Everything Other World discussion

Conversations About Other Worlds > New Members Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
Welcome to our new members!

If I didn't have the opportunity to welcome you personally, welcome! We are happy to have you in our reading group.

You have joined just in time. We only have a few days to nominate books for reading.

I have been making a list of books our members would like to read or have already read and would like to recommend to our other readers. If you haven't already done so, please feel free to weigh in.

First, I would like to apologize for two things. One is for my pitifully empty bookshelf! It's an embarrassment I intend to remedy soon. And the second, our informal style for polling for our group. This is another things I hope to remedy for our poll for March. Please be patient with me. I have been a member for a while on Goodreads, but I'm still a little shaky on navigating around this site. I will bring myself up to speed really soon. In the meantime, I appreciate your patience :).

We also try and have weekly/bimonthly discussions on the paranormal, sci-fi, etc. So far, we had a very interesting discussion on dopplegangers, which morphed into a discussion about ghosts and spirits and paranormal experiences. I just love a ghost story! Maybe it's because I fell in love with Scooby Doo when I was a little girl :).

So, thanks in advance for your patience. So far, we have Kurt's book on the table for nominations. If you have an itch for reading something in the paranormal, sci fi, and everything else genres, please let us know! We will definitely get to it this year.

Kirsten

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Hi Nick,

I am honored that we are your first group. I hope that we are going to be a fun place for you to explore everything we love, sci-fi and the metaphysical.

My advice is to just fool around a bit with the different functions. I am not an expert myself, and I am still learning too.

If you would like to participate in group discussions, just click on your groups in your profile. Click on our group. On the right hand side, you should see a prompt for discussions. If there is a discussion going on for a book or a conversation about a topic, click on the one that interests you. For each book we read, we will have a discussion topic on it for you.

We will be posting our reads soon on the bookshelf. So far, in February, we read Kurt Spring's book. I highly recommend it. You don't find too much with military sci-fi, so it's very interesting :). Also, I'm sure Kurt will be happy to answer any questions you might have, even though the month of March has passed.

In March, we had a lot of weather related issues in my area, so we didn't have a book to read. This month, we are reading Wool.

It takes a bit of time, but soon you'll feel a bit more comfortable in the Goodreads environment.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and we look forward to hearing more from our newest member :)

Kirsten (moderator)

message 3: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
Hi Nick,

I would like to echo Kirsten's welcome.

We talk about lots of things in this group in addition to science fiction and other things.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kurt

message 4: by Kurt (new)

I just want to ask everyone to wish Kirsten (moderator) a Happy Birthday today. :-)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy birthday!

I just joined the group a few minutes ago.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Hi Kurt and R.

Thanks so much! And, we are happy to have you, R. Feel free to join in on our reading of Wool this month, and Kurt's book, the Price of Vengeance, from last month, and join in the discussions, as well as our conversations on all the wonderment the universe has to offer :).

Kirsten

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe Schobert | 3 comments Hello, I just joined the group!

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Joe wrote: "Hello, I just joined the group!"

Hi Joe! Welcome :). Happy to have you.

We are voting on June's book now, so you still have time to get your vote in for the book you like.

Kurt is leading the discussion for May's book, Search for the Star Stones, a classic by Andre Norton. Please feel free to contribute if you have read it, or feel free to catch up on any of the books we've read so far and we can have a really nice discussion about it.

We love to hear from you, so feel free to contribute to the ongoing discussions, or go ahead and start your own discussions if you have things you would like to discuss.

If you have any questions, Kurt and I are the moderators, so feel free to email us.

Thanks for joining. We're thrilled to have you :). We look forward to hearing from you.

Kirsten

message 9: by Joe (new)

Joe Schobert | 3 comments Thanks for the welcome!! Where do you vote for the books for June?

message 10: by Kurt (new)

Welcome aboard Joe.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve Drummonds | 16 comments Greetings friendly earth beings! Right now I am reading some very old sci fi. I went to project guntenberg and downloaded some from the early 1920. Will report on those asap.

Kirsten. I would love to read some fantasy but dont know what to choose. Can you pls throwout a couple of titles for me. Thanks

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve Drummonds | 16 comments Greetings friendly earth beings! Right now I am reading some very old sci fi. I went to project guntenberg and downloaded some from the early 1920. Will report on those asap.

Kirsten. I would love to read some fantasy but dont know what to choose. Can you pls throwout a couple of titles for me. Thanks

message 13: by Kurt (new)

Hi Steve,

If you like the old stuff, I like Andre Norton's Witch World novels. You might also want to look at her last book, Three Hands of Scorpio, which she published before she died in 2005.

message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve Drummonds | 16 comments thanks Kurt ill check on this
Steve

message 15: by Kurt (new)

I should also mention that Three Hands for Scorpio was the inspiration for the cover of Promise of Mercy.
Three Hands for Scorpio by Andre Norton Promise of Mercy by Kurt D. Springs

See the similarity?

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hello, I just joined the group!"

Hi Joe! Welcome :). Happy to have you.

We are voting on June's book now, so you still have time to get your vote in for the book you like.

Kurt is l..."

Hi Joe!

I believe all you have to do is in the screen for our group, it will have several options on what to do on the right hand of your screen. Just click on polls, and then find this month's poll.

Let me know if this works for you, and if you are still having trouble, I'll... send you to Kurt, because he's really good at explaining computer stuff ;). lol But this should get you on your way.

Happy voting :).

Kirsten

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Steve wrote: "Greetings friendly earth beings! Right now I am reading some very old sci fi. I went to project guntenberg and downloaded some from the early 1920. Will report on those asap.

Kirsten. I woul..."

Ooooh, fantasy... (rubs chin, rolls up sleeves). Well, you have the most famous, JK Rowling's works, which actually are pretty decent even though they are aimed for a younger audience. Then you have your classics, like The Hobbit and all of the sequels for that.

This seems like a really decent place to get great fantasy books - http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fan... I was thinking of trolling through there myself to get some really good ideas.

Nice hearing from you Steve :).

message 18: by Steve (new)

Steve Drummonds | 16 comments Thanks Kirsten for the suggestions. I had to giggle about the hobbit. I read those book waaaaay before they really caught on. Great read!!

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Steve wrote: "Thanks Kirsten for the suggestions. I had to giggle about the hobbit. I read those book waaaaay before they really caught on. Great read!!"

Yes, so did I. I loved the movies as well. The world he creates is just so vivid, and it translated so very well onto the screen.

:)

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 3 comments The Hobbit was the first my mother and I read together. She did funny voices for the people. I read it to her when she was in the hospital passing away. It was my way of saying I love you and will always remember you.

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Tracy wrote: "The Hobbit was the first my mother and I read together. She did funny voices for the people. I read it to her when she was in the hospital passing away. It was my way of saying I love you and wi..."

((Tracy)). Your mom is a very special person. Thanks so much for sharing that with us!

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve Drummonds | 16 comments Kirsten. Check out this. Www.lucasbale.com.

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Hi Steve,

Wow, fancy website! Thanks for the info. I signed up for my newsletter :).

message 24: by J (new)

J | 3 comments Hello everyone and Happy Father's day :D

message 25: by Kurt (new)

Happy Father's day J. Welcome to the group.

message 26: by Steve (new)

Steve Drummonds | 16 comments Hi J

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Hi J. Happy Father's Day.

message 28: by J (new)

J | 3 comments Hi Kurt, Steve and Kirsten :) Thanks...