Lakeland Public Library discussion

YA Reads > Time's 100 best young adult books of all time

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:57AM) (new)

Amanda | 210 comments Mod
TIME released a list of what it considers to be the best 100 young adult books of all time.
These are the top 5:
1. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone This includes the entire series.

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief

4. A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle A Wrinkle in Time

5. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Charlotte's Web

Check out the rest by visiting the website:
The 100 Best Young Adult Books of All Time

This list has been met with some criticism. Some are arguing that these books are not young adult books, but children's books. And some are questioning the lack of diversity of the authors on the list.

YALSA's Analysis of TIME Magazine's 100 Best Books for Young Adults

Bustle's Analysis of TIME Magazine's 100 Best Young Adult Books

Do you agree with TIME's list of the best young adult books?

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber | 9 comments I actually clicked on the link and looked through the list before I read all of your post, and I was having thoughts about how quite a few of the titles on the list really aren't YA--I mean, how many teens or tweens do you know who are reading Roald Dahl's Matilda for anything other than sentimental nostalgia? It's given an AR level of 5.0, but I would have guessed closer to a 2 or 3.

My second issue was that while plenty of these books are awesome, I've seen the Percy Jackson books referenced as an example of whether is better for kids to just not read anything than to read subpar garbage. While I don't think the Percy Jackson books are that bad, I'm not sure how I feel about seeing something commonly used in that context on a list of the "Best YA Books of All Time." Best selling, maybe. Actual best? ...

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 210 comments Mod
That's a good point about best selling versus best book of all time. It brings into question whether you base your list off of popularity, quality of the writing or quality of the story. There are so many factors to consider when making a list like this.