The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

The Time Machine
This topic is about The Time Machine
General Science Fiction > MA Thesis - help?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (last edited Jan 27, 2015 03:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda Postma (linpostma) | 1 comments Hi there!

For my MA Thesis I am focusing on several (sci-fi) book covers and their relation to the novel, including a few covers of Shelley's Frankenstein, Huxley's Brave New World, and Wells' The Time Machine. If you have read any of these novels, could you answer one simple question for me? It won't take long! (as it truly is 1 question per poll). I'll post the separate links below.

Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley (1932):
http://freeonlinesurveys.com/app/show...

Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley (1831):

The Time Machine, by H. G. Wells (1895):

I'll be forever grateful! (and I will try and delete this post at the end of February)

With kind regards,

Linda

ps: if you want to, you are very welcome to shortly describe the cover that you have picked and explain your choice! (This might be useful for my paper)

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4009 comments Mod
I'd guess that most of us have read all 3 of these. It was a tough choice on all of them, though. The best representations weren't the ones I liked the best.

Once I took the survey, I couldn't see the book covers when I reopened the link to explain in the same browser. I could by using a different browser.

Brave New World - I picked the Harper Perennial because it seems to be androids marching - the point of the book - to make everyone the same. Odd man out is destroyed.

Frankenstein - I picked the George Routledge & Sons cover. Small man confronting his god-like creation. The 'monster' was definitely the better of the two.

The Time Machine - Pan Books because of the ghostly pull of possibilities that drove the Traveller. The Berkley & Tor covers were very close runners up, though. The first captures the destination & the latter captures the start - both very well. Still, it is the pull that drives Traveller & his fate is never known, so I stand by my choice.

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments Brave New World - I voted for Harper Perennial 2, (for the same reason as Jim) though the edition I read was the other Harper Perennial. Actually, for me, none of the choices did a very good job of accurately portraying the book.

I voted on the other two covers from your posts elsewhere.

Papaphilly | 257 comments I too found out the covers I chose were not the ones I like d best either.

For the record:

Brave New World - Penguin Modern Classics was the choice, but I could have chose Flamingo just as easily. Something about the faces in the crowd.

Frankenstein- George Routledge and Sons was the choice, but I liked Downtown Press and Airmont Classics the best.

The Time Machine - Berkley Books was the choice, but I liked the Signet cover the best. I liked this set of covers the best of the three choices.

David Merrill | 240 comments I'll have to wait until my internet connection is back up. The pics didn't load on my phone.

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's been a while since Linda did this, but the survey is still active. I wonder how her thesis went. Linda?

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

I sent her a PM to ask.

Papaphilly | 257 comments I would like to know also. Hope it went well.