The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

District 8 girl's death

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fearthgfan (new)

Fearthgfan Just in case anyone needs a reminder: She is the one who Katniss spotted making a fire and thought she was dumb-to say the least-for doing so, and was later found by careers and Peeta. Any way, in the conversation Katniss heard, Peeta said he would go back to finish her. Make sure she's dead. When he returns, all he says is "she is now" when asked if she was dead, and the cannon is heard. Where am I getting with this?

Here it is: What if Peeta didn't kill her? Maybe she was dead already, or died while he was there. It's also possible that, like I read somewhere, that if he did kill her, it was just to end her suffering. Like Katniss did with Cato.

What do you think?

Britty Kitty I also thought he basically went back to end her suffering - is that not actually in the books? Now I've read so much fanfiction, it's really hard to tell the difference between what really happened and what all fan fiction writers envisioned happening.

message 3: by Fearthgfan (new)

Fearthgfan The book is from Katniss' point of view, she wouldn't know what really happened. But after the careers attacked her, they left so "they can pick up the body before it starts smelling" but there was no cannon yet. So they started arguing, and Peeta said "we're wasting time! I'll go finish her and let's move on" he left, and when he returned they asked him if she was dead. He answered " no, but she is now" and they heard the cannon. He didn't really say he killed her. What if she died on her own?

Izzy I believe that Peeta doesn't have the heart to kill anyone. She probably died before then, but they were too close to the body for the cannon to go off. I mean, no one knows for sure.

message 5: by Fearthgfan (new)

Fearthgfan So I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Izzy Fearthgfan wrote: "So I'm not the only one who thinks that."

It couldn't have been Peeta, he's too kindhearted. Even Katniss admits it in the end of the third book.

message 7: by Fearthgfan (new)

Fearthgfan Yeah, that's true

message 8: by Fearthgfan (new)

Fearthgfan There's also some discussion in other places of why/how Katniss survived the bloodbath. It may be because she sort of did what Haymitch told her to: run away and find water, although during her struggle with the boy from district 9 over the backpack, Clove did manage to attack her. And in the movie Clove went for her as soon as she had those knives, just had bad luck. Clove is the only career ( not counting Cato at the end) who almost killed her twice.