Morales 2341 Spring 2015 Class MW discussion

The Lottery
This topic is about The Lottery
81 views
The Duality of Human Nature > "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 46 comments Mod
After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, do you think the people in the village are guilty of murder? Why or why not? Remember to use evidence from the story.


message 2: by Kirsten (last edited Feb 02, 2015 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirsten Nelson | 62 comments In "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I do not think the people in the village are guilty of murder. It is tradition for people of the village to gather around the square and for the head of the household in each family to draw out a piece of paper from the black box. Once every household member got a paper they needed to unfold the paper. If the paper had a big pencil dot in the middle it meant that the person was unlucky. Stones would get thrown at the person until they were beat to death. Although some people didn't agree with this tradition and many other villages had discontinued it, it was mandatory for that small town to continue the lottery. Warner, the oldest man in that town, believed that if they didn't have the lottery corn crops would not grow. It would seem foolish when someone would want to end the tradition because they saw it as cruel. Old man Warner would call those people "Pack of crazy fools...nothing is good for them." He also states, "Lottey in June, corn to be heavy soon" this is the saying that keep the tradition going. Without this tradition the people believed their crops would not grow; therefor, I do not think the people in the village are guilty of murder.


message 3: by Yvonne (last edited Feb 01, 2015 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yvonne Torres | 72 comments It’s only obvious that the villagers are guilty of murder. At first the story started with a sunny summer day, flowers were blooming, and children were playing enjoying their summer vacation. In my mind I imagined a beautiful typical summer day. The children gathered stones as they played which I thought was just innocent child’s play. Little did I know that those stones were piled for a gruesome act. The villagers gathered together in the middle of town for their annual lottery. One could only assume that the people of the village would be enthusiastic about a social gathering. Especially a social event such as a lottery. A lottery always involves a winner and who doesn’t want to be a winner, right? Well I was completely wrong. In fact this lottery didn’t involve a prize whatsoever. And then things took a strange turn towards the end of the story. I guess I should have seen it coming by the way the villagers were acting. There was tension in the air. Everyone in the crowd was tense, nervous, scared, and eager. As their names were being called people would hold their breaths. When the slip paper was handed to them, people wouldn’t dare look down at it. They nervously fidgeted the slip of paper in their hands. There was a sense of relief after they realized that their slip of paper was not dotted. It’s only evident that the villagers were murders. They all picked up the stones that had been intentionally piled for this heinous senseless tradition. It’s apparent that Mrs. Hutchinson was murdered. She was struck in the head by a stone and the villagers enclosed themselves around her as they continue to throw stones. Tradition or not its still murder.


“… the whole lottery took less than two hours, so it could begin at ten o'clock in the morning and still be through in time to allow the villagers to get home for noon dinner.” The Lottery by Shirley Jackson


message 4: by Suzette (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:38AM) (new)

Suzette Sanchez (slelysanchez) | 53 comments I do believe that the village people are definetely guilty of murder. i have to say when i was reading the story it certainly took a turn for the worse. In my opinion it seemed as if they are stoning innocent people. You could imagine the fear these people had going up to the box and receiving a paper. In the beginning of the story it described that other villages that had more people, and took two days to do this and this was a small town village with 300 people, i could say that the innocent people in the village lived each day with great fear considering they could be stoned to death because of the Lottery. I Couldn't imagine how Tessie felt when children were throwing stones at her, for her to say "it isn't fair, it isn't right" just shows how scared she was. For her to express that, makes me believe that yes this was a wicked crime, and stoning innocent people is a terrible way to die. Of course they are guilty of murder, i don't believe people should continue in a tradition where you have to sacrifice a human being for crops to grow, its myth, that crops will not grow unless this tradition is continued.


Shanda Brunson | 64 comments In the story "The Lottery" the villagers are guilty of murder. At the beginning the whole village starts to gather first the children, then the men and then the women take their place alongside their husbands. As the boys were gathering Bobby Martin had already filled his pockets full of stones and all the other boys followed. This is a representation of the younger following what the older boys are doing. The boys made a pile of stones and was guarded. The girls on the other hand stood to the side. "The lottery was conducted-as were the square dances, the teenage club, the Halloween program-by Mr. Summers, who had time and energy to devote to civic activities." This quote clearly makes the statement that the lottery was just another event on the calendar. Mr. Summers carried a black box with pieces of paper in it and each villager had to draw one piece of paper out of it. You could not look at the paper till everyone had drawn their piece. If you drew the piece of paper till everyone had drawn to see which family was chosen. There are many references in the story to changing certain things about the lottery. For instance in the beginning they used wood chips but it was eventually changed to paper but not without resistance. The black box itself Mr. Summers wanted to redo but it would upset tradition so it was not done. When it was time for the village to see which family was picked it was revealed it was the Hutchinson family. So with tradition each family member chose another paper to see if they got the paper with black dot on it. Tessie the wife was adamant that the lottery wasn't fair and there was even people in the crowd saying other places have quit the lottery. The eldest of the village still holds true to his beliefs and says "Nothing but trouble in that" The Hutchinson family each draws a paper and the one with the black dot is Jessie she will be the one stoned to death. The children of the village gather their stones and with Old man Warner's encouragement the crowd engulfs Tessie with her last words saying "it isn't fair"the stoning begins.The villagers as a society conformed to this behavior because it was a tradition that had taken place for so long and even though they knew it to be wrong they still did it. As a society we do not question authority or what our elders have been doing for so long we conform and that is what these villagers did. It is still murder because a life was taken. There is no justification for taking of this woman's life she had done no harm to anyone she had not committed a crime. This lottery was all set up on chance. She was unlucky so she deserved to die, this is inhumane. The village was not better off without her and there were some in the crowd you sensed hated doing this heinous act. But in the end no one was willing to stand up to the elders they just conformed and did what was expected. You can relate this to the Holacaust so many Jews died a senseless death because they carried out orders of Hitler. The german society knew Hitler was wrong and his top soldiers have even said they knew in their hearts that it was wrong but once again conformity prevailed. Society as a whole conforming instead of thinking and doing what is right and questioning authority.


Monique Freitag | 53 comments I absolutely think the people of the village are guilty of murder. The story starts out as if it’s a typical summer day with children playing and what not. The adults making small talk with each other and making jokes. Everything seemed normal with a slight tense undertone. When the children were gathering rocks, I thought it was going to be for the purpose of skipping them in a big body of water or just for collection purposes. That was not the case whatsoever, instead it was in preparation of a grisly tradition that is played off very nonchalant. The village partook in what they referred to as the lottery. This is where the head of the household draws a slip of paper from a black box that has been used for as long as the village has been around. No one is allowed to look at the slip of paper until everyone has drawn one. Whichever household draws “it” then the members of that household have to do a separate drawing where whomever gets the slip of paper containing a black dot, is then sent in the middle of the entire village. Once they are in the middle, they are then stoned to death by the people of the village. Even if this gruesome act is shrugged off as tradition by the townspeople, it is still without a doubt murder.


““It isn’t fair, it isn’t right,” Mrs. Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her. “ – The Lottery


Victoria Leal | 47 comments It would be crazy to think the people weren't murders. It is absolutely clear that they are. I did not think that this story was going to end the way it did. I read lottery and I thought the person would be winning something not dying. The fact that this is tradition amongst the town does not make this act okay what so ever. What is even more disturbing was the fact that the kids were playing around and gathering stones participating in this horrific tradition, thinking that what they are doing was completely okay. Honestly I don't understand what is the point of stoning someone to death based on random pickings. They go one with this tradition as if it will bring their crops luck in growing but frankly that isn't right. Some people of the town think think this a horrible act and other think that if they don't do it then their crops won't grow. Mr.summers just goes talking casually about making a new box in no worry. Maybe because he has no kids and a "scorn wife" so he's chances of not being picked are higher. Tessie was picked to be stoned to death and knew that this act wasn't fair. "Tessie Hutchinson was in the center of a cleared space by now, and she held her hands out desperately as the villagers moved in on her." It is without a doubt that the people in this town are murders.


message 8: by Pearl (last edited Feb 01, 2015 06:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pearl Pena | 74 comments I can say with almost certainty that the death of Tessie Hutchinson was most definitely not only considered a horrendous act but also that the people of the village were guilty of committing murder! In the beginning of the story it starts out as a normal, beautiful, sunny, summer day only for it to take a turn for the worse. Never would I have imagined how a village could actually partake in a social event that the entire village agreed and engaged in. I personally don't understand how civic activities went from square dances to the murder of a member from the village and that it could actually all be part of a yearly routine. When I first heard of this story, the title of the Lottery intrigued me to automatically think that someone was going to win or gain success of out something. The lottery is actually defined as a system used to decide who will get or be given somethng by choosing names or numbers by chance or luck, not by having to be loose their life by having stones dislodged to you. It is comprehensible that everyone is entitled to their own traditions or beliefs but having to take the life of another individual just because they were chosen from a raffel is by far unacceptable. Having stones thrown at you causing you to be beaten to death after you were not a danger to society, incriminated, prosecuted, or held accountable for any unlawful offense or crime does not give anyone the authority to committ such an atrocious act. In the story it states that this is a tradition that has been kept and going on for years now, but never did it state anything about punishing someone who refused to take part in this hateful attack. Therefore, it shows that every indivual has right to play a role in this event and everyone willingly attacked Mrs. Hutchinson. Regardless if it's a tradition or not, taking the life of someone else is murder!


"Here comes your Missus, Hutchinson," and "Bill, she made it after all." The Lottery by Shirley Jackson


message 9: by Rosie (last edited Feb 01, 2015 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosie Castillo | 61 comments I do believe that the people of the village are guilty of the murder of Tessie. In this story the town has a tradition for the people to gather together and play lottery. Once everyone is together in a square, someone from each household has to draw a paper from the black box. Not like a normal lottery were you actually win a prize. If you choose the paper that has a dot on the paper, you would be stoned to death.In this story, Tessie was the unlucky one. Even though her family had two opportunities to draw.She still was the one. Tessie screamed,"It isn't fair,it isn't right,"Mrs.Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her." - the Lottery. No matter what tradition it could've been I believe Tessie was murder at a gruesome act.The saddest part was no one stood up to help her. Just simply because if the tradition will not continue the corn crops,would not grow.I believe that her life was more important than just a simple tradition.


Alicia | 56 comments In my opinion I believe that the people in the Village are guilty of murder. The story started with an inviting scene. It was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green. Who was going to think that that colorful scene was going to be darkened by a gruesome murder? The Lottery was a tradition that has been around for decades and was been stopped in other villages. The Lottery was like a social gathering of all the members of the town. They all gathered in the square, between the post office and the bank, around ten o’clock. The head of household in each family had to draw a paper slip from the “black box” like if it was a raffle. The head of household who would get a dotted slip had to call all the family members and they also had to draw a paper slip from the “black box”. And the family member who got a dotted slip was stone to death. Even the kids participated in the lottery. This tradition was disappearing in other towns but not in this town because it was believed that doing this they were going to have a good agricultural year and have enough to eat. If they stopped they were not going to be blessed with corn.
“Listening to the young folks, nothing good enough for them…. Used to be a saying about ‘Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.’ First thing you know, we’d all be eating stewed chickweed and acorns. There’s always been a lottery.”


Amber Gonzalez (amberglz) | 29 comments The Lottery by Shirley Jackson portrays a rural community that upholds a lottery every year. When we think of a lottery we imagine luck and riches but in this short story it is the complete opposite. Even though I am completely against these acts, in my opinion I believe the townspeople are not guilty because they had a sense of superstition and tradition. Old Man Warner states..."Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.” This quote helps us understand that the people in the village saw the lottery as a ritual, that the sacrifices made their crops good. You can also say that peer pressure was a bit involved, they have done this for generations and accepted it because it’s tradition. When it comes to small towns tradition is unbreakable.


message 12: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Gonzalez | 71 comments I do not believe the village people in the Shirley Jackson’s short story “The Lottery” are guilty of murder. There are many customs or traditions which to an outsider might seem as crude and barbaric. Although to the residents of the unnamed village in Shirley Jackson’s short story might not remember the origins of the lottery, it is tradition they see as normal and joyous. In fact, Mrs. Hutchinson, who would end up being stoned to death, stated “then I remembered it was the twenty-seventh and I came a-running”. To Mrs. Hutchinson it was a joyous occasion and dropped what she was doing to join in the celebration. Also, under the observation of the adults, the children began piling the rock for the “lottery” winner. Not a single adult stopped the children thinking it is wrong to celebrate the impending death of a village person. In fact, other nearby villages also have a similar celebration, but since they are bigger they take two days to complete the "lottery". So obviously all the village people attend the "lottery" at their own free will knowing fully well that they might be the unlucky winner.


message 13: by Rogerio (new)

Rogerio Ruiz | 39 comments “The Lottery”, by Shirley Jackson.
Why would a civilized and peaceful town, would ever experience such horrifying acts of violence? The setting is a place where good ordinary people can turn evil and commit those crimes. Jackson's fiction is known for exploring incongruities in everyday life, and perhaps her most exemplary work in this respect, examines humanity's capacity for evil within a contemporary, familiar, American setting. “The Lottery.” Addresses a variety of themes, including the dark side of human nature, the danger of ritualized behavior, and the potential for cruelty when the individual submits to the masses will. Shirley Jackson also addresses cruelty by the citizen’s refusal to stand up and oppose “The Lottery.” Violence and cruelty is a major theme in “The Lottery.” Violence and cruelty are the main theme because of its violence and cruelty around the world. How can a peaceful town be crazy enough to follow ancient customs from the Stone Age? When does death become a good thing for the village? The villagers forgot the rest of the customs where they needed to became one for the better of the village. The villagers could have oppose the lottery or try to stop the killings instead of joining and throwing stones at the sentenced people. Why would anybody want to participate in something so horrifying full of violence and cruelty? How is it that nobody feels bad after killing someone that they loved? This village is definitely a cult, the villagers started to sing a “tuneless chant” and a “ritual salute” when they were sacrificing innocent people to honor their god.


message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Teran | 54 comments Shanda wrote: "In the story "The Lottery" the villagers are guilty of murder. At the beginning the whole village starts to gather first the children, then the men and then the women take their place alongside the..."

The Holocaust example that you included is a perfect comparison as to cruel, and inhumane as to "The Lottery".


message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Teran | 54 comments Victoria wrote: "It would be crazy to think the people weren't murders. It is absolutely clear that they are. I did not think that this story was going to end the way it did. I read lottery and I thought the person..."

I agree with you, at this stage in life people already know right from wrong. I would never participate in such event. Horrific.


message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Teran | 54 comments To start off, I am just completely in shock on how this story turned out to be. Never did I imagine of such horrible tradition, I expected a prize as in money for who ever was lucky enough to win it. But in this case, death is what they won. It starts off as a happy summer day, kids playing around picking up rocks, families getting ready to attend the lottery. And then, as I kept on reading, I started getting a sense of nervousness and panic, I mean it is normal to be nervous for having a chance to win money, but no need for panic. That is when I start to understand, then when villagers begin to yell out how unfair it is and what not. I acknowledge that this lottery is turning out for the worst. And for such acts, I do believe that the villagers ARE guilty of murder! Guilty of participating in such event, even if its mandatory there is always a right to stand up and create a way to end this event. Guilty of allowing their children to be present in killing others. Guilty of throwing rocks at innocent villagers who weren't lucky enough to not get the black dot in the paper they picked. These villagers are completely guilty!


message 17: by Maritza (new)

Maritza Cruz | 23 comments In the story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson in my opinion, the villagers are the murders. When we think about the lottery we related with prizes and even with money, not killing someone. The author, Shirley Jackson, never mention what the lottery was really about. At the beginning of the story the author, described the day as a beautiful day. June 27, the villagers gather together for the town traditional lottery. Children were running collecting rocks, not knowing that those rocks represented the weapon. During the story the villagers grow suspension and nervous. After Mr. Summer finishes calling names, Tessie screams that it was unfair. Tessie got the paper with the black dot the “lucky paper”. The ending was really shocking I didn’t expect that the traditional lottery was about killing someone.


Marielena Franco | 43 comments In the story “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, I do believe the people in the village are guilty of murder because killing someone with stones in a lottery just because of a tradition is murder. Everyone in the village knew what the situation was and believing in myths just for crops to grow is mythological, everyone knew the consequences of their actions and taking someone’s life is not correct in anyway. In the story everyone is gathered in the middle of the post office and the bank for a tradition to take place so their crops could grow, but no one realizes that crops grow with plenty of care and summer days not with a sacrifice. In other villages the lottery was an outgrown tradition because of the fact that the other villages realized how irresponsible and cruel this situation was for everyone even for the children in every village. How can people with such hearts do something so cruel to one another? In the story “ the villagers had forgotten the ritual and lost the original black box, they still remembered to use stones. The pile of stones the boys had made earlier was ready”. Even the children were ready to kill someone to death with stones and everyone seemed to enjoy the fact that someone was being sacrifice for there own benefit.
My favorite quote from the story the “The Lottery” was “ The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green”.


Nancy | 22 comments In the short story, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I think that the people in the village are guilty of murder. The story doesn't directly says that they are, but by looking at the scenario and how the story ends, we can all make our own conclusions. Before reading the story I imagined that there was going to be a winning lottery ticket and that someone was going to be the lucky one to have it, there was a winner but in a wrong way. This story was completely different than what I've imagined. I never imagined that the people would gather around to see who was going to be the next victim to be thrown rocks at till death. They mention in the story that this gathering was a tradition in different villages and many of them had stop doing it, but not this village. This tradition was for all of the people in the village, from the smallest child to the head of the house. When they announced the winner, the head of the house, all of their family would participate and at the end one of them would have to sacrifice. Mrs. Hutchinson would have never imagined that this year would be her family that would be the lucky winner of the lottery, she says“Wouldn't have me leave m’dishes in the sink, now, would you, Joe?” after arriving late to the gathering. I think that was a bad idea because it says that the village was growing, but they were getting rid of one villager every year. Some people would think of it as fun because they were not the ones that would have to sacrifice. That is why I think the people in the village were guilty of murder.


message 20: by Hilda (last edited Feb 02, 2015 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hilda Aguilar | 54 comments In the story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I believe the people in the village were guilty of murder. In the beginning of the story it seems like a beautiful day. It is described as "clear and sunny...flowers blossoming...and the grass was richly green." Little did I know that for the people of the village it was a day of fear. The lottery in our society is known to have a winner and win an amount of money, but in this story it was on another level. If someone were to get the a black dot on the paper they picked from the black box they were going to get stoned to death. It is unfair and cruel to treat an innocent person that way. In the story Tessie was the unlucky person that got the paper with the black dot. She repeated it was unfair and was in great fear as they were about to stone her. "...she held her hands out desperately." She said, " It isnt fair." The people of the village stoned innocent people to death for a tradition that didn't make sense. They had a saying to it ,"Lottery in June , corn be heavy soon." They were guilty of murder even though the some village people might not have seen it that way. As Mrs.Adam and Old man Warner had a conversation it shows that Old man Warner is for the lottery. "Some places have quit lotteries,said Mrs.Adams. "Nothing but trouble in that...Pack of young fools",said Old man Warner.


message 21: by Angel (last edited Feb 02, 2015 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angel Iduarte | 29 comments When you start reading the story you automatically think it's a good type on lottery. It seems that throughout the story the author is building up a twist. She uses the anxiety someone would feel in normal lottery, and you get the sense of excitement/fear. The villagers killed Mrs Hutchinson. The boys in the beginning of the story were gathering rocks that would be good for throwing. Her mood changes drastically after she finds out that some one who in her family would get the final marked paper. After she draws the marked paper, she is moved to a cleared area. The stone that strikes her on the side of the head is the final indicator that she would be stoned to death.


"Mrs Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her."


Yvonne Torres | 72 comments Rosie wrote: "I do believe that the people of the village are guilty of the murder of Tessie. In this story the town has a tradition for the people to gather together and play lottery. Once everyone is together ..."
I agree with Rosie what this town did to Mrs. Hutchinson was a heinous act. Tradition or not stoning a person to death is still murder.


Alicia | 56 comments Suzette wrote: "I do believe that the village people are definetely guilty of murder. i have to say when i was reading the story it certainly took a turn for the worse. In my opinion it seemed as if they are stoni..."

I agree with you Suzette, because it is not right to murder someone for a ritual believing this will help the growth of their crops. it gave me chills just imagining in stoning my own mother, daughter or any other person.


Monique Freitag | 53 comments Kirsten wrote: "In "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I do not think the people in the village are guilty of murder. It is tradition for people of the village to gather around the square and for the head of the hous..."

I do not agree with you, although it was tradition and they had a mindset of what the Lottery was good for, in the end it’s still ending the life of an individual. Ending someone’s life in this situation equals murder.


Kirsten Nelson | 62 comments Suzette wrote: "I do believe that the village people are definetely guilty of murder. i have to say when i was reading the story it certainly took a turn for the worse. In my opinion it seemed as if they are stoni..."

I have to disagree with you suzette. There wasn't any fear in the story until the end when Mrs. Hutchinson was going to get stoned. Everyone in the town gathered around and talked to each with no concern. These people didn't know that they were doing wrong; therefore, I have to disagree with you.


Monique Freitag | 53 comments Maritza wrote: "In the story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson in my opinion, the villagers are the murders. When we think about the lottery we related with prizes and even with money, not killing someone. The auth..."

I agree with you about the villagers being murderers, and how the story led the reader into a false sense of security with the way it began. The lottery seemed like a normal innocent occurrence which was obviously not the case since it ended up with someone being stoned to death by the townspeople.


Shanda Brunson | 64 comments Alicia wrote: "In my opinion I believe that the people in the Village are guilty of murder. The story started with an inviting scene. It was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full summer day; the flower..."

I agree with you and your right about the inviting scene in the beginning just to turn dark in the end.


Shanda Brunson | 64 comments Angel wrote: "When you start reading the story you automatically think it's a good type on lottery. It seems that throughout the story the author is building up a twist. She uses the anxiety someone would feel i..."

You did not answer the question whether it was murder or not? I do agree with the anxiety and the buildup but you need to answer whether it was murder or not


message 29: by Jose (new)

Jose G. | 13 comments In the story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I believe everybody in the village is guilty of murder. The villagers want to wash their hands by saying that its tradition but nobody wants to stand up for their own beliefs. They decide to be followers and if they don't receive the black dot they decide to throw stones at the unlucky individual. All the villagers that threw a stone should be considered a murderer.


message 30: by Jose (new)

Jose G. | 13 comments Rosie wrote: "I do believe that the people of the village are guilty of the murder of Tessie. In this story the town has a tradition for the people to gather together and play lottery. Once everyone is together ..."
I agree with you 100 %. Everybody in the village made their own choice of becoming a murderer when they threw a stone at Tessie. It is a shame that nobody in the village had any kind of remorse of murdering a young child.


message 31: by Jose (new)

Jose G. | 13 comments Kimberly wrote: "To start off, I am just completely in shock on how this story turned out to be. Never did I imagine of such horrible tradition, I expected a prize as in money for who ever was lucky enough to win i..."

I was surprised with the story. I also thought of someone winning the lottery. How ironic that Shirley Jackson would consider naming her story for someone winning death. I would not want to win this lottery for sure.


message 32: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Gonzalez | 71 comments Shanda wrote: "In the story "The Lottery" the villagers are guilty of murder. At the beginning the whole village starts to gather first the children, then the men and then the women take their place alongside the..."

I agree that many acts are carried out as a matter of tradition, but I disagree that it was a murder. Mrs. Hutchington was a willing participant in the lottery. She was not forced to participate. She was aware of the potential consequences by participating.


message 33: by Luis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luis Gonzalez | 71 comments Jose wrote: "In the story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I believe everybody in the village is guilty of murder. The villagers want to wash their hands by saying that its tradition but nobody wants to stand u..."

I disagree that the killing was murder, All those involved were willing participants. I use this as an example. If two boxers enter the ring at their own will, and one dies is the other boxer a murderer? The answer is no.


Pearl Pena | 74 comments Marielena wrote: "In the story “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, I do believe the people in the village are guilty of murder because killing someone with stones in a lottery just because of a tradition is murder. Ev..."

Marielena, I couldn't agree with you anymore! Believing that in order for crops to grow there had to be a death is absolutely nothing more than a myth. The main thing that crops do need is plenty of care and attention, not a sacrifice. Everyone had a choice and when they decided to take the life of another individual away when they participated in the beating of Mrs. Hutchinson, they engaged in a murder.


Pearl Pena | 74 comments Luis wrote: "I do not believe the village people in the Shirley Jackson’s short story “The Lottery” are guilty of murder. There are many customs or traditions which to an outsider might seem as crude and barba..."

Luis, unfortunately I have to disagree with you. Although the village people saw the tradition as normal and joyous, taking the life of another indivual is nothing more than murder. Tradition or not murder is still murder!


message 36: by Leslie (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leslie (lesliemadai) | 50 comments After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I strongly believe that the people in the village are guilty of murder. I believe they are murders because tradition or not tradition, sacrificing a person via stoning is cruel. The definition for murder would be "to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously" which in this case would be the sacrificing a family member to have good crops in the summer. That sounds ridiculous and immensely inhuman but once again, humans are capable of evil. Even though we can say this short story can be symbolic of peer pressure, I think that people are aware of what they are doing. The fact that they "think" sacrificing a person to have better crops during the summer, to me, it is an excuse. People know right from wrong, in my personal opinion. If Mr. Summers "had time and energy to devote to civic activities" then this is something that is planned. It is definitely not something they did out of anger, because anger makes people do so many crazy things, but is the feeling the people in the village get before even committing the murder. So I believe if they have the time to think and plan then they deserve to be punish for murder.


Leslie (lesliemadai) | 50 comments Suzette wrote: "I do believe that the village people are definetely guilty of murder. i have to say when i was reading the story it certainly took a turn for the worse. In my opinion it seemed as if they are stoni..."

Suzette I'm with you on this one, no person should be sacrifice for some crops. Innocent lives are being killed for a "tradition." If they want to kill then they should be aware of the consequences.


Leslie (lesliemadai) | 50 comments Jose wrote: "In the story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I believe everybody in the village is guilty of murder. The villagers want to wash their hands by saying that its tradition but nobody wants to stand u..."

They do want to wash their hands because they don't want to be the ones killed, but like you say if they would stand up for what they believe nothing with murder would be happening.


Angel Iduarte | 29 comments Victoria wrote: "It would be crazy to think the people weren't murders. It is absolutely clear that they are. I did not think that this story was going to end the way it did. I read lottery and I thought the person..."

Like you said, I don't think they should be basing any tradition on stoning people to death. When I started reading the story I also thought it was going to be a lucky lottery rather then an unlucky one. I think that's why this short story has been used in lit so much, because of the way it maneuvers its way into a more sinister plot.


Angel Iduarte | 29 comments Monique wrote: "I absolutely think the people of the village are guilty of murder. The story starts out as if it’s a typical summer day with children playing and what not. The adults making small talk with each ot..."

I liked the way you analyzed the stone gathering by the kids. I thought the same thing, they were gathering stones described perfect for throwing. Murder was the case in this story, but the reasons are unknown.


Angel Iduarte | 29 comments Shanda wrote: "Angel wrote: "When you start reading the story you automatically think it's a good type on lottery. It seems that throughout the story the author is building up a twist. She uses the anxiety someon..."

Yes I did...


Yvonne Torres | 72 comments Pearl wrote: "I can say with almost certainty that the death of Tessie Hutchinson was most definitely not only considered a horrendous act but also that the people of the village were guilty of committing murder..."

I agree with Pearl although this has been a tradition of the village for many years this act is still murder. This is a gruesome act that involves the murder of innocent villagers for the sake of a better crop season.


Nancy | 22 comments Alicia wrote: "In my opinion I believe that the people in the Village are guilty of murder. The story started with an inviting scene. It was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full summer day; the flower..."

I agree with Alicia because I also never imagined that the story would have that kind of turning point.


Nancy | 22 comments Kimberly wrote: "To start off, I am just completely in shock on how this story turned out to be. Never did I imagine of such horrible tradition, I expected a prize as in money for who ever was lucky enough to win i..."

Kimberly has a good point because there is always a way to end the tradition, but the people in the village were afraid to speak up.


Hilda Aguilar | 54 comments Monique wrote: "I absolutely think the people of the village are guilty of murder. The story starts out as if it’s a typical summer day with children playing and what not. The adults making small talk with each ot..."

I agree with you Monique. The people of the village are guilty of murder, they killed an innocent person for the sake of a tradition. None of the village people tried to stop it. Like you said without a doubt they are guilty of murder.


message 46: by Suzette (last edited Feb 04, 2015 06:53AM) (new)

Suzette Sanchez (slelysanchez) | 53 comments Amber wrote: "The Lottery by Shirley Jackson portrays a rural community that upholds a lottery every year. When we think of a lottery we imagine luck and riches but in this short story it is the complete opposit..."

i couldnt agree with you more, i also think that there was alot of fear in putting an end, it was all a myth that they lived by.


message 47: by Suzette (new)

Suzette Sanchez (slelysanchez) | 53 comments Leslie wrote: "After reading "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson I strongly believe that the people in the village are guilty of murder. I believe they are murders because tradition or not tradition, sacrificing a p..."

yes, stoning is very inhumane to do without there being a severe consequence, it made me wonder if in this village they would stone someone who "won" the lottery what would happen to those in the village that would commit a crime?


Rosie Castillo | 61 comments Luis wrote: "I do not believe the village people in the Shirley Jackson’s short story “The Lottery” are guilty of murder. There are many customs or traditions which to an outsider might seem as crude and barba..."
I disagree with luis, because yes theybare guilty of tessie murder. No matter what the situation is or tradition no one deserves to be stoned in that brutal matter.


message 49: by Rogerio (new)

Rogerio Ruiz | 39 comments Nancy wrote: "In the short story, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I think that the people in the village are guilty of murder. The story doesn't directly says that they are, but by looking at the scenario and ..."

I strongly agree that the whole town is guilty of murder. I'm sure that even when the stoned someone to death, they still had a bad cropping season.


Amber Gonzalez (amberglz) | 29 comments Nancy wrote: "In the short story, "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, I think that the people in the village are guilty of murder. The story doesn't directly says that they are, but by looking at the scenario and ..."

Nancy I can see why you pointed them out for murder. They seem like nice town people throughout the whole story but something totally unexpected happens at the end.


« previous 1
back to top