South Shore Readers discussion

Juno/2015 Blizzard Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1107 comments Mod
So, since most of us will be trapped inside all day, it is a good time to read. What do you plan on reading to pass the time during the storm?

message 2: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 492 comments Mod
I just finished Beautiful You by Chuck Palahniuk and I'm about to start the play Doubt by John Patrick Shanley. That's only 58 pages so I'm planning to read something else after that, maybe the Lena Dunham book.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

And I'm still reading Dr Zhivago. Or trying to. I WILL finish this book!

My husband is on hour 2 of a nap.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7 comments Just finished The Girl On The Train (my mystery for the 2015 challenge). And I am working my way through the memoir The Happiness Project. A great day to read!

message 5: by Joanie (new)

How was The Girl on the Train? I want to read that. Just finished "Doubt" for the play task. So good!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

I've made quite a bit of progress on Dr Z, but still not done. There's still a chance I can finish it tonight.

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Hope you're done so you can read something you actually enjoy!

message 8: by Jessica (new)

less than 100 pages left! It's an odd read because I find parts of it really captivating but others are "WHO CARES?!?!"

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7 comments Joanie wrote: "How was The Girl on the Train? I want to read that. Just finished "Doubt" for the play task. So good!"

I enjoyed The Girl on the Train. It written in an interesting way from the point of view of the three women involved in the story, with each chapter being a different woman's story. And I didn't figure out who it was, so that made it more fun. If you read it, let me know what you think :)

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 19 comments Reading and enjoying Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. It's a little strange but good. I read Housekeeping a few years ago and really liked her writing.....Doubt was a great movie, I definitley want to read the play.

message 11: by Joanie (new)

That's exactly how I felt Jess.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

It sounds like tomorrow may be another stuck inside reading day for some. I hear that Weymouth, Pembroke, Duxbury and a number of other south shore towns have already called off school for tomorrow.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 133 comments I'm so damn jealous! I have to go to work tonight at 11pm for a 7a mon shift!

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 133 comments I'm so damn jealous! I have to go to work tonight at 11pm for a 7a mon shift!

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Boooo, Melissa. We got an email from work asking us to discuss with our manager and use our best judgement as to whether we should work from home or go in.

Haven't heard from the boy's preschool yet. Not that I can get much work done if I'm home alone with them.

Good news is that I'm about 10 pages into my next book, The Undertaking, and I'm hooked already.

message 16: by Joanie (new)

I was off but we had a MAJOR crisis with one of our students so I dealt with that from 9:00-7:00. Worst snow day ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 17: by Jessica (new)

I am still working from home since the train is not running reliably yet. This kind of chews into my reading time. But, being stuck inside more than usual, I am going a little stir crazy and the nonstop snow coverage on the news is getting old so....more reading time at home than usual!

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 19 comments My husband works in Cambridge and takes the commuter rail. He has been working from home since last Thursday since he was stuck on the T last Tuesday. Left for the train at 7:30 and finally arrived in Cambrige at around 11:15! Yeah he is not a fan of the t. That's his story. I am just plain sick of snow. Reading a couple books but not the one for this months book group. But
Will come next week for food and drink (s). : o

message 19: by Joanie (new)

I finished The Good Girl this morning which was't bad-not great though. I'm about halfway through Anya's Ghost which is just a quick graphic novel and then I'm starting The Book of Unknown Americans. I've definitely gotten a lot of reading done with the snow storms-my kids are happy to leave me alone to read if I let them play Minecraft. I've been enforcing daily reading time for them too-two weeks off school is a long time!

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 19 comments I am reading The Great Gatsby for the book challege. It will count towards the book I was suppose to read in high school but didn't. Also reading Blizzard Voices-a book of poetry about people who were caught in the great plains blizzard of 1888. It's a quick read, but made me feel guilty about my #%$%^& about all of our snow!

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 19 comments Spent a long time in the library yesterday!!!!!!

message 22: by Jessica (new)

I'm aiming to finish BUtterfield 8 today, which will count towards the challenge as a book with a number in the title. It could also count as a book that was made into a movie but I already read one for that.