The BFF Book Club discussion

Thone of Glass > Throne of Glass Discussion **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 48 comments Mod
So Michelle and I have resurrected this book club and we are kicking off 2015 by reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I wanted to read this book because I was lucky enough to meet Sarah at Yallfest 2014 and I was very intrigued by the synopsis, in particular the assassin competition. I was hoping for something kind of like Battle Royale/The Hunger Games but with a Robin Hood-ish slant.

LOL, that is not what I got.

Throne of Glass really felt like a first book. There were quite a few good ideas, but the writing didn't support them. Celaena in particular felt very immature and I really didn't believe she was this amazing assassin. It was all tell and no show. She was always saying "well I could kill you...if I wanted to" and that really got old fast.

However I did like the world building, especially the rebellion and Nehemia. I think there is a lot of potential so I do want to continue the series, but Throne of Glass certainly didn't live up to the hype for me.

What about you all, did you enjoy this book?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lazydayreading) | 35 comments Mod
Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) wrote: "So Michelle and I have resurrected this book club and we are kicking off 2015 by reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I wanted to read this book because I was lucky enough to meet Sarah at Yal..."

I agree with what you said. Definitely a first book. I was way too harsh in my criticism but maybe that will make book two even better.

The telling but not showing thing was super annoying. I was hoping for some major badass assassin action but it never came. She just seemed like a prissy girl to me. I felt like the need for her to be an assassin was unnecessary.

I like Nehemia too but I think I enjoyed Cahol more. I felt like there was a subtle depth to him that made me want to see more. Plus... I feel like him and Celaena will end up together (which I hope she deserves because right now her and Dorian are perfect for each other *gag*).