Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > February Celebrations! extended through March

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lesley (last edited Feb 13, 2015 05:34PM) (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Rounding up the end of holidays and official end to summer (though not the golden weather we hope)I thought we could celebrate some of those lesser known, as well as those familiar, celebrated days in February.

As always you may do as many or as few of the challenges as you wish with the usual rules applying -

♦Books must be more than 150 pages long and each book may only be used for one task.
♦Post a link to the book title and/or cover, and author for each book read.
♦Give a mini-review of each book.
♦Enjoy your reading and discussion.

Please indicate your intention to participate.

ETA: Challenge extended by popular vote. Official end date 31 March 2015

message 2: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Challenge Tasks

Do as many tasks as you wish. You may read more than one book for a task if you desire - it's all yours!

Feb 6 - Waitangi Day ♥Read a history book (non-fiction) OR read an historical fiction novel.

Feb 11 - Make a Friend Day ♥Read a book recommended by a friend.

Feb 13 - Get a Different Name Day ♥Read a book by an author who writes under more than one name.

Feb 14 - Valentine's Day ♥Read a book from the romance genre OR read a book with a pink cover.

Feb 16 - Do A Grouch A Favor Day ♥Read a book with a grumpy character (or one who pretends to be grumpy) OR a book that makes you laugh out loud.

Feb 17 - Random Acts of Kindness Day ♥Read a book with a character who is kind OR a book that was given to you, no strings attached (gifts count)

Feb 23 - International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day ♥Read a book with a dog on the cover, in the title or in the story.

message 3: by Lesley (last edited Feb 17, 2015 08:21AM) (new)

message 4: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Mar 18, 2015 07:10PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments I may not be able to do all the challenges, but will have a go! :)

1 The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant. I was so disappointed in Blood & Beauty but this book is the Dunant I love & admire. She is far better with fictional characters in a smaller setting. In spite of the unecessary prologue I'm going to give this 5* Finished 19/03/15 The Birth of Venus
2 Indiscretion by Jude Morgan.Recommended by a GR friend. When I want Austen or Heyer I should read Austen or Heyer. 2.5* Finished 13/03/15 Indiscretion
3 The Wandering Prince by Jean Plaidy. Real names Eleanor Alice Burford & then Mrs. George Percival Hibbert, wrote under several other nom de plumes. The most well known other than the Plaidy one were Victoria Holt & Philippa Castle. Not one of Plaidy's stronger efforts - too many POV characters, the book in some parts unfocussed with trite dialogue. Minette's (Charles II youngest sister) last years were fascinating though. 3* Finished 1/3/15. The Wandering Prince (Stuart Saga, #4)
4 These Old Shades, by Georgette Heyer. My favourite book as a young teen I have read this more than any other book. GH's superb writing & characterisation make you forget about all the improbabilities. 5* 3/3/15 These Old Shades
5 Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer. One of her worst books - definitely her worst detective novel. First & probably last read of this title for me. The romantic leads are both grumpy & horrible & frankly deserve each other. Barely 2* Finished 24/2/15. Why Shoot a Butler?
6 The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu YA High School tale about bullying & slut shaming. There is one kind character. Characterisation a bit flat but that helps make the book's point that this could happen to anyone. 4* Finished 25/2/15 The Truth About Alice
7 Venetia by Georgette Heyer (my battered old Pan has a dog on cover - see my review!) 5*. After A Civil Contract, probably GH's most realistic romance. Finished 2/2/15 Venetia
Hunter's Moon by Dana Stabenow my copy has Kate's dog Mutt on cover. 4* Fast paced & thrilling, but a bit violent for my tastes. Finished 8/2/15 Hunter's Moon

message 5: by Kathleen (last edited Mar 13, 2015 03:50PM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Feb 6 - Waitangi Day ♥Read a history book (non-fiction) OR read an historical fiction novel.
Nancy Wake / Peter Fitzsimons (reading this for the Book Discussion Group I just joined)

Feb 13 - Get a Different Name Day ♥Read a book by an author who writes under more than one name.
Book of War, by John Peel, who also writes under the name of John Vincent though who knows which one of the several he is.

Feb 14 - Valentine's Day ♥Read a book from the romance genre OR read a book with a pink cover.

Feb 16 - Do A Grouch A Favor Day ♥Read a book with a grumpy character (or one who pretends to be grumpy) OR a book that makes you laugh out loud.
A Very Unusual Pursuit / Catherine Jinks. The first in a fun series for kids (tweens, I guess)

Feb 17 - Random Acts of Kindness Day ♥Read a book with a character who is kind OR a book that was given to you, no strings attached (gifts count)
Round Robin There's a large cast of characters in this 2nd book of the Elm Creek Quilters series. Two of the 'bit players' were particularly noted for their kindness

Feb 23 - International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day ♥Read a book with a dog on the cover, in the title or in the story.

message 6: by Lesley (last edited Mar 25, 2015 04:59PM) (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Feb 6 - Waitangi Day ♥Read an historical fiction novel.
The Old Buzzard Had It Comingby Donis Casey Feb 9. (surprisingly good hist.fic. murder mystery)

Christine Falls by Benjamin Black pseudonym of John Banville Feb 2.

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes 23 March.

Feb 17 - Random Acts of Kindness Day ♥Read a book with a character who is kind.
Service for Two by Kate Kingsbury March 13. Cecily, the owner of the Pennyfoot Hotel and "Lady of the Manor", provides the wedding dress and party for her kitchen servant because every girl should have a lovely party and dress on her wedding day no matter who she is.

Thunder Dog The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson by Michael Hingson Feb 4

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Should have said to use your initial posts to record your completed tasks so as what you're reading doesn''t get lost among the discussions.

I'll link you to those posts so it is always easy to find them to update - just in case we get lots of conversations going! ☺

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica | 913 comments Mod
I'm keen for this :)

message 9: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Yep, I'm in.

message 10: by Sweetp-1 (last edited Jan 31, 2015 01:57AM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Me too

Feb 6 - Waitangi Day ♥Read a history book (non-fiction) OR read an historical fiction novel.

Planning to read:
6.Book club book

message 11: by Darkpool (last edited Feb 19, 2015 08:02PM) (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Feb 6 - Waitangi Day ♥Read a history book (non-fiction) OR read an historical fiction novel.

Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey
Dust by Hugh Howey is a wee bit of a fudge for this category - the series was recommended by a friend, and this is the 3rd and final book in the series.

I was a bit cross with some of the author's choices on the way, but I guess they were necessary for the greater good of the story/providing motivation for some of the action, etc. Overall I was satisfied by the conclusion to the series, and was amused by the author's note coming before the epilogue. Neat trick, Hugh!

Ice Games (Games, #3) by Jessica Clare
Ice Games by Jessica Clare, which is a pan name for Jill Myles... and I think she also writes under at least one other name.

This is the 3rd book in her "Games" series, which is basically smut a playful romance series based around reality tv shows, and one of my guilty pleasures. This is probably the one I've enjoyed least of the series so far, due to the setting/competition being less interesting than the previous two. It is also the shortest I've read in the series so far.

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer
Cress by Marissa Meyer has "Romance" as one of the genres listed on the book's main page.

Sigh. So, now that I've read the first 3 books in this series in the space of about 6 weeks, I now have to wait for the concluding volume. This series is in no way great literature, but is still a pleasant, easy read, even if plot twists are generally pretty well signposted.

message 12: by Mauzi (last edited Feb 13, 2015 02:56AM) (new)

Mauzi | 245 comments I'm keen! :D

Duration: Feb 15
Progress: 4/7

Salvation in Death (In Death #27) by J.D. Robb Salvation in Death - J.D. Robb ★★★☆☆ (02/02/15) - my review is here

Sweet Addiction (Sweet Addiction, #1) by J. Daniels Sweet Addiction - Jessica Daniels ★★★★★ (02/01/15) - my review is here

Feb 16 - Do A Grouch A Favor Day ♥Read a book with a grumpy character (or one who pretends to be grumpy)
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas ★★★★★ (07/02/15) - my review is here

Feb 23 - International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day ♥Read a book with a dog in the story.
The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury The Sin Eater's Daughter - Melinda Salisbury ★★★★☆ (13/02/15) - my review is here

message 13: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments So, right in time for this challenge a friend recommended a book for me. Awesome! Sadly there's a waiting list of 200+ at the library!!!!!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments Do I have to start reading a book on those days or can I just be reading it during? I have a suitable one for the Waitangi Day challenge but I'm ready to start today/tomorrow.

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments ***Carol*** wrote: "Do I have to start reading a book on those days or can I just be reading it during? I have a suitable one for the Waitangi Day challenge but I'm ready to start today/tomorrow."

Start any time, Carol. Just as long as it's in February.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments Cool. I have one that has been languishing on my bookshelves for quite some time!

message 17: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments ***Carol*** wrote: "Do I have to start reading a book on those days or can I just be reading it during? I have a suitable one for the Waitangi Day challenge but I'm ready to start today/tomorrow."

The dates are just those days of celebration I selected for the challenge, but do not have to be read specifically on that day. And you don't have to read a book for all of those days if you don't want to - just those you have time and books to fit.

message 18: by Erica (last edited Mar 18, 2015 08:46PM) (new)

Erica | 913 comments Mod
I'll put my reads here:

--> The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
The Poisoner's Handbook Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum

--> The Narrow Road to the Deep North
The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Mauzi wrote: ..."Feb 13 - Get a Different Name Day ♥Read a book by an author who writes under more than one name.

Salvation in Death (In Death #27) by J.D. Robb..."

My daughter and I have read ALL the 'in Death' books, and both have our names down at the library for the new one that hasn't come yet! A few recently I've found a little tiresome, but the last couple were fun again.

message 20: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Kathleen wrote: "Mauzi wrote: ..."Feb 13 - Get a Different Name Day ♥Read a book by an author who writes under more than one name.

My daughter and I have read A..."

Do you know, I don't think I've ever read any J.D. Robb books! I remember often shelving them though, so I'll have to see what I can find on my next visit to the library.

message 21: by Mauzi (new)

Mauzi | 245 comments Kathleen wrote: "Mauzi wrote: ..."Feb 13 - Get a Different Name Day ♥Read a book by an author who writes under more than one name.

My daughter ..."

For some reason I lost track of them, but I've been wanting to pick them up again, so these challenges have been good for something! Yeah, we've just been getting her backlist into work again, so I've been slowly amassing my collection.

Ella's Gran wrote: Do you know, I don't think I've ever read any J.D. Robb books!

I'd really recommend them! The majority of them are fantastic, bar a few duds, and most can be read as standalones, though a little of the backstory might be lost.

message 22: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 05, 2015 11:22PM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "... Do you know, I don't think I've ever read any J.D. Robb books! I remember often shelving them though, so I'll have to see what I can find on my next visit to the library. ..."

I read one or two of her Nora Roberts books but didn't care for them (not a genre I read). The 'in Death' ones, however, are set a little in the future (I love sci-fi) and that's fun. The key character, Eve Dallas, is a great 'wounded-hero' type, and the NY cop setting is gritty and fun with great paced repartee. Sometimes there's a bit much blood and guts, but she is a homicide detective, and I prefer books not to have explicit sex scenes, but she actually does them very well. Besides which, it's easy to skip the page or two (though I'd never recommend this series to my mother, because of the sex. Mind you, she wouldn't enjoy any of the nastier murders either.).

message 23: by Erica (last edited Feb 10, 2015 11:22PM) (new)

Erica | 913 comments Mod
Yay I've ticked off my first book for this challenge. It was The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. I found it fascinating!

I've added it to my tally in message 18 too.

message 24: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments And another book gets added to my list of want to read! This is the problem with these challenges.

message 25: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 12, 2015 11:06PM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments I had this - The Harsh Cry of the Heron/ Lian Hearn (real name Gillian Rubinstein) for:
Feb 13 - Get a Different Name Day ♥Read a book by an author who writes under more than one name
BUT I couldn't be bothered reading past 70 pages. This is the 4th in the Tales of the Otori series. I loved the first (Across the Nightingale Floor), really enjoyed the 2nd, but only liked the 3rd and wondered whether to bother with this last one. Thought I'd finish the series, but am finding it much too wordy, and have no particular interest in the characters any more. I read 70 pages, then the last chapter.
Not enough to count for this challenge, but there's no point in reading it just for that reason.....

message 26: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Erica wrote: "Yay I've ticked off my first book for this challenge. It was The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. I found it fascinating!

I've ad..."

I've re-linked your name in message 4, participant's, to message 18. ☺

message 27: by Sharlene (last edited Mar 20, 2015 06:03PM) (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 584 comments Mod
I wasn't going to participate because I didn't want to sign up to monthly challenges but I read a romance book and I have another to read this month too :)

♥Read a history book (non-fiction) OR read an historical fiction novel.

♥Read a book recommended by a friend >> Bloodlines by Richelle Mead finished 13/2 was recommended by a girl from our church youth group. Its YA and a spin off series from the Vampire Academy series from the same author.

♥Read a book by an author who writes under more than one name. >> Be with Me by J. Lynn is also known as her fuller name Jennifer L. Armentrout. Finished this 8/3. 5 stars.

♥Read a book from the romance genre >> Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover finished 8/2. It's New Adult and I loved it! Woman falls for older brother's bestie. He's not looking for commitment and she's willing to put her heart through anything just to be with him.

♥Read a book with a grumpy character (or one who pretends to be grumpy) OR a book that makes you laugh out loud. >> While It Lasts by Abbi Glines. She also has another pen name Effy Vaughn but this book as a grumpy character, Eva Brooks father. The character for Becky Lynn? I think her name is, she's pretty funny too. Country chick who gives a piece of herself to the hottest things in town. Finished 18/3. 4 stars.

♥Read a book with a character who is kind OR a book that was given to you, no strings attached (gifts count)

♥Read a book with a dog on the cover, in the title or in the story.

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan | 137 comments Erica wrote: "Yay I've ticked off my first book for this challenge. It was The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. I found it fascinating!

I've ad..."

I've had to add this to my to read list, Erica. The Poisoner's Handbook was on TV the other day, with some of the stories about forensic medicine. It really whet my appetite and then you mentioned it on Goodreads - it's a sign... Did you have a hard copy? I'm thinking of getting it on my Kindle. Some non-fiction doesn't translate that well to electronic format, and some are better in electronic format.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan | 137 comments Forgot to say, if it's OK joining in so late I'll have a go at this challenge - not sure how far I'll get. I'll add the books in as I find them.

message 30: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Just wondering, do we want to run this challenge through March as well? I know I'll not get anywhere near doing much more than one more book for it so definitely won't finish all in February. Let me know what you think.

I'll add you to participants Megan.

message 31: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments yes please. I'm always useless at challenges that are only a month long!

message 32: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "yes please. I'm always useless at challenges that are only a month long!"

Yeah, me too. And of course just as I think I can Murphy's Law prevails with 6 library requests coming in and all but one of them over 450 pages each!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Just wondering, do we want to run this challenge through March as well? I know I'll not get anywhere near doing much more than one more book for it so definitely won't finish all in February. Let m..."

I'd so love to do this over March as well!

I picked this one for the romance Came A Cavalier & it's so dated I don't think I'm going to finish. It's really slowed my reading down! :(

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments I'll add my affirmative.

message 35: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Okay, we have a majority of those participating who would like to run on into March, so the February challenge is officially extended through March.

Those also taking part in the page numbers, don't forget the bonus requirements and to claim any points for that too. I'm not doing any good there either! :(

message 36: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "yes please. I'm always useless at challenges that are only a month long!"

Yeah, me too. And of course just as I think I can Murphy's Law prevails with 6..."

Books are like buses: you wait and wait, and then six turn up at once...

message 37: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "yes please. I'm always useless at challenges that are only a month long!"

Yeah, me too. And of course just as I think I can Murphy's..."

LOL!

message 38: by Mauzi (new)

Mauzi | 245 comments Lol, that sounds about right! Yay, an extension for March will be perfect.

message 39: by P.D.R. (last edited Feb 17, 2015 01:46AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1643 comments Ah, if I don't have to do it on the day that's me in too. I've already read in February:
1 - The House of Shadows by Paul Doherty
2 - G is for Gumshoe by Sue Grafton
3 - Master of Souls - Peter Tremaine aka Peter Berrisford Ellis
4 - The Grand Sophy - Gorgette Heyer
5 - Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult
6 - The Stolen Seasons - YA- David Divine
7 -stuck for a dog one though. Any suggestions?

message 40: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments P.d.r. wrote: "Ah, if I don't have to do it on the day that's me in too. I've already read in February:
1 - The House of Shadows by Paul Doherty
2 - G is for Gumshoe by Sue Grafton
3 - Master of Souls - Peter Tre..."

Can't help you with the dog.
Are you reading all the alphabet ones by Sue Grafton? I thought I'd read some, but I haven't marked any of them. Must be thinking of the jigsaw puzzle series that I think I've still got - A is for ..., with a little booklet and clues. Quite fun.

message 41: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1643 comments Yes, all the dog ones I can think of I have read already.

I've read most of the Sue Grafton's, but this was one which had slipped through the gap. They are a good read.

message 42: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments here's a "dog" book listopia... https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...
and one for dogs on the cover.... https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I never read "the art of racing in the rain" when the rest of you guys did, so I'll probably give that one a crack (if I get to it before the end of March!)

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1471 comments Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "here's a "dog" book listopia... https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...
and one for dogs on the cover.... https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I n..."

Thanks for the link, Darkpool. I keep forgetting about the Goodreads lists.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments I had a quick skim of the first list & didn't see Quake Dogs there. Very much enjoyed when I read last year.

message 45: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1643 comments Bless you, darkpool. I am not good on boards with all their lists an dthingies. I forget about them being there!

I'll hunt up a dog book.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments I'm going to read to the end of Part 1 on Came a Cavalier & will then set aside for a bit. Will find another title for the romance part of this challenge.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments I could have used Indiscretion for the rainbow challenge! :D

message 48: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments ***Carol*** wrote: "I could have used Indiscretion for the rainbow challenge! :D"

Well, there's no reason why you can't. Books can be used across challenges, but can't be used multiple times in one challenge.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments Well I may add it, but green is the colour I have done! The book was a interloan & came with a different cover than I was expecting!

It's good to know this for the future though! :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 972 comments Finished!

« previous 1