You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
Buddy Reads > Station Eleven

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments Lisa and I are just starting Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. Feel free to join us.

I'm really excited about this one - lots of great reviews, nominated for Goodreads Choice last year and it has been blurbed by Erin Morgenstern who wrote The Night Circus which I loved.

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Jan 27, 2015 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments The blurb by Erin Morgenstern got me really excited too. I loved The Night Circus so much! Jessie Burton, author of The Miniaturist (another favourite of mine), has also blurbed it which is even more reason to get excited in my book :)

Dominique  | 1078 comments I started the book last night.

message 4: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa ooh, this has been on my list for a minute. I'm a little underwater right now with life, but I'll try to join in if I am able to make progress.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments I've just finished chapter 1 (view spoiler)

Looking forward to your thoughts Dominique and Lisa. Feel free to join in Melissa as and when you can.

Dominique  | 1078 comments Sarah wrote: "I've just finished chapter 1 [spoilers removed]

Looking forward to your thoughts Dominique and Lisa. Feel free to join in Melissa as and when you can."

The girlfriend thing.. I was pissed, you don't do that.
Totally agree with you about Arthur.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Jan 27, 2015 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have started and am up to Chapter 13 (page 71). I am liking what I have read so far. I really like the writing style and I think the story is going to be really interesting.

Chapters 1-6 -(view spoiler)

Chapters 7-13- (view spoiler)

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Jan 27, 2015 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "I've just finished chapter 1 [spoilers removed]

Looking forward to your thoughts Dominique and Lisa. Feel free to join in Melissa as and when you can."

Sarah and Dominique, I feel the same way about (view spoiler)

Sarah, it didn't start the way I was expecting it too either but I agree that it's a good thing. It is always nice to be surprised.

Dominique  | 1078 comments Lisa wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I've just finished chapter 1 [spoilers removed]

Sarah and Dominique, I fel th..."

L'm sure we'll find out later on.

Julia Gallagher (juliagallagher) | 140 comments This is on my list, too. I'll join if I can get my hands on it in time!

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments I best get reading - you storming through Lisa! That is a good sign!

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments I've read up to the end of chapter 6, which is part 1. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments Well I had two clients not turn up today which meant I had 2 1/2 hours in which I could read my book to pass the time.

I'm in chapter 26 now.

Part 2 - Midsummer Night's Dream (view spoiler)

Part 3 - I Prefer You With A Crown (view spoiler)

Part 4 - The Starship (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I didn't have much time to read today so I only got as far as Chapter 20 (page 127).

Part 3- I Prefer You With A Crown - (view spoiler)

Chapter 19- (view spoiler)

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments Part 3 (view spoiler)

Oh yes - ch 19 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments Just finished part 6. I can't remember which bits happened in which parts now so best not read this spoiler until you've finished part 6(view spoiler)

I can't seem to get enough of this book. I think the author has done a fantastic job with the character development - they are real people with good and bad in them - they are not faultless.

message 17: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I really really enjoyed Station Eleven - not loved, but close. PA books are pretty close to my heart, and although I heard lots of great things, I was a little wary in the first few chapters. But it really does suck you in.

Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts!

Dominique  | 1078 comments She wrote it in such a way that you think this might happen.

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments That's good to hear Kat.

I agree Dominique - it does feel very realistic and I think that makes things scarier than any horror book you might read.

message 20: by Lisa (last edited Jan 29, 2015 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have just finished Part 6 too.

(view spoiler)

I am really enjoying this book too. The characterisation and world building is excellent. I am not normally a fan of sci-fi or dystopian but this is going to be a rare exception I think. I can certainly understand the hype surrounding it that's for sure.

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Dominique wrote: "She wrote it in such a way that you think this might happen."

I completely agree.

message 22: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments part 6(view spoiler)

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm in part 7 - just finished chapter 44 (view spoiler)

message 24: by Lisa (last edited Jan 30, 2015 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have finished.

Part 7 - (view spoiler)

Part 8 - (view spoiler)

Part 9 - (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed this book. It was very thought provoking as it really does make you think about how you would cope if something like that was to happen for real. It wasn't a 5 star book for me but it was a solid 4 star read. I am glad I listened to the hype and picked it up because I would normally avoid books of this genre.

Julia Gallagher (juliagallagher) | 140 comments I was just able to pick this up from the library today! I'm on chapter 7 and am already feeling very engrossed. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it up today and tomorrow. Tomorrow is supposed to be a snow day, so it'll be perfect.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments I finished this yesterday or friday - I can't remember which. I like how things were wrapped up as a whole. However, (view spoiler)

message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah, (view spoiler)

Julia Gallagher (juliagallagher) | 140 comments I picked this up from the library yesterday and couldn't put it down! I finished it this morning. I thought it was a great book and I really enjoyed the story.

(view spoiler)

Anyway, I loved this book. I'm pretty picky about adding books to my favorites shelf, and I've added two of them to it in the past few days!

message 29: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Julia, (view spoiler)

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18188 comments I agree Julia (view spoiler)