Reading the Chunksters discussion

Archived 2015 Group Reads > The Quincunx - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Despite the obscurity of the theme and the unpredictable nature of the poll, we now have a winner with the four votes ahead of the runner-up. Let me remind you that the margin of victory is three votes. It means for the next couple of months we will be reading The Quincunx, a neo-Victorian novel with all the typical tropes of the dispossessed, lost and found parents, family secrets, clandestine letters, and all the other attributed of Victorian fiction, BUT written by a contemporary writer and with the modern twist.

I will be posting the reading schedule in a couple of days, and hopefully we will have a very lively discussion.

Do not forget that we are also planning to have a readathon of literary fiction. I believe the first book that will be read is Seven Types of Ambiguity, and I plan to launch this project in the second half of February. Wonderful things to look forward to.

message 2: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I may - might - end up reading both books. Depends on how long the schedule will be. I haven't even heard of these books before. I don't know what to expect. I'll wait for now.

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Yay, we have a winner!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I'm very excited for both of these!

message 5: by Dustin (last edited Jan 27, 2015 12:56PM) (new)

Dustin Amanda wrote: "I'm very excited for both of these!"

I read Seven Types of Ambiguity in 2009, I believe it was, and enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it amazing or life-altering, but really slid writing, coupled with seven compelling narratives. I hope you all enjoy it.

The Quincunx sounds interesting.:)

message 6: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) This is the tentative schedule, and I have a couple of questions I would like to ask concerning this very schedule.

Question one - occasionally the page load is up to sixty two pages, but mostly it is fifty-fifty five. Is it too intensive? I am using this edition The Quincunx. It is a quality paperback, and the pages are relatively large and wide and the font is smallish.

Question two - In my schedule there is a break, but my personal experience tells me that it works best without one if the group is committed and everyone virtually stays on the same page. Do we need a break or do you think the discussion will be smoother without one?

Please let me know your thoughts, and I will adjust the schedule if needed.

P.S. The book consists of parts, books, and chapters. I believe even here Palliser is following the Victorian tradition for big books. I relied mostly on chapters and parts (the biggest and the smallest markers), and ignored books. So please do not be misled. A couple of times books markers and weekly selections coincide, but it does not happen on a regular basis.

02/09 Part I, Chapters 1-10
02/16 Part I, Chapters 11-25
02/23 Part II, Chapters 26-33
03/02 Part II, Chapters 34-38
03/09 Part II, Chapters 39-44
03/16 Part II, Chapters 45-50
03/23 Part III, Chapters 51-62
03/30 Part III, Chapters 63-75
04/06 - BREAK
04/13 Part IV, Chapters 76-85
04/20 Part IV, Chapters 86-94
04/27 Part IV, Chapters 95-100
05/04 Part V, Chapters 101-117
05/11 Part V, Chapters 118-The End

P.P.S. We can start sooner if you want :-)

message 7: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 294 comments Hi Zulfiya! Thanks for making a schedule!

Q1: Not too fast at all! The faster the better for me!

Q2: I personally don't think we'll need a break, especially as this should be a fairly "easy" read in terms of getting through the weekly allotment. Maybe we can decide closer to the break, though, based on how many people are keeping up versus falling behind.

I can start whenever! :-)

Question of my own - does anyone know of a good way to really obviously mark each week's reading on an ebook? I usually use "real" books and tabs, but I'm switching to kindle for a time. I know I can make bookmarks, but they are small and not obvious, and I might forget to look for them!

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) Super excited!!! I can not wait!!!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) Q1 it's not too fast for me. I think it looks good.

Q2 I don't really think breaks are necessary unless it's for something like Christmas but I agree that we should see if a lot of people are falling behind and then consider the break week.

I can start whenever the group decides.

I will also be reading on a kindle which is not how I usually do group reads so I'm interested in the bookmark question as well.

message 10: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments Kaycie wrote: "Question of my own - does anyone know of a good way to really obviously mark each week's reading on an ebook?"

You can do bookmarks to mark the end of each segment. I have my Kindle copy on reserve so don't have it in front of me, but don't know whether this one does pages, or only locations. If pages, it should be fairly easy to keep track of.

message 11: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) I would like to join -- schedule looks good.

I think we should check in closer regarding the break.

I'm also reading W&P and A Dance with Dragons so I don't think I can add in the readathon book. However, does this mean that Midnight's Children will go on the Readathon list??

message 12: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) If Ami wants to read it as a part of the project.

message 13: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) I'm looking forward to discussing it with people who have more experience in the matter. I'd probably learn a lot in the process.

message 14: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 152 comments I have a Kindle copy of The Quincunx on hold at the library, but it could be as much as two weeks before it's my turn, so a break in the reading schedule would be to my advantage giving me a chance to catch up. I've think I've started Quincunx a few times, and then put it down, but I don't remember why. Reading with the group should get me past whatever road block I ran into.

I won't be able to read Seven Types of Ambiguity, but I voted for Midnight's Children, and I would like to see it show up again somewhere, sometime.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wright I would like to join this discussion but I have a uk amazon account and live in malaysia-finding it hard to find a kindle version or paperback in shops here. Any ideas? Downloading it from somewhere else would be ideal ...

message 16: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) http://www.bookurve.com/book.php?isbn...

The site says that it is one of the biggest Malaysian online bookstores.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wright Thank you, I've emailed them to see if they have it. Fingers crossed :)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wright Thank you, I've emailed them to see if they have it. Fingers crossed :)

message 19: by SusanK (new)

SusanK I stumbled across this group by happy coincidence, looking at a review of Quincunx to decide if I wanted to keep this book after 15 years on the shelf. I'm delighted to find you all and look forward to reading it.

message 20: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Wonderful, Susank. I hope you will enjoy the discussion.

message 21: by Anoop (new)

Anoop Pai B (anooppai) I had read this book last year, took me about a month to finish it. A dazzling novel :)

message 22: by Pip (new)

Pip | 2 comments I read this years and years ago - fabulous novel! - and now would be a good time for a re-read, were it not for the fact that I'm miles behind on practically all of my other reading commitments. On the other hand, I need to start reading for enjoyment again, and not because I feel duty bound. So you might find me around in the discussion :-)

message 23: by Joy (new)

Joy Arnold I just ordered this book and I am so excited! Thanks for posting a schedule. It very doable and this looks like its going to be a great read.

message 24: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 294 comments I am waiting for my library copy, still, but will catch up as soon as i get it!

message 25: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lo I too am waiting for my library copy. I hope to get it next week. Can only get to keep it for 6 weeks though...

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) | 388 comments I think I'll start reading tonight :).

message 27: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Wise move. I am going to do it later today.

message 28: by Kaycie (last edited Feb 04, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

Kaycie | 294 comments Maureen wrote: "I too am waiting for my library copy. I hope to get it next week. Can only get to keep it for 6 weeks though..."

Maureen, a paper copy or a kindle copy from the library? There is a trick for keeping kindle copies a bit longer...

message 29: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lo Kaycie wrote: "Maureen wrote: "I too am waiting for my library copy. I hope to get it next week. Can only get to keep it for 6 weeks though..."

Maureen, a paper copy or a kindle copy from the library? There is..."

Its paper copy. Just picked it up from my local library this evening. Was told I can only borrow it for a month. :( I will probably have to source this book again from another library after the one month period. Was very eager to start on the book and have just finished chapter 2.

message 30: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) Ordered my copy, supposed to arrive middle of next week. Hopefully I can catch up quickly :)

message 31: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 152 comments I'm a little confounded by my Kindle copy's divisions... the Table of Contents doesn't really exist except as a scan, and it only shows Parts (I,II,III,etc) -- no mention of Books, or chapters. I read the first 5 chapters, which were Part I, Book I, which ends with John lying about their walk to protect Sukey. Now I am beginning Book II, Chapter 0.

None of these divisions seem to correlate with the reading schedule. I don't have a Part I Chapter 1-10 at the beginning. I'm not sure how to gauge my reading with the reading schedule. Help please?

message 32: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I am sorry that your version of the e-book is botched. I just checked the Kindle version in the USA, using the 'Look Inside' option, and its content is exactly as the one in my book, so I do not know how o help you.

I only know that Amazon Customer Service is very friendly and maybe you will be allowed to 'return' your version and download the other one. Obviously, the product is not as described, so at least you might try to get your money back. They usually do not do it with downloads, but yours might be a special case.

message 33: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I've just finished reading the first 10 chapters on my kindle. Part 1, Book I: A Wise Child features chapters 1-5, and chapters 6-10 are in the Part 1, Book II: Friends Lost section. Maybe you're not missing any section of the book? Or maybe try reloading the ebook? Hope this helps.

message 34: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 152 comments Teanka wrote: "I've just finished reading the first 10 chapters on my kindle. Part 1, Book I: A Wise Child features chapters 1-5, and chapters 6-10 are in the Part 1, Book II: Friends Lost section. Maybe you're n..."

That's how my book is numbered within the context, just have no table of contents.

message 35: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 152 comments Zulfiya wrote: "I am sorry that your version of the e-book is botched. I just checked the Kindle version in the USA, using the 'Look Inside' option, and its content is exactly as the one in my book, so I do not k..."

I didn't get the book from Amazon, it's from an online library. My problem isn't that there are sections missing, but that I have no way to see chapters except within context. Teanka's message #34 explains the way my book looks in context. If you included the Book numbers as well as the chapters, I could figure out the reading schedule. I know it's extra work, and of course you don't need to do this, but it would help. I will probably figure it out anyway. Thanks!

message 36: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I will add some extra info later today with the first lines of each section.

message 37: by Ami (new)

Ami Anoop wrote: "I had read this book last year, took me about a month to finish it. A dazzling novel :)"

Will you be adding Q to the Readathon? It was in my top two to vote for if "Midnight's Children" didn't do well in the last poll. I would be interested in reading it, if you or somebody else wanted to lead the discussion down the road.

message 38: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I'd love to join this group read and discussion! It will be my first in a while. Looking forward to this book!

message 39: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Nikki, we started discussing it this week. The first thread has been posted here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 40: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 294 comments I finally got my book! Yay! I'll be catching up soon! :-)

message 41: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Some information contemporary to publication.

‘The Quincunx’ Twists Its Way to Success
Lawrence Journal-World
https://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...

THE SPIRIT OF DICKENS PRESENT
New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/04/boo...

The NY gives some hints about ending in last paragraph so careful about that if it's a concern.