lottery works. Now each Hutchinson family member names are placed in to the box. Tessie Hutchison gets selected and again she questions the way how lottery works. It is not fair! She claimed to people, but they just wouldn’t listen, the winner was set. Her reward? Being stoned by the entire town until dead, even her s little children “Davy” joins the horrific act. An entire town just killed a person, apparently because she misfit in to their society. She was the only one that dint really wanted to be part of “The Lottery”, an old and senseless tradition.Now, are they guilty of murder?
From what I understand being guilty means being responsible of a crime. On the story, nobody argues that murder is bad. in fact everyone seems to approve the act. Murder is not seen as a crime on the town, it is totally legal to kill. There is no crime committed, everyone is free of being guilty of murder.


message 16: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments After reading “The Lottery”by Shirley Jackson, I have to the conclusion that the villagers in the story are murderers. The story gives many clues proving that the participants in the lottery are murderers. First, the children in the story are the first to get there to gather stones and are excited for the commencement of the lottery and the parents are fine with it. Usually children follow and learn their behaviors from their parents and the children's attitudes toward the lottery is a reflection of their parents beliefs. Secondly, the townspeople are in such a hurry to finish and just get it over so they can eat lunch and get back to work. This showing a people that are so numb to a horrendous act because of tradition. Finally, Mrs. Hutchinson own son joins in the throwing of the rocks grabbing a handful of pebbles throw at his own mother. These attitudes the townspeople have reflect a society that shows no remorse and would easily murder without any sort of guilty conscious because in their mind their actions are not only socially accepted but for the greater good of the town.


message 17: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments In my perspective I do believe the people in the village are guilty of murder. They all stoned her to death for a ritual they believed. In one of the sentences the story says, “Although the villagers had forgotten the ritual and lost the original box, they still remembered to use stones.” Since the beginning of the story it mentions how everyone was preparing for the ritual by gathering stones. This was already a murder scene thought out like if it was a celebration to them. Mrs. Hutchinson screamed “It is not fair.” To me, that was a scream of despair and tremor knowing she was about to be murdered. Then it mentions Mrs. Delacroix selecting a stone so large she had to pick it up with both hands. For someone to be hit with a rock that big is definitely a weapon to kill someone. Then she encourages Mrs. Dunbar by telling her, “Come on, hurry up.” Mrs. Delacroix sounds willingly to do the crime; she was just enthusiastic in participating in the ritual. I feel bad for Tessie Hutchinson as she stood in the center and all the villagers moved in on her while she held her hands desperately repeating, “It isn’t fair.”


message 18: by Jaqueline (last edited Feb 04, 2015 10:41AM) (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I would say the people of the village are guilty of murder. During the lottery, the head of each family draws a slip of paper from a box. Then, each member of the family that draws a marked slip draws again. As I understood it, the member of the family to draw the slip with a mark on it is stoned to death. The fate of drawing the marked slip falls upon Mrs. Hutchinson. Even though it is never clearly stated that Mrs. Hutchinson was killed, we know that the villagers had already gathered stones before the lottery started and as she protests we're told that "A stone hit her on the side of the head." According to the story, the lottery has been going on for longer than the oldest villager has been alive - over 70 years. We're also told that some towns that previously held such an event had recently stopped. There are subtle hints throughout the story that let us know that there are some villagers who are not happy about the event, or wish it didn't have to happen. For example, when we're told that the villagers joked quietly and "smiled rather than laughed," it gives the impression of nervousness among the villagers. One woman, Mrs. Dunbar, repeatedly says "I wish they'd hurry," which again indicates nervousness. Most importantly, as soon as her family draws the marked slip of paper, Mrs. Hutchinson argues incessantly that "It isn't fair, it isn't right." This proves that not all the villagers approved of the lottery, but even that isn't where the problem lies. Whether the villagers were used to it or not, they still took someone's life. Even though it seems like most of the villagers are indifferent to the event, that does not undo nor does it justify the act of killing a person.


message 19: by Yuri (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:42AM) (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments Jesus wrote: "After reading “the lottery” there is no dought that they are murdering people. Even before the lottery would begin the children would collect the rocks to through at the so called winner of the lot..."
Jesus I agree with you that this town is crazy. They all were prepared and ready to do the crime. I like how you mentioned they already knew what had to be done because they did not even listened to the instructions, good point.


message 20: by Alexa (last edited Feb 03, 2015 08:42PM) (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments I think the people from the village are both guilty and innocent of murder. The name of the story itself can deceive a reader because playing the lottery and winning correlates with fun, happiness, money, and excitement. But ironically the winner in this story is killed by stones. A few examples are given throughout the story that signify how desensitized they are from playing "the lottery". Before the lottery even begins everyone is half distracted instead of listening to the rules, this shows how accustomed they've become to the game, and they already know how it’s played very well. They choose to play this game due to years of tradition and the belief of their uneducated ancestors claiming it is the way to receive good harvest. When Terrie, a mother and wife, wins the lottery some people go to the extent of grabbing the bigger rocks to cause more damage, this shows how some possibly even enjoy stoning these innocent “winners”. So I would say they are guilty and aware that they are ending a life but due to their ignorance, believe it is the right thing to do as a community. This brings up the big issue of morals and religious beliefs against what is ethical or harmful to others.


message 21: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments After I finished reading the story of “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, I came to the conclusion that the people from the village are the ones responsible for the murder of Tessie Hutchinson. The villagers are guilty of the murder because they already knew what was going to happen to the person that took out the paper with the back spot on it. At beginning of the story, in paragraph 2, “bobby and harry jones and dickie delacroix the villagers pronounced this name “dellacroy" eventually made a great pile of stones in one corner of the square and guarded it against the raid of the other boys.” This shows that the children were already getting prepared to stone the unlucky villager who was going to get the paper with the black spot. They also mention in paragraph 27, “by now, all through the crowd there were men holding the small folded papers in their large hands, turning them over and over nervously.” In this quote from the story I could tell that everyone in the village knew what was going to happen to the person holding the paper with the black spot. I started to believe that they sacrificed villagers so that their crops would grow because they mentioned in paragraph 32, “used to be a saying about 'lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.' first thing you know we'd all be eating stewed chickweed and acorns.” And towards the end of the story when they found out that Tessie had the paper with the black spot on it, in paragraph 73 Mr. Summers said "all right, folks… let's finish quickly." This is what he said before they stoned Tessie.


message 22: by ChristinaMarie (last edited Feb 03, 2015 11:37AM) (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Miguel wrote: "In the short story "the lottery", it is a tradition to gather at the town square and throw stones to whoever the winner of the lottery is. Since its a tradition and everybody is used to it, I don't..."

Hi Miguel, I see your point in what you are saying. It's a tradition that they have been doing for so long that they don't see anything wrong with murdering someone a year. But I still believe they are still guilty of murder because even though to them it's normal and is a tradition, they are still committing the act of killing.


message 23: by Frank Corral (new)

Frank Corral | 19 comments After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I understand that the villagers are blindly following tradition, they simply follow their old ways without asking "why" this tradition exist or if it’s right. The villagers are guilty of murder, this much is true, but something much darker is actually happening than simply following this old way of life. They are satisfying an old primal instinct, they get a thrill from killing, they want the rush of seeing blood and watching their victims suffer. This ritual is fascinating as it is stated in the reading that “Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon”, they are following a harvest ritual much like the Aztecs would sacrifice prisoners for their harvest. My reasoning behind accusing the villagers of murder is that my understanding of murder would be the premeditated killing of an individual against their own will. In the very beginning it is stated “the whole lottery took less than two hours, so it could begin at ten o’clock in the morning and still be through in time to get home for noon dinner” this is premeditated, and at the very end of the text when the villagers gathered for the killing “come on come on everyone” Steve Adams in front of the crowd pumping them up, and in retaliation by Mrs. Hutchinson screams “it isn't fair, it isn't right”. The villagers took her life and she was definitely not OK with it.


message 24: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Gonzalez | 25 comments After reading and analyzing "The Lottery", I believe that Shirley Jackson was sick and had issues for writting such a story. In the Modern day when this story took place, men did not have to take the guilt for thier blood lust. It was a community activity/tradition where, while someone was executed there was no excecutioner. No one was guilty and muder was a tradition in that quiet village where the lottery took place. OldMan Warner had done this for "seventy seven" years. The children were the first to gather at the "ritual", since school was recently out for the Summer. Piling stones as if they were gonna play a game without understanding why. As the villagers began attacking the innocent victim, "the children had stones already, and somone gave little Davy Hutchinson a few pebbles" Dave, the son of Tessi, was too young to understand he must help kill his mother. So the adults show him what he must do. The children are tought to be like everyone else learning these hoorible morals. There was no love in that town.


message 25: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Once I read the story the lottery I came to find that the village is in fact murders. What makes all this more sick is that the children think it is ok to throw rocks at a persona and watch them die in agony and pain. The children are even trained to gather up stones to their liking to kill a person. The lottery is a tradition of the town were all the town goers gather up putting each family members name in a box, if one of the family members draws from the box and it is marked they are chosen to be stoned. A lady named Mrs. Hutchinson got chosen. The villagers knew exactly what they were up to and what they were doing, “ the people had done it so many times that they only half listed to the directions; most of them were quiet ,wetting their lips, not looking around”, in other words they have killed someone in this brutal way before. The villagers showed her no mercy as Mrs. Hutchinson yelled out, “ it’s is not fair, it’s not fair”, the villagers went ahead and stoned her anyways. Although in the text it does not say if Mrs. Hutchinson died or not, it is safe to conclude she did die that day. In a very sad and painful way. The villager s are cruel sick people to allow and continue this in my opinion.


message 26: by Risa.Garcia (new)

Risa.Garcia | 33 comments Throughout reading the literary piece, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, it is without a doubt in my mind that the adults of the village are in fact guilty of murder. Each and every year on the twenty seventh of June, the people of the village congregate in the midst of the village square, which is located in between the post office and the bank. They do so to partake in a ritual which is a traditional ceremony brought about in villages throughout. This ceremony is a "gamble" to decide on one person to be stoned to death by fellow villagers. As proven throughout Shirley Jackson's literalism, the victim of the lottery is innocent and is not willing to sacrifice their life either. In fact, the victim in this year's lottery, Mrs. Hutchinson clearly states, "It isn't fair, it isn't right". Many others as well as neighboring villages believe the lottery is not a valid tradition any longer as well; preferably because they too do not believe in any meaning withstanding this tradition. Old Man Warner argues, "those crazy fools". All in all, this is insane and I personally do not understand any reasoning behind it.


message 27: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Yuri wrote: "In my perspective I do believe the people in the village are guilty of murder. They all stoned her to death for a ritual they believed. In one of the sentences the story says, “Although the village..."

Yuri, I agree with you poor Mrs. Hutchison she had arrived late to the gathering and she was already in fear. Then, she was the chosen one from the lottery, she wasn't happy about this tradition they had but unfortunately she was sacrificed by everyone.


message 28: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Jaime wrote: "After reading and analyzing "The Lottery", I believe that Shirley Jackson was sick and had issues for writting such a story. In the Modern day when this story took place, men did not have to take ..."
Jaime, I totally agree with you that Jackson was sure sick and maybe a little crazy. Yes back in the days they were not guilty of murder but for our type of decade it is and to my eyes they're guilty of murder.


message 29: by Maria (last edited Feb 03, 2015 04:19PM) (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Joanna wrote: "Reading "The Lottery" reminded me of The Hunger Games, where it's kind of like the lottery and the person is chosen. I believe they are just blinded my society, and are not aware of the harm they a..."
Hello Joanna, I agree with you. It is pretty scary to think that people can be manipulated to commit such a crime as murder and think that it is okay .As it was mentioned in the story that there were only 300 people in the village and it would not take long for the lottery and after the lottery the village people can go one home in time for lunch. To think after stoning someone to death and just say okay time for lunch. An get on with there life as if nothing took place.


message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Eric wrote: "Eric Campos
After reading "The Lottery" it was a little disturbing and it reminded me of the film, The Purge. In the sense of it was all for a greater good of the town. As so if one person had to ..."

Hey Eric, I see your point of view and it is a tradition in this town to have someone stoned.I believe that the people feel that it is wrong but, this is the only way of life they have been taught for many many years and fear of what can happen to them if they do, say and think different than everyone else.


message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments Jessica wrote: "After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I believe the villagers had no choice but to go with tradition. They have been doing this ritual for seventy seven years even more perhaps, so to the..."

Hi Jessica. I would say that it is very difficult to go against tradition. Most people follow blindly what they're born into. One must be mindful though, just because is tradition, doesn't mean its necessarily good.


message 32: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments Jaqueline wrote: "After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I would say the people of the village are guilty of murder. During the lottery, the head of each family draws a slip of paper from a box. Then, each ..."

Hi Jaqueline. Well, I find myself in agreement with your assessment. I also caught on to the subtle hints of tension the villagers felt prior to the concluding events and it was rewarding to see someone else pick up on that.


message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Gilbert wrote: "After analyzing the reading, “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson I believe that the villagers who participate in chucking the stones at Mrs. Hutchinson might be guilty of murder, but it seems as more ..."

Gilbert, I agree that it will be hard to get a case out of this story because everyone committed the act of murder. Also, they sacrificed their people to grow crops in the summer.


message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Arlette.Cortez wrote: "After reading “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. I do think that the people in the village are guilty of murder. In my point of view no one has the right to take someone else’s life away. A murder w..."

Hi Arlette. I do agree that no one has the right to take someones life away. Also, people should not follow traditions that they believe is wrong.


message 35: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments Yadira wrote: "In the short story “the lottery”, I highly believe that the people from the village are guilty of murder. The villager’s tradition was so important to the village because every year they had a lott..."

Yadira, I read and understood your reason as to why they should be considered guilty of murder. You said "It’s so sad that the person who is chosen and is killed no one has any kind of remorse at all." I strongly agree that the people are so used to this disturbing act that they've become emotionally absent and you could say some even enjoy it.


message 36: by Alexa (last edited Feb 03, 2015 08:47PM) (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments Ricardo wrote: "After reading “The Lottery”by Shirley Jackson, I have to the conclusion that the villagers in the story are murderers. The story gives many clues proving that the participants in the lottery are mu..."

Ricardo, after reading your response I could agree more with the fact that it should be considered murder, especially when you explain how the sons of the victim could actually throw stones at their own mother. But you also said how "These attitudes the townspeople have reflect a society that shows no remorse and would easily murder without any sort of guilty conscious because in their mind their actions are not only socially accepted but for the greater good of the town." So I wondered how you could not give them credit on their lack of moral standards and beliefs, could they really be blamed for a concrete tradition they believe in?


message 37: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Eric wrote: "Eric Campos
After reading "The Lottery" it was a little disturbing and it reminded me of the film, The Purge. In the sense of it was all for a greater good of the town. As so if one person had to ..."


Hello , Eric I agree this story reminds me of the purge as well, cause in the movie and story the whole town is ok with killing one another. I see where you are coming from where you say it is not considered murder ,because it could be done on one of them as well, but Mrs. Hutchinson wasn't agreeing and she kept on screaming "it's not fair", so I have to disagree on you with that.


message 38: by Janetrendon (last edited Feb 03, 2015 09:53PM) (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Jesus wrote: "After I finished reading the story of “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, I came to the conclusion that the people from the village are the ones responsible for the murder of Tessie Hutchinson. The v..."I hope this is the correct Jesus....Jesus Manzanres, anyways I like that you used paragraph quotes to support you main ideas from the story , it helps understand the concept of this story. Indeed the town knew exactly what was coming when they held those pieces of paper,they knew whoever got chosen would die getting stoned to death,which is why you could get a sense of tension as you read "The Lottery". Yes, I definitely agree with you that the whole town is responsible for the murder of Tessie Hutchinson, even though it is not clearly stated you may as well conclude that with the quote you used, " " in paragraph 73 Mr. Summers said "all right, folks… let's finish quickly." This is what he said before they stoned Tessie."".


message 39: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments Jessica wrote: "After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I believe the villagers had no choice but to go with tradition. They have been doing this ritual for seventy seven years even more perhaps, so to the..."


From reading your comment you didn’t really made it clear whether the villagers are guilty of murder or not. Base on the information you put down I am going to conclude that you don’t think the villagers are guilty of murder. Which I don’t agree with you on. Although I do think you have good reasons on why you don’t see the villagers as murders. For example, you mention how it was a tradition and how everybody has their own believes. From my point of view it seems like you are okay with that and you respect their tradition even if it involves ending with someone’s life. Another reason you gave was that people can make their own choice. I’m with you on that one. I do agree on people making their own decisions and if they don’t like it they can stand up for themselves or they can leave the village. Regardless of what they can do the point is that they are not doing it and a murder will always be a murder no matter what the reason is.


message 40: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments ChristinaMarie wrote: "In “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, I truly believe that the people of the village are guilty of murder. They are participating in this murder tradition where one person is chosen once a year in t..."


Yes Christina, I absolutely agree with you. The villagers are guilty of murder because regardless of what the intentions are a murder will always be a murder no matter what. I also agree on the fact that you mention on how the villagers were cruel, heartless, and take this tradition as a joke. If you really think about it when you are sacrificing something or someone you do it with honor and respect the total opposite of what the villagers were doing. For example, the villagers didn’t care who the sacrificed person was going to be. The villagers just wanted to get the sacrifice out of the way once they knew it wasn’t them. I also find them heartless and ask myself how people can live with that guilt on their heads. The fact you took someone’s life away even though they were begging and screaming not to do it because it wasn’t fair and it wasn’t right.


message 41: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Joanna wrote: "Reading "The Lottery" reminded me of The Hunger Games, where it's kind of like the lottery and the person is chosen. I believe they are just blinded my society, and are not aware of the harm they a..."
"Blinded by society" Awesome explanation of the townspeople.


message 42: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Erick wrote: "By Erick Lopez
The story takes place on a normal sunny day. Summer just arrive, school just ended and kids play freely on a flower blossoming field. Nothing unusual right? Around ten o’clock, th..."

Great summary of the story and key quotes that symbolize great points in the story. Focus more about answering the question.


message 43: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments Miguel wrote: "In the short story "the lottery", it is a tradition to gather at the town square and throw stones to whoever the winner of the lottery is. Since its a tradition and everybody is used to it, I don't..."

I used to think that the entire town were guilty of murder, but after reading what actually guilty stands for, I change my mine. The word guilty stands for being responsible for a "reprehensible act or crime". That being said, the entire town does not sees murder as a "reprehensible act or crime". Nobody get punished by stoning some to dead. They are totally free of guilty.


message 44: by Risa.Garcia (new)

Risa.Garcia | 33 comments Arlette.Cortez wrote: "After reading “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. I do think that the people in the village are guilty of murder. In my point of view no one has the right to take someone else’s life away. A murder w..."

Hi Arlette! I think I can speak for the whole class when I say we all agree that the people of this village are guilty of murder. I especially agree with the textual evidence you used to support your opinion! By holding her hands out desperately, it is proof Tessie Hutchinson did not want to die and this proves the villagers to be taking a life.


message 45: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments Erick wrote: "By Erick Lopez
The story takes place on a normal sunny day. Summer just arrive, school just ended and kids play freely on a flower blossoming field. Nothing unusual right? Around ten o’clock, th..."


Hi Erick, so do you think this was murder? As you mention, some people acted as if they didn't wanted to be part of it but still did it. Do you think they were forced? Maybe they just want to do what everyone els does right? The society is messed up, and people would need to speak up in order to stop this.


message 46: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Maria wrote: "After reading the "The Lottery" by Shirkley Jackson, I do believe that the villagers are guilty of murder. One example would be that the villagers would gather in town square to attend the lottery ..."

Hello, Maria. I agree that the villagers seemed apathetic towards what was going to happen to Mrs. Hutchinson. I think their lack of compassion makes them more guilty of murder, in a way. But, in my opinion, they'd be guilty whether they showed compassion or not.


message 47: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments Risa wrote: "Throughout reading the literary piece, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, it is without a doubt in my mind that the adults of the village are in fact guilty of murder. Each and every year on the twe..."

Hi Risa, it can be said that the people are murders since they kill the winner of the lottery. It can also be said that they are blinded by society and maybe too afraid to speak up. Some didn't want to be part of it, but why wouldn't they speak up? I don't think all of them should be considered murders because I believe they do it by thinking they are sacrificing the winner for a better life.


message 48: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Gilbert wrote: "After analyzing the reading, “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson I believe that the villagers who participate in chucking the stones at Mrs. Hutchinson might be guilty of murder, but it seems as more ..."

Hey, Gilbert. I think you're right in saying that it would be hard to prove the entire town guilty of murder, since it is something they've been doing for decades. However, I firmly believe they were guilty.


message 49: by Risa.Garcia (new)

Risa.Garcia | 33 comments Ricardo wrote: "After reading “The Lottery”by Shirley Jackson, I have to the conclusion that the villagers in the story are murderers. The story gives many clues proving that the participants in the lottery are mu..."

Good afternoon Ricardo, of course I agree with your belief of the villagers being murders. I like how detailed your perspective come through in your post; how you pointed out they made the lottery send like no big deal. The villagers did not show any remorse and wanted to just get things over with.


message 50: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments Joanna wrote: "Erick wrote: "By Erick Lopez
The story takes place on a normal sunny day. Summer just arrive, school just ended and kids play freely on a flower blossoming field. Nothing unusual right? Around t..."

From my prospective, the entire town is totally exempt of being guilty. Killing somebody is not seen as a crime on the town, nobody get punished by doing it. Now are they forced? Well, imagine if someone really misses the event? is it optional to assist or participate on the event? No, they are forced in some way to assist. They may get punished for it. Maybe, being absent is really a crime on the town.


« previous 1
back to top