A Good Thriller discussion

161 views
PIFM - Archive > Chat/Banter/Review - March Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,394 (1394 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all - just one rule:-

ENJOY!!!


message 2: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Posting already!!! :-D

What will Christine say??!!!


message 3: by Brenda (last edited Jan 27, 2015 11:11AM) (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments We early posters belong to the I Am Organized Club.

I can already tell this won't be like February!


message 4: by E. (new)

E. | 693 comments For those folks using the Goodreads app on their phone or what-not, there are no edit tools for updating.
HOWEVER , if you scroll to the bottom of the thread you'll see "Copy Topic URL"
Touch that, then open whatever browser you have (Safari, etc) and then paste into your address box. The thread will come up with all your edit tools.


message 5: by Lynn (last edited Jan 27, 2015 02:58PM) (new)

Lynn | 2214 comments Brenda wrote: "We early posters belong to the I Am Organized Club.

I can already tell this won't be like February!"


Yes, I think the February Madness Vote is over. Deep breath in, exhale slowly.


message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments E. wrote: "For those folks using the Goodreads app on their phone or what-not, there are no edit tools for updating.
HOWEVER , if you scroll to the bottom of the thread you'll see "Copy Topic URL"
Touch that..."


E, you must be 12 to know stuff like that. You completely lost me!


message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments Janet wrote: "Posting already!!! :-D

What will Christine say??!!!"


Actually, Janet, Christine approves. (-:


message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments Big favor--could everyone put the book titles in their lists in LINK mode like Brenda, Kirsten and Lynn have already done? There are lots of titles I don't know and would like to look up before voting, but when there is no link the process is really work-intensive. Thanks.


message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 70 comments Christine wrote: "Big favor--could everyone put the book titles in their lists in LINK mode like Brenda, Kirsten and Lynn have already done? There are lots of titles I don't know and would like to look up before vo..."

Christine can you tell me how to do that please?


message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments At the top of the comment box in the right center you will see add book/author. Tap it.
Tap "link"
Tap "book"
Write in name of book
Tap "search"
Tap "add" corresponding to the right book
Repeat above for each book you list
Tap Post

And there it is!!


message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 70 comments Ok thanks so very much!!! I will fix mine before tomorrow. I appreciate you teaching me that!!!


message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue (coccotoro) | 2455 comments Christine wrote: "At the top of the comment box in the right center you will see add book/author. Tap it.
Tap "link"
Tap "book"
Write in name of book
Tap "search"
Tap "add" corresponding to the right book
Repeat ab..."


Your instructions are so Good, Christine! We are going to promote you to Tech instructor!!! Ha! Ha!


message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 70 comments Sue wrote: "Christine wrote: "At the top of the comment box in the right center you will see add book/author. Tap it.
Tap "link"
Tap "book"
Write in name of book
Tap "search"
Tap "add" corresponding to the ri..."


Yes Yes she is the best!! Now for my next $100.00 question How do you get the picture of the book on here? Please and thank you. Your help is much appreciated!


message 14: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Instead of clicking on 'link' you click 'cover'. If my explanation has failed our tech support (Christine!!!) will help!! :-D She's pretty good!!


message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 70 comments Janet wrote: "Instead of clicking on 'link' you click 'cover'. If my explanation has failed our tech support (Christine!!!) will help!! :-D She's pretty good!!"

Janet thanks so very much! I understand. Wow am I ever learning a lot about Goodreads and I love it!


message 16: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Excellent! Don't ever hesitate in asking, there will always be someone that can help! :-)


message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Richards (lisadawnrichards) | 70 comments Janet wrote: "Excellent! Don't ever hesitate in asking, there will always be someone that can help! :-)"
Thanks Janet! I am sure I will have more questions in the future


message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments Sue wrote: "Christine wrote: "At the top of the comment box in the right center you will see add book/author. Tap it.
Tap "link"
Tap "book"
Write in name of book
Tap "search"
Tap "add" corresponding to the ri..."


So E and I WILL be teaming up afterall!


message 19: by Christine (last edited Jan 27, 2015 08:30PM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments I would like to know everyone's feelings on splitting votes, e.g. 1/2 vote for Black Echo and 1/2 vote for Black Flowers. Personally, I kinda don't like that. Kissing your brother sort of thing.


message 20: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 183 comments I wouldnt split votes - be brave and pick one!


message 21: by Lynn (last edited Jan 27, 2015 09:48PM) (new)

Lynn | 2214 comments Christine wrote: "I would like to know everyone's feelings on splitting votes, e.g. 1/2 vote for Black Echo and 1/2 vote for Black Flowers. Personally, I kinda don't like that. Kissing your brother sort of thing."

This list is so good for your mental health. Something has me laughing every day. I'd rather like the vote to be a solid vote, no halvsies.


message 22: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2214 comments Sue,

I looked up the book on your list Harvest on Goodreads, but was unable to find it on Amazon. Do you know if the book has been published?

Thanks,
Lynn


message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2214 comments I have a very serious problem with this challenge...

After checking out the the books on the voting lists...My TBR list just keeps getting larger!


message 24: by Sue (last edited Jan 27, 2015 11:04PM) (new)

Sue (coccotoro) | 2455 comments Lynn wrote: "Sue,

I looked up the book on your list Harvest on Goodreads, but was unable to find it on Amazon. Do you know if the book has been published?

Thanks,
Lynn"


Hi Lynn,

Yes, "Harvest" by Rob Pobi was just published Jan 6, 2015 through Simon & Schuster. (Serial Killer) I just recently received the paperback through Amazon.ca. I was very impressed with one of his previous novels called "Bloodline" , a psychological thriller published in Mar 2012. Looking forward to reading this novel.

Sue


message 25: by Brenda (last edited Jan 28, 2015 04:08AM) (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments I agree. You people are picking some fantastic books!!!! And no split votes.


message 26: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Split votes???!!!! No!!! :))

I've just had a quick look at the March threads and isn't that so much better?!! All can be seen at a glance and anyone can go through and look at your selections/books easily. Top marks to Lynn for doing her voting list in alphabetical order!!! Gold star, Lynn!! Hehe!! (That's my OCD coming out!!) :))


message 27: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
It occurred to me earlier that some participants might not be reading their monthly read until towards the end of the month, so by all means post your February reviews here. If you could just state at the top of your review which monthly read it is (February/March) and who chose your book for you, that would be great, which I'm sure you would do anyway. :)) Happy reading!


message 28: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments I nominate Lynn as President of the I Am Organized Club. :-)


message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments E, what a great list. I had a lot of difficulty choosing, especially between Sworn to Silence (my co-favorite book of 2014 with Now You See Me) and Mortal Fear (which looks great and I would love your opinion). I finally went with Sworn as I know you will love, love, love it!


message 30: by Christine (last edited Jan 28, 2015 08:05AM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments I love that so many of you guys are putting lesser known gems on your lists, especially those first of series. So exciting to discover these possibilities!


message 31: by E. (new)

E. | 693 comments I had a couple of newer authors on the list (Oak Anderson, Mel Sherratt...) but I'm going to read those books anyway as soon as I can get to them, so I took them off.


message 32: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments I've only just realised we're up and running for this. I'd best get voting.

I'm not putting a list up, as my daughter bought me Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore for Xmas and is disappointed that I've not read it as yet. So, as I don't usually have time for more than one book a month, that will be my March read. Still gonna vote and chat though.


message 33: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Well I've voted and changed my mind. I want in. The Penumbra book looks like it might be a quick read anyway.


message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments Couldn't help yourself, could you, David! (-: I'llbegivinyasomewhatfer if you don't read your daughter's book!


message 35: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments You and her both. Even if the writing suffers, I will read the book.


message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall Christine wrote: "Big favor--could everyone put the book titles in their lists in LINK mode like Brenda, Kirsten and Lynn have already done? There are lots of titles I don't know and would like to look up before vo..."

sorry I read this after I posted my book list will try to remember to go back and change it


message 37: by Brenda (last edited Jan 28, 2015 01:34PM) (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments David wrote: "Well I've voted and changed my mind. I want in. The Penumbra book looks like it might be a quick read anyway."

David, pretty sneaky putting the Penumbra book in your list. I know you're going to read it anyway, so I'm not voting for that! Your daughter will apply enough guilt!


message 38: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7988 comments I really like the format of the two different threads for March. I'm having a lot of fun keeping track. It'll be interesting to see which one wins. :)


message 39: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Brenda wrote: "David wrote: "Well I've voted and changed my mind. I want in. The Penumbra book looks like it might be a quick read anyway."

David, pretty sneaky putting the Penumbra book in your list. I know yo..."


Asked for that didn't I?


message 40: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Don't really want to be a tattle tale, but TY's messing up Janet's pick it for me thread with non-list posts. Boy, is he going to be in trouble ;~)


message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill Sturgell | 32 comments Brenda wrote: "David wrote: "Well I've voted and changed my mind. I want in. The Penumbra book looks like it might be a quick read anyway."

David, pretty sneaky putting the Penumbra book in your list. I know yo..."


I didn't vote for Penumbra either for the same reason as Brenda. You'll probably have to read it anyway. :)


message 42: by Janet , Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2015 06:41PM) (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
David wrote: "Don't really want to be a tattle tale, but TY's messing up Janet's pick it for me thread with non-list posts. Boy, is he going to be in trouble ;~)"

I know!!! And yes, he is!!!

Stick with the programme people!!! Have to say you've all done very well, I'm really pleased!! :0))

Oh and David sooo glad you've decided to join us! ;))
And you better keep your daughter happy! *you go girl!*


message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments Janet wrote: "David wrote: "Don't really want to be a tattle tale, but TY's messing up Janet's pick it for me thread with non-list posts. Boy, is he going to be in trouble ;~)"

I know!!! And yes, he is!!!

Stic..."


Someone actually voted in a book for Ty. Ty has no book list. Could chaos be just around the corner???


message 44: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Janet wrote: "David wrote: "Don't really want to be a tattle tale, but TY's messing up Janet's pick it for me thread with non-list posts. Boy, is he going to be in trouble ;~)"

I know!!! And yes,..."


Yes, I noticed that too!!


message 45: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Hi Sue - I think maybe you've accidentally made a selection for Ty, was that possibly for someone else? Ty hasn't posted a list.


message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue (coccotoro) | 2455 comments Lisa,

You haven't voted for me for Mar? Thanks

Sue


message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue (coccotoro) | 2455 comments Janet wrote: "Hi Sue - I think maybe you've accidentally made a selection for Ty, was that possibly for someone else? Ty hasn't posted a list."

I have since removed it, but Ty posted in the voting section responding to Jean on her list, and when I saw the memo was from Ty, I assumed, this was his list.

Sue


message 48: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments I have to say that the separate threads certainly streamline things, but it is certainly a real pain in the you know what to switch back and forth amongst the 3 threads. Waaaaay too much scrolling involved. Janet, can you move the PIFM header closer to the top? As close to the top as possible?


message 49: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "I have to say that the separate threads certainly streamline things, but it is certainly a real pain in the you know what to switch back and forth amongst the 3 threads. Waaaaay too much scrolling..."

I can .... but aren't you opening up more than one browser yet, like we suggested? It would be like opening up GR three times in three separate windows. Like shopping and comparing different sites at the same time. You can do that on an ipad I would have thought. I could on my android tablet.


message 50: by Christine (last edited Jan 28, 2015 07:13PM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5608 comments There is a screen you can flip to but all the headings overlap and all you see is A Good Thriller--Pick, which is of no help in distinguishing the 3. I suppose I could continually delete those windows to keep the overlap down. I can at least try it. The MacBook Air is absolutely terrible at allowing window toggling. Much as I in general love Apple, Windows 7 couldn't be beat in this situation.

Whine, complain, splutter...blimey.....


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28
back to top