Beta Reader Group discussion

PAID services offered > Editor for Transgressive Fiction, Alternative Fiction, Horror, Gothic Fiction, Erotica, LGBT Fiction, and Romance*

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eve Marie (last edited Mar 09, 2015 10:22AM) (new)

Eve Marie (hhhell) | 23 comments Now taking appointments for the month of March!

Are you an independent author looking to polish and/or publish your story? Do you need comprehensive, nonjudgmental feedback on your work before submitting to a publisher? Send a synopsis of your work to Edits by Eve Marie.

Packages range from basic line editing to comprehensive copy and developmental editing, with prices starting as low as $0.002/word. Inquiring authors will receive a free edit and evaluation of a sample of their work.

For information about acceptable submissions, my credentials, and payment and contact details, visit Edits by Eve Marie.

I want to reiterate that I am only accepting appointments for the month of March and beyond.

Note: All authors who purchase a package from Edits by Eve Marie are eligible for a complimentary review of their work on their website(s) of choice (e.g. Amazon, GoodReads, Barnes & Noble, etc).

Contact me or drop a line below if you're interested.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to know what you mean by transgressive fiction. That's a new one on me -- but it might describe my novel.

Jim Dodds

message 3: by Eve Marie (new)

Eve Marie (hhhell) | 23 comments James wrote: "I'd like to know what you mean by transgressive fiction. That's a new one on me -- but it might describe my novel.

Jim Dodds"

Hi Jim,

Transgressive fiction is a difficult genre to define. Here is the best definition I can provide:

The term usually refers to a genre of fiction in which characters feel confined by and/or [seek to] subvert societal norms, expectations, and limitations. Often, they do so in illegal or illicit ways. The genre is marked by taboo themes including drug and alcohol (ab)use, violence, sexual activity, crime, and pedophilia -- but not necessarily restricted to these themes. Writing style is often spare or matter-of-fact; character development is typically privileged over plot; and taboo/illicit subject matter is presented more as a means of creating a portrait of human life than to titillate readers. Authors whose works are frequently classified as 'transgressive' include: Hubert Selby, Jr., Dennis Cooper, William S. Boroughs, Bret Easton Ellis, Kathy Acker, and Chuck Palahniuk.

Hope that clears things up for you. If you're not sure whether your novel falls into that category, I encourage you to contact me through my website or send me a PM anyway, and we can discuss it further.

Best,
Eve