David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Stefanie Gaither
This topic is about Stefanie Gaither
Author Q&A > Stefanie Gaither Q&A (Author of Falls the Shadow) Feb 2-5th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Feb 26, 2015 10:19AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
From February 2-5th, bestselling author Stefanie Gaither (author of Falls the Shadow) will be coming to our group to answer questions about her book, her life as an author, and about anything else you all can come up with!! So get ready for the fun and start thinking of some questions to ask her!

Stefanie has very generously donated some great prizes! 2 winners will each receive a signed copy of her book and some extra swag! And this giveaway is open internationally! All you have to do to be entered to win is to ask Stefanie a question!

Reminder: please try to put your questions in bold so Stefanie can find them easily! And if your question is a spoiler, please use spoiler tags!

And if you haven't checked out her book yet, I encourage you to try it! Its a great sci-fi read!

Falls the Shadow by Stefanie Gaither

Questions:

1. Natalie--How did you decide on your characters' names?

2. Natalie--Do you work in a variety of places, or do you have to work at home?

3. Storm--How did you become inspired to write about cloning?

4. Storm--I always pictured Violet and Cate as twins and just referred to Violet as the older one because she was born a few minutes before Cate. Are they twins or are they a couple of years apart?

5. Storm--What made you decide to become a writer?

6. Storm--How would you react if you wound up having to survive and live in the world of Falls the Shadow?

7. Watfa--What's your favourite book, genre and author?

8. Yamile--How old were you when you started writing?

9. Yamile-- Were your first stories in the fantasy genre?

10. Yamile--What was your favorite book as a kid?

11. Yamile--With "Falls the Shadow", did you choose to write a YA novel, or the characters that popped in your mind were in that age-range?

12. Cari--What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

13. Cari--Did you have any say in the cover? (absolutely love it, btw!)

14. Cari--How'd you decide on the title?

15. Tatis--How was your experience, as the author, of writing such an amazing book?

16. Andrea--What gave you the idea of writing about cloning? Was it a little bit hard for you to write about it or was it the opposite?

17. KittyKat--How did you come up with the idea behind 'Falls the Shadow'?

18. Opal--What are your biggest tips for fantasy/sci-fi writers?

19. Oda--Do you outline youre stories or do you just start writing and the stor kinda Writes itself that way. Are you dusiplined and sit for hours daily writing or do you have some very productive days and some when you dont get anything written?

20. Oda--What do you find hardest to write? the characters(I mean belivable) the setting, dialouge or writing so theres few slow parts?

21. Oda--Fave choclate type(white,dark,milk)

22. Oda--Fave hot drink(hot choclate,tea,cofee)

23. Oda--Fave Classic character(nancy drew, Pollyanna, pippi longstocking)

24. Oda--fave book quot(not youre own).

25. Oda--Do you have a bucket list?

26. Raquel--Are there plans to translate Falls the Shadow to other languages?

27. Raquel--What is your writing routine? Do you have a "I have to write at least these many words a day" kind of goal?

28. Raquel--What is your favorite genre to read? Which writers inspire you?

29. Jess--How do you decide on what kind of story to write about?

30. Phaedra--Do you like cooking?

31. Phaedra--I hope I can read this book soon! It looks awesome! Can you please release this book in Belgium (Dutch)?

32. Storm-- If you had to pick five songs to be the "soundtrack" of your book, what would it be?

33. Storm-- Do you have plans for more books? (If this one is one you don't wanna answer, I totally understand)

34. Storm--If you had the chance to see your future what would you hope it would be?

35. Storm--Favorite writing spot?

36. Storm-- And lastly... What is your favorite reading position?

37. Oda--where in the world do you want to travell?(if you want to travell at all) have you been any Places?

38. Oda--What comes first for you?(when starting a New Project) an image? characters?plot idea?

39. Yamile--Is there any genre of books you don't like? If so, which is it?

40. Yamile--Do you think there's any type of character of, again, book genre you'd have difficulty writing?

41. Yamile--What do you like doing when you're not reading, writing or cooking ;)

42. Yamile--Do you consider yourself and introvert or an extrovert?

43. Oda--So, I know most People say they dont regret anything, because everything peole g through make People who theyar today. Still, I dont really belive every sinle thing\detail is imporant in the big Picture. So do you have smal regrets from youre life? Things you wish dident happen, or went differently?

44. Oda--Have you lived many places or mostly lived in one Place?(over Your life I mean).

45. Oda--Are you a Disney fan today or do you just watch Disney ow and then With nostalgia?(I loove Disney even though am 22, over the Disney age target).

46. Oda--Do you like tv or Movies better?

47. Oda--Standalone or series?

48. Oda--Familiar or unknown\New?

49. Jenny--I saw you mention you love to cook. Do you have a signature dish?

50. Raquel--Besides writing, do you have any other artistic talents, or like doing any other artistic projects?

51. Raquel--Do you have any favorite YA books?

52. Andrea--Before you got published Falls the shadow, was there ever a time you wanted to quit writing? Have you ever felt like maybe it was of no use?

53. Andrea--And while you are writing do you listen to the playlist you have at the same time?? or is there only in some moments you hear them??

54. Karen--What's your favorite fan moment?

message 2: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Awesome news! Thanks for sharing Jenny, really can't wait to get to know her :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Ohmygosh...!! Sooo excited! :)

message 4: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Updated with the giveaway details above!!

message 5: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

AWESOMESAUCE!!! So nice of her!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Brilliant!!! I've had this book on my TBR for a while now, this'll give me the push to read it :D

How did you decide on your characters' names?
Do you work in a variety of places, or do you have to work at home?

Thank you!!!!!

message 7: by Storm (last edited Jan 30, 2015 02:57PM) (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! OH MY GOSH! So in!

To Ms. Gaither

How did you become inspired to write about cloning?

I always pictured Violet and Cate as twins and just referred to Violet as the older one because she was born a few minutes before Cate. Are they twins or are they a couple of years apart?

What made you decide to become a writer?

How would you react if you wound up having to survive and live in the world of Falls the Shadow?

Thank you so much!

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

LOL Storm! I knew you'd be excited!

message 9: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Jenny wrote: "LOL Storm! I knew you'd be excited!"

XD And my birthday is the week this is being done too so it's like a birthday gift!

message 10: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Awesome! I brought you Stefanie Gaither for you Bday!

I brought Neal Shusterman for Karen's Bday, so doing pretty good on the birthday/author thing! LOL

message 11: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Jenny wrote: "Awesome! I brought you Stefanie Gaither for you Bday!

I brought Neal Shusterman for Karen's Bday, so doing pretty good on the birthday/author thing! LOL"

You rock Jenny!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Yes, you did, Jenny, cause you DO rock!!

message 13: by Watfa (new)

Watfa (imalittleshy) | 5 comments What's your favourite book, genre and author?

message 14: by Yamilé Nadra (new)

Yamilé Nadra | 75 comments @Storm, @Jenny: you're rad :)

@Storm, I also thought about the characters as twins! Maybe because of the cover? (burrowing brow in thought)

To Ms. Gaither,
Thanks a lot for doing this Q and A with us and for the giveaway.
My questions are:
How old were you when you started writing? Were your first stories in the fantasy genre?
What was your favorite book as a kid?
With "Falls the Shadow", did you choose to write a YA novel, or the characters that popped in your mind were in that age-range?
Btw, you look beautiful in your author photo at http://stefaniegaither.com/news/ ;)

message 15: by Caru (new)

Caru Ooh this book sounds amazing, just added it to my TBR :)

What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

Did you have any say in the cover? (absolutely love it, btw!)

How'd you decide on the title?

message 16: by Tatis (new)

Tatis Fdz cueto ps | 8 comments How was your experience, as the author, of writing such an amazing book?

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (alexandra14) | 218 comments What gave you the idea of writing about cloning? Was it a little bit hard for you to write about it or was it the opposite?

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 35 comments Do you ever experience writers block and if so, what do you do to offset that?

message 19: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Howard | 10 comments How did you come up with the idea behind 'Falls the Shadow'?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you outline youre stories or do you just start writing and the stor kinda Writes itself that way. Are you dusiplined and sit for hours daily writing or do you have some very productive days and some when you dont get anything written?

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:28AM) (new)

What do you find hardest to write? the characters(I mean belivable) the setting, dialouge or writing so theres few slow parts?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Random q`s.
Fave choclate type(white,dark,milk).
Fave hot drink(hot choclate,tea,cofee)
Fave Classic character(nancy drew, Pollyanna, pippi longstocking)
fave book quot(not youre own).
Do you have a bucket list?

message 23: by Raquel (new)

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 35 comments Thanks so much or this Q&A @Jenny, because it put Falls the Shadow in my radar!
Thank you Ms. Gaiter for being here! My questions are:
Are there plans to translate Falls the Shadow to other languages?
What is your writing routine? Do you have a "I have to write at least these many words a day" kind of goal?
What is your favorite genre to read? Which writers inspire you?

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Rienzi (goodreadscomjess_rienzi) | 3 comments How do you decide on what kind of story to write about? Sci-Fi can be a cool subject with many different areas to get into. It's awesome!

message 25: by Phaedra (new)

Phaedra (P-Feetje) | 26 comments Do you like cooking?

I hope I can read this book soon! It looks awesome! Can you please release this book in Belgium (Dutch)?

message 26: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments *waves* Hi everybody! Thanks for all the awesome questions so far :) Hopefully I can get all of these answered before the baby wakes up ;)

So...*dives in*

@Natalie:

1. I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to names! I've written entire books where characters are just referred to as NAME#1, NAME#2, etc... before going back and filling things in. When I do have to actually decide, one thing I like to do is ask friends and readers (and some times complete strangers in coffeeshops) what they think of when they hear a certain name, to see if it's anywhere close to the vibe I'm going for with a particular character. And other times, it's just a matter of plopping several different names into different scenes and seeing whether or not they feel "right" as I'm writing said scenes.

2. I definitely work in a variety of places! I have a desk and sort of office space at home, but it gets monotonous writing at it all the time. I frequent coffeeshops, libraries, park benches, and occasionally the roof (which isn't as weird as it sounds; I live in an old building that's connected to another building whose flat roof I can access just by crawling out my second story window).

message 27: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Hi Stefanie! *waves*

So thrilled you are here! Don't feel like you have to answer all those questions today, you have 4 days :)

And LOL on your names answer! I think its hilarious how much names can change through editing, too. I read somewhere that Margaret Mitchell had named her MC in Gone With the Wind "Polly." That was changed to "Scarlet" by her editor. Can you imagine if they'd left Polly? Doesn't fit the character at all LOL

message 28: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Storm: Happy birthday week! ^_^ And thanks for your questions...

3. I didn't actually set out to write a book about cloning; just one that dealt with themes of death and loss in an interesting way. And, having lost several close family members at a young age myself, I related to that desire to have something to "replace" those people with. Even though obviously that isn't really possible now--still I wondered, would it ever be possible in the future? Cloning was just one way I thought science might try to make this possible. And once that thought occurred to me, I just sort of ran with it.

4. They're a few years apart! Violet is the older sister, and was 13 when she "died", while Cate was 11. One of the downsides to cloning and all these replacement copies running around is that true ages would get confusing, huh? ;)

5. A strong desire to be able to work in sweatpants and sleep in on weekdays. (just kidding) ((sort of)). There are lots of reasons, really; I've always been a voracious reader, and started filling notebooks with (terrible) poetry in high school, and it just became more and more of an obsession from there. Then I got to college, went through a ton of different majors before realizing that writing was the only thing that made me happy time and time again--the only thing I could see me being satisfied and fulfilled by in the long term.

6. Great question! I honestly *still* don't know which side of the cloning debate I would end up on. I don't like confrontation, though, so I'd probably just do whatever I could to avoid getting caught up in the politics of it all. Maybe escape the city, go to one of the ghost towns scattered about and become a recluse that sits around and philosophizes about what the world has come to. I'm boring like that.

message 29: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Wafta:

7. That's always such a hard question! Genre is easiest-- I love fantasy and sci-fi, of course; I grew up devouring the classics: the Narnia books, Harry Potter, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, The Dragonriders of Pern, The Giver, The Wrinkle in Time books...

Some of my favorite, more recent books include anything by Patrick Ness, and Maggie Stiefvater's newer books (The Scorpio Races and The Raven Cycle).

Oh, and I never met a Kurt Vonnegut book I didn't like.

(Yes, I know that was way more than just one book. I always get carried away with this sort of question!)

message 30: by Stefanie! (last edited Feb 02, 2015 11:53AM) (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Yamile: Thanks for the questions!

8. The earliest story that I *remember* writing was in fourth grade. We were supposed to write a memoir about something that happened over our summer break. But I had a boring summer break, so I made up this story about how I went horseback riding and ended up getting chased by a bear and narrowly escaping death. My teacher totally called me on the lying, BUT she was really entertained by and impressed with the writing. So that was the first time I felt that satisfaction of telling a story. It was probably not until high school that I began writing regularly though (outside of school assignments).

9. Made-up memoirs aside, the first actual novel sort of things I attempted were all fantasy, and most total rip-offs of Lord of the Rings and whatever other fantasy book I was reading at the time. The first book I *completed* was a paranormal romance. There were werewolves. It was bad.

10. Copying and pasting from above, because I'm super lazy like that ;): I grew up devouring the classics: the Narnia books, Harry Potter, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, The Dragonriders of Pern, The Giver, and The Wrinkle in Time books

11. It was a semi-conscious choice. YA is the genre I read the most these days, so it tends to be what I write. And Cate, the main character, felt very similar to my teenage self from the beginning (we both lost close loved ones at the same age, for example), so that's the age she ended up being

message 31: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Thank you Stefanie! Really appreciate you coming here to answer all of our questions... And thanks for the birthday message. ^^

message 32: by Yamilé Nadra (new)

Yamilé Nadra | 75 comments Hi @Stefanie!!
I'm sorry we overwhelmed you with questions!
I must confess part of me is glad we did, though... Because your answers so rock! You're endearingly funny and witty and honest...
Major lol about your inventing the story about your Summer. I did that too once in elementary school :) No funny anecdote like that, though.
Thanks again!!!
Btw, baby boy or girl? Congratulations :)

message 33: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Yamile: No need to apologize! Happy to be here, and I live in a constantly overwhelmed state so nothing new there ;) And thank you for your kind words!

And she's a baby girl, two months old. Thanks for the congrats!

@Everyone Else: more answers coming later this evening after said baby (hopefully!) goes to sleep-- stay tuned! And feel free to ask anymore burning questions you might have.

message 34: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Awwww newborn baby girl :) There is nothing quite like a newborn :) Congrats Stefanie!

message 35: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Stefanie wrote: "@Yamile: No need to apologize! Happy to be here, and I live in a constantly overwhelmed state so nothing new there ;) And thank you for your kind words!

And she's a baby girl, two months old. Than..."

Aww congratulations!

I do have a couple of more questions as well.

1. If you had to pick five songs to be the "soundtrack" of your book, what would it be?

2. Do you have plans for more books? (If this one is one you don't wanna answer, I totally understand)

3. If you had the chance to see your future what would you hope it would be?

4. Favorite writing spot?

5. And lastly... What is your favorite reading position?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

where in the world do you want to travell?(if you want to travell at all) have you been any Places?

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 02, 2015 03:34PM) (new)

What comes first for you?(when starting a New Project) an image? characters?plot idea?

message 38: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments Jenny wrote: "Awwww newborn baby girl :) There is nothing quite like a newborn :) Congrats Stefanie!"

Thank you! She's a handful--good thing she's so terribly cute :)

message 39: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Cari: Great questions!

12. Finish what you start! I--and lots of other writers I know--wasted years starting stories only to abandon them when they ran out of ideas/inspiration/whatever. We all run out of inspiration at some point. I think one real test of a writer is whether or not they can keep going even when they don't want to, to keep plugging away even on bad days, until they get that inspiration back.

The other thing I would advise is, assuming you're serious about writing for publication, you have to learn to be a little selfish with your writing time. Don't expect people to take you seriously when you tell them you're a writer (because most won't, haha). You have to take yourself seriously. Treat it like a job (an awesome job, but one that requires discipline all the same).

13. I'm so glad you love the cover! And nope, I didn't really have any say in it. It just showed up looking all pretty in my inbox one day :)

14. It comes from a line of one of my all-time favorite poems-- "The Hollow Men" by T.S. Eliot. I wrote a paper on that poem in college, and that line the title references has stuck with me ever since; a lot of the themes that were present in "The Hollow Men" (at least as I interpreted it) are some of the same ones that I tried to explore in FALLS. I'm a recovering English major, so it's all about the themes and allusions--I can't help it! :)

message 40: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Tatis: I'm glad you think it's an amazing book! How kind :)

15. The experience was really all kind of a blur with this one! FALLS was the fourth book I completed. After the idea struck me, I wrote the first three chapters (or four, really, because there was a second opening chapter that I cut) in the span of one week. Then I put it aside and forgot about it, because I was actually still in the process of submitting the last book I'd completed to agents, and had gotten some interest/buzz for it. When that book didn't pan out, though, I became even more super determined to make FALLS *the* book that got me published. So I wrote like a madwoman to complete it, and its draft was done in about two months.

That draft is what got me my agent, and it was very close to the one that eventually sold to my editor at Simon and Schuster. There were a few more rather intense rounds of editing (like 15 pages of edit notes intense!) after Simon and Schuster picked it up, and eventually it became the shiny version you see on bookstore shelves :)

message 41: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Andrea: *waves* Thanks for your question!

16. I chose cloning specifically because I wanted to write a sci-fi that could still feel relevant to today's world; cloning is something that's happening here and now--maybe not to the extent that it is in FALLS, but it's really not that far-fetched of an idea. In fact, while I was researching the sciency parts (yes "sciency" is totally a word) I came across several websites created by people and organizations scarily similar to the ones found in FALLS.

So, to answer the second part of your question--it was both easy and hard; easy because I didn't have to completely make everything up, and there was plenty of existing literature and opinions on both sides of the issue that I could use to fuel my words, but difficult for the same reason. When some understanding of a topic (such as cloning) already exists, I feel like I have an obligation to have heavily researched it all so I can present scenarios and such that at least seem plausible based on that existing science. And trying to make sense of some of those scientific theories--and then trying to find an interesting way to weave it into a moving story-- makes my brain hurt in a big way.

message 42: by Stefanie! (last edited Feb 02, 2015 06:24PM) (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @KittyKat:

17. A combination of things--from personal experience (not with clones, obviously, but with losing people), to a love of sci-fi, to a picture I saw on the internet and a song I heard on Pandora

(this is the picture and this is the song)

Beyond that, it's hard to say! I can't pinpoint an exact catalyst for this story. It was just the end result of all these things--and more--bouncing around in my head.

message 43: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Opal:

18. I think the most important thing, for me, is to not get so caught up in the science parts that you forget about the human elements of your story.

I love flashy, cool sciency stuff as much as the next person, but I'm willing to bet that Star Wars wouldn't haven't become the classic it is if it had been all lightsaber and x-wing battles--there's a reason everyone knows the quote "Luke, I am your father" (although the nerd in me needs to point out that this isn't the ACTUAL quote, but I digress...). It's because that scene with Vader, and others like it, create an emotional, human something for the audience to grab on to. And at least for me, it's that stuff that resonates long after the story's over.

message 44: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Oda:

19. I usually start off with just an idea and let it carry me as far as it will--usually for the first few chapters--before I have to actually sit down and figure out where to go from there. With FALLS, the first three chapters were more or less completely made up as I went along, but then I sort of hit a wall, so I sat down and plotted at that point. The story did veer away from my outline at some points even then, though--and when that happens, I usually don't fight it! When the story turns itself without my say-so, I've found it's usually for the better.

And I bounce wildly from super disciplined to terribly unproductive :) Some weeks--particularly if I'm on a deadline-- I sit dutifully in my chair and write for a set amount of time. Other days I just have my computer sitting on the kitchen table and I randomly stop at it and type a paragraph here and there as I'm doing other things. I almost always set goals, though-- "I'll be at 50,000 words in this book by the end of the week", for example. Whether that means 2,000 words for five days straight or 5,000 words for two days straight, who knows?

It's also worth mentioning that I often totally fail at these goals (I tend to aim unreasonably high) BUT even so, I still get more done just by *having* a goal to shoot for, even if I don't quite reach it.

20. Definitely plot. I'm terrible at plot. I get so jealous when I read books or watch movies with insanely cool plot twists that I didn't see coming! And setting isn't necessarily *hard*, I just usually forget about it and have to go back and add lots of details to keep it from seeming like my characters are just floating around in empty space. I could write said characters just hanging out and having a dialogue all day, though.

21. All chocolate is good chocolate

22. All hot drinks are good hot drinks! Though lately I'm on a white peach tea kick...Mmmmm...*pauses to go make some*

23. Meg Murry from A WRINKLE IN TIME was my spirit animal growing up

24. Oh man, it's hard to choose just one. My mind jumped straight to Dumbledore and Harry Potter, though, and eventually settled on this quote from the Deathly Hallows: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" As a writer who spends so much time in her own head, I'm pretty sure I stood up and gave Rowling a standing ovation when I read that line. I've also considered having "So it goes." (in the words of Mr. Vonnegut from Slaughterhouse-Five) tattooed on myself, because it's just such a simple but also ridiculously powerful line to me, with all the different ways you can interpret those three little words.

25. I have a rather extensive bucket list! My husband and I actually sat down a year or so ago and wrote it out, and then I made a crafty sort of thing out of it and hung it on the wall as a reminder of all the stuff we still need to do--stuff that ranges from having a baby (check!) to bathing in a hot spring and watching the northern lights in Iceland.

message 45: by Raquel (new)

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 35 comments Uau, you are sich an effective answerer! (is that a word? Like you, I say it is!) And I love your responses, especially the one about what is important to remember as a fantasy/sci-fi writer. Great Q&A!!!

message 46: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Amazing responses so far, Stefanie!! We all really appreciate you coming to our little group for this Q&A :)

And a HUGE congrats on your newborn!

I won't pile on any more questions as you have plenty to keep you busy :)

message 47: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments Hello again everyone :) Glad ya'll are enjoying the Q and A so far and thanks for all the congrats and stuff on baby girl. Popping in a bit late tonight to catch up on all your great questions! Feel free to keep asking away.

*dives in again*

@Raquel:

26. That's up to the publishing gods :) My U.S. publisher, Simon and Schuster, currently holds translation rights, which could sell at any time (or never, sadly) to foreign publishers, who would then translate and get FALLS on the shelves of their countries.

27. Going to do that super lazy thing again and copy and paste from above ;) -- I bounce wildly from super disciplined to terribly unproductive when it comes to my writing routine :) Some weeks--particularly if I'm on a deadline-- I sit dutifully in my chair and write for a set amount of time. Other days I just have my computer sitting on the kitchen table and I randomly stop at it and type a paragraph here and there as I'm doing other things. I almost always set goals, though-- "I'll be at 50,000 words in this book by the end of the week", for example. Whether that means 2,000 words for five days straight or 5,000 words for two days straight, who knows?

It's also worth mentioning that I often totally fail at these goals (I tend to aim unreasonably high) BUT even so, I still get more done just by *having* a goal to shoot for, even if I don't quite reach it.

28. I love sci-fi and fantasy, but also the occasional dark and edgy contemporary. And I have a soft spot for magical realism, too. And countless writers inspire me; it sounds totally cheesy, but in this day and age of the internet and blogs, I've read so many stories of other authors who have persevered through rejection after rejection, manuscript after manuscript, etc... and it all reminds me that I can do the same. We're all in this together, connected by this awesome love of stories and a need to tell them even when the industry side of things gets tough, and I just think that's really cool *cue sappy inspirational music*

message 48: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Jess:

29. I'm very picky about what stories I decide to pursue. I have tons of ideas bouncing around in my head at any given time, but only a few of them are ones I decide are worth writing about, based on a few different things. Whether I'm passionate about it is the number one thing, of course--and I can usually tell this by whether or not a story idea goes away after a few days or else keeps gnawing at me, demanding to be told. And then there's the first few chapters test--that is, can I get past the first thirty pages and still care about writing the story? If so, then I usually plug on until I finish it. And, to a lesser extent, there's always the market to take into some consideration...as in, has this story that I'm thinking of telling been done a billion times already by other authors? Of course, there are no new stories, and I think it's impossible to be totally original because we're all humans all living in the same world, so we're bound to have some of the same ideas-- but I like to at least know that I have a somewhat unique take on a certain storyline if I'm going to dedicate the time to writing it.

message 49: by Stefanie! (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Phaedra:

30. I love cooking! I just hate cleaning up the mess afterwards. If it weren't for all the dirty dishes involved, I'd cook a five course meal every night :)

31. I would love to see FALLS released there! Unfortunately, I don't have much control over this; the Dutch translation rights would have to sell to an interested Dutch publisher before this could happen. Fingers crossed that it will in the near future, though!

message 50: by Stefanie! (last edited Feb 03, 2015 09:52PM) (new)

Stefanie! | 24 comments @Storm:

32. ooooh, I love this question, but it's a tough one! All of my works-in-progress have massive playlists that I write them to, so it's hard to narrow it down to just five. But let's see...*pulls up iTunes*

This song reminds me of Violet a lot, and this one makes me think of Cate and Violet's relationship, and then there's this one, and for the action scenes, this song by Florence and the Machine and this one by Imagine Dragons always got me pumped up.

But that's seriously only five of like, a hundred, haha.

33. Yes! There's a sort of sequel to FALLS coming out in 2016. Don't have an exact release date yet, but it will be from Violet's POV, and heavily feature Seth as well. It picks up about six months after the events in FALLS. I also have other books in the pipeline (a YA epic fantasy, for example) but nothing definite on them yet. Fingers crossed that I have lots more books making it to store shelves in the future!

34. I would just hope that I'm still writing regularly, writing the kind of stories I love, and that I've been successful enough to make a comfortable living at it

35. Probably the squishy arm chair in the corner of my local coffee shop

36. Lately I do all my reading reclined in a chair with a snoozing baby stretched across me, so...I'd have to say that's my current favorite position :)

« previous 1

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Falls the Shadow (other topics)