75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2015 Completed) > Patricia 2015 75 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I am so glad to join this challenge. I look forward to hearing of good books to read.

message 2: by Patricia (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:15AM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Read in January, 2015 Leaving TIme by Judi Picoult:

Summary:For over a decade, Jenna Metcalf obsesses on her vanished mom Alice. Jenna searches online, rereads journals of the scientist who studied grief among elephants. Two unlikely allies are Serenity Jones, psychic for missing people who doubts her gift, and Virgil Stanhope, jaded PI who originally investigated cases of Alice and her colleague.

My review This was a very interesting read that i won't say too much about as it would spoil it! Elephants feature prominently in the story. There was so much I did not know before reading this.

I gave it 5 stars!

message 3: by Karol (new)

Karol Patricia,

Welcome to the group! I'm really glad you've joined us.

I might be the only person in this group who's never read Jodi Picoult. I have to say that Leaving Time has me intrigued. I'm adding it to my "To Read" list. Thanks for your great comments about it.

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7509 comments Mod
Welcome Patricia! I'm a Jodi Picoult fan! I've got a few I need to catch up on, including this one!

message 5: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4071 comments Mod
I used to read Jodi's books as soon as they came out and then I needed a break and didnt read any for years and now I'm itching to read all the ones that are newer. I read My Sister's Keeper on our Honeymoon and I really likes that one but the ending was meh.

message 6: by Patricia (last edited Feb 21, 2015 08:54AM) (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Updated list for 2105
1 Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

2. Next-Day Job Interview: Prepare Tonight and Get the Job Tomorrow
by Michael J. Farr, Michael Farr

3 Sell Yourself in Any Interview: Use Proven Sales Techniques to Land Your Dream Job by Oscar Adler

4. The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain.

5 Little mercies by Heather Gudenkauf.

6 The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō, Cathy Hirano

7 Landline by Rainbow Rowell

8 Charlie Bumpers vs. the Teacher of the Year by Bill Harley (Goodreads Author), Adam Gustavson (Illustrations)

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō, Cathy Hirano

I must say that I am always looking for a way to get better at organizing. This was unfortunately not it. The author's voice was very evident however her methods were very hard for this unorganized reader.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I just finished the book "Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success
by Steve Harvey"

I am a sucker for self-help books I must admit! I loved it. I always find that there is something more to learn about myself and Stever Harvey's style of writing made it an easy read.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 1 Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

3 Sell Yourself in Any Interview: Use Proven Sales Techniques to Land Your Dream Job by Oscar Adler

6 The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondō, Cathy Hirano

8 Charlie Bumpers vs. the Teacher of the Year by Bill Harley (Goodreads Author), Adam Gustavson (Illustrations)

9. Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success by Steve Harvey

message 10: by Karol (new)

Karol I love self-help books, too. I've got a couple on organizing. How helpful was The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing?

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Not for me, I am way too disorganized but it did help me move in the right direction!

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Just finished Bush 41: A Portrait of My Father by George Bush. It was an interesting read. I learned a great deal about the president that I did not know. It made me think about reading more present day biographies

message 13: by Patricia (new)

10. 41: A Portrait of My Father by George Bush

message 14: by Karol (new)

Karol Patricia wrote: "Just finished Bush 41: A Portrait of My Father by George Bush. It was an interesting read. I learned a great deal about the president that I did not know."

I think I'll have to read this one. Thanks for the tip!

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I just finished "Winter Street" by Elin Hilderbrand

This is a story of a dysfunctional family's Christmas. I really liked it but at the end I was disappointed. I wanted more but as in life things don't always come wrapped up in a bow.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

11. Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand

message 17: by Patricia (new)

12. Gray Mountain by John Grishma
13 Chocolate for Two byMaria Murnane

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Chocolate for Two by Maria Murname is a light read.
John Grisham's Gray Mountain was great story.

message 19: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments How did you like The Silent Sister? I'm anxious to read that one. And how did you like Landline? I read that one and was disappointed it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I enjoyed Landline I suppose I like the magic of it.

The SIlent Sister had me guessing thoughout the story and wanting to see if I was correct. There are a great deal of problems revealed as she goes through her deceased father's things.

message 21: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments Thanks, I'm going to try to get to The Silent Sister soon.

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I finished Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottoline.This was a great book!!!!! I love reading a story where you can't believe it could get worse and it does. It also does a great job of wrapping things up.

message 23: by Patricia (new)

14. Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottoline

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I just finished " In the Blood" by Lisa Unger. It was a great thriller that had you guessing and wondering what would be the next evil thing to happen.

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 1. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

15. In the Blood by Lisa Unger

message 26: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Patricia, I love Lisa Scottoline.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

16. Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
17. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

How did you like Orphan Train and Wild? They're both in my TBR.

message 29: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I liked the Orphan Train and part of the reason is that one of the characters was from my mother's hometown in Ireland. I thought that it was a very interesting read about a time that I did not know as much about and the comparison between the old time orphans and today's foster care system was really intriguing.

Wild was vastly different as it is non-fiction. My cousin recently went on a similar trek and my sister-in-law had considered it so from that perspective I was fascinated about the reasons that one does something like that. The lost to found as part of that title is really why the two of them wanted to do this also. There were times that I wanted to begin such a journey and other times I thought it was this nuts.

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I just read "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins

I loved it. It was such an interesting premise and something I think we all do, makeup stories about strangers. The story is told through three people which makes it even more interesting.

message 31: by Patricia (new)

18: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

message 32: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Patricia, you are moving right along!

message 33: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

There are some books that you read that you can hear the author's voice coming through. This book was one of these. Amy really gives you an inside look at her life in a way that only she can.

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments .1. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

19. Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

message 35: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Patricia wrote: "Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

There are some books that you read that you can hear the author's voice coming through. This book was one of these. Amy really gives you an inside look at her life in a ..."

I really liked Yes, Please! I listened to the audiobook narrated by Amy herself and it was great.

message 36: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse, I'm on the wait list to get the audio for Yes Please. i thought it would be enjoyable to listen to versus reading.

message 37: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I just finished Being Mortal by Atul GawandeIt. It seems odd to say " I really liked this book" as it's topic is not one that you want to think about. My sister, Christine, passed away this past August and there is still a hole in my heart. My father passed away about 4 years ago. It really does a good job of explaining the choices you can make as you approach this time in your life either through aging or illness things one probably does not voice or thinking of. Whereas I have thought about what I would like for my funeral ( Mass, no wake but a celebration of life at the beach after Mass) I have never thought about the time prior to that. This book gives many examples of people's choices and how our thinking as a society has changed because society has changed.

message 38: by Patricia (new)

20. Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
by Atul Gawande

message 39: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Patricia wrote: "I just finished Being Mortal by Atul GawandeIt. It seems odd to say " I really liked this book" as it's topic is not one that you want to think about. My sister, Christine, passed away this past Au..."

Wow, Patricia, that sounds like a very thought-provoking book!

message 40: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Patricia, I'm sorry to hear about your dad and sister. The loss of a beloved family member before the ripest of old age never seems fair. I'm glad that this book may help to ease some of your pain.

message 41: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Patricia, I'm sorry to hear about your dad and sister. The loss of a beloved family member before the ripest of old age never seems fair. I'm glad that this book may help to ease some of your pain.

message 42: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I just finished David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell.

I love reading Malcolm Gladwell as he always has me thinking. This is a great book that looks at the underdog and how they are successful at times that you would never think they would be starting with the story of David and Goliath.

message 43: by Patricia (new)

by Atul Gawande
21.David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell.

message 44: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Mightier Than the Sword by Jeffrey Archer

I did NOT realize that this was part of a series so when it ended I was left feeling that there needed to be more. Of course there is! Interesting characters and plot

message 45: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments . Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
by Atul Gawande
21.David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell.
22.Mightier Than the Sword by Jeffrey Archer

message 46: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments I just finished "15 Seconds" by Andrew Gross

This book has you guessing! Several themes are intertwined in the story including the length a parent would go for a child, drugs, the downturn in the economy and how eaay it is to get a gun.

message 47: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 1.Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
by Atul Gawande
23. 15 Seconds by Andrew Gross

message 48: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments Love the summer as I get to concentrate on reading!
I just finished Unleashed by David RosenfeltInteresting book that has golden retrievers as part of the story as a backdrop. You wonder too if this is something that could indeed happen.

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments 1.Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
by Atul Gawande
23. 15 Seconds by Andrew Gross
24. Unleashed by David Rosenfelt

message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1279 comments At the Water's Edge
by Sara Gruen
I was so looking forward to this book as I LOVED Water for Elephants which had me exploring more books about the circus and that time period. I enjoyed this book and there were times that I wanted to scream at the characters. There were, however, some things in the book that seemed not as believable or over the top ( tourists traveling during the war, Loch Ness monster, suicide, family disownment, lobotomy, drug use, date violence, World War II). I think if one of these topics were more flushed out I would have enjoyed it more. I will read more from this author because it may be more a case of me so enamored of the first book I read of hers that it would be difficult for another one to meet that expectation

« previous 1 3