2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

2015 Plans > Ly's Plan

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ly (last edited Sep 21, 2015 05:32PM) (new)

Ly | 2 comments I've tried to only choose books I haven't read yet for this challenge. I have the tendency to re-read books I love so often that I neglect new ones. Snuck a few of my favorite authors in nonetheless. Will probably also do the weeks out of order, sorry for that!

1. a book with more than 500 pages -> Traitor's Moon,Lynn Flewelling

2. a romance -> Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen

3. a book that became a movie -> The Time Machine, H.G. Wells

4. a book published this year -> The Invisible Library, Genevieve Cogman | Great book

5. a book with a number in the title -> The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom

6. a book written by someone under 30 -> Echoes of Old Souls, Nika Harper | really enjoyed this one

7. a book with nonhuman characters -> Practical Demonkeeping, Christopher Moore

8. a funny book -> After The Rabbit , Nelson Chereta

9. a book by a female author -> Luck in the Shadows, Lynn Flewelling

10. a mystery or thriller -> Solitude Creek, Jeffery Deaver

11. a book with a one-word title -> Cloak, James Gough

12. a book of short stories -> Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances, Neil Gaiman- > Love his books, looking forward to this

13. a book set in a different country -> Off to Be the Wizard , Scott Meyer

14. a nonfiction book -> The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase, Mark Forsyth | fascinating

15. a popular author's first book -> The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Agatha Christie

16. a book from your favorite author that you haven't read yet -> The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman

17. a book a friend recommended -> Stalking Darkness, Lynn Flewelling

18. a Pulitzer-prize winning book -> probably The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway

19. a book based on a true story -> Last Chance to See, Douglas Adams | quite different from what I expected but loved it anyway

20. a book at the bottom of your to read list -> The Ghost Brigades, John Scalzi

21. a book your mom loves -> A Great Deliverance, Elizabeth George | slightly changed from "book" to "author"

22. a book that scares you -> The Martian, Andy Weir

23. a book more than 100 years old -> From the Earth to the Moon, Jules Verne | incredibly good read, will have to read the sequel aswell

24. a book based entirely on its cover -> The Rooftop Inventor, Nooce Miller

25. a book you were supposed to read in school but didn't -> Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck | probably should have read this in school even if nobody told us to

26. a memoir -> The Art of Asking; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help, Amanda Palmer -> really looking forward to this

27. a book you can finish in a day -> The Maze Runner, James Dashner | really really disliked this

28.a book with antonyms in the title -> What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions, Randall Munroe

29. a book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit -> Spell or High Water , Scott Meyer

30. a book that came out the year you were born -> Seventh Son, Orson Scott Card

31. a book with bad reviews -> Game of Thorns, Joshua Vine & Greg Vine

32. a trilogy (the first) -> Foundation, Isaac Asimov | amazing

33. a trilogy (the second) -> Foundation and Empire, Isaac Asimov

34. a trilogy (the third) -> Second Foundation, Isaac Asimov

35. a book from your childhood -> Level 4 – Die Stadt der Kinder, Andreas Schlüter | somehow I expected more and less from this book, but it was entertaining

36. a book with a love triangle -> Pretties, Scott Westerfeld | slightly annoying language but solid otherwise

37. a book set in the future - > Specials, Scott Westerfeld

38. a book set in high school -> Up the Down Staircase, Bel Kaufman

39. a book with a color in the title -> The White Road, Lynn Flewelling

40. a book that made/makes you cry -> Fool's Quest, Robin Hobb| Amazing isn't a strong enough word for this book

41. a book with magic -> Shards of Time , Lynn Flewelling

42. a graphic novel -> Murder Mysteries, Neil Gaiman | Loved it

43. a book by an author you've never read before ->The (sort of) Dark Mage , Nelson Chereta

44. a book you own but have never read -> Shadows Return, Lynn Flewelling

45. a book that takes place in your hometown -> Mord nach Kohl und Pinkel: Bremen-Krimi, Angelika Griese | holy crap, most annoying book I read in years

46. a book that was originally written in another language -> Round the Moon, Jules Verne

47. a book set during Christmas (or similar holiday) -> The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Christopher Moore

48. a book written by an author with your same initials -> Fairyland, Paul McAuley

49. a play -> The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

50. a banned book -> The Giver, Lois Lowry | meh

51. a book based on OR turned into a tv show -> The 100, Kass Morgan

52. a book you started but never finished -> The Great Gatsby, somehow this was interupted by something and I never got to return to it | now I know why... meh

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments Looks like a really good list. The Great Gatsby is my unfinished book too. I never made it past the second chapter.

Like you I often reread favourite books but neglect others. I'm trying to read more of the classics on my Kindle with the challenge.

Good luck with the challenge. :-)

message 3: by Ly (new)

Ly | 2 comments Thanks!
So after I finished Journey from the Earth to the Moon, I shuffled around some books to accommodate the sequel into my plans for this challenge. Works out even better now and I have books for categories I left blank earlier. Quite happy with this now