Read Runners discussion

Black Coffee
This topic is about Black Coffee
Crime, Mystery and Thriller > Dame Christie Journey - Black Coffee

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Srividya (last edited Jun 26, 2016 11:30PM) (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Dame Christie has many fans over the world, who love her every word but are especially fond of her two genius detectives Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. Join us here as we take on the task of reading her works in chronological order, starting with the wonderful books featuring Hercule Poirot and his feats as a crime solving detective.

Books read
February- March The Mysterious Affair at Styles

March 15th - April 15th The Murder on the Links

June 1st - June 15th The Big Four

Currently Reading

June 27th - July 15th - The Mystery of the Blue Train

Do post your thoughts and comments on this book below. Do remember to use spoiler tags where required to ensure that you don't spoil the story or the mystery for our other readers.

Happy reading everyone! :)

Discussion leader:
Iniya

message 2: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments I've read this one and am waiting to see your thoughts. Happy reading!

message 3: by Smitha (new) - added it

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Have read too, but planning a reread. Shall start in a couple of days.

Amritha | 371 comments Read it a while back, planning to reread.

message 5: by Shivam (new)

Shivam (shivam21) Have read this one. It was really good.

message 6: by Smitha (new) - added it

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments This is available for free at GoodReads ebooks site:
https://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/down...

message 7: by IShita (new)

IShita Been wanting to read this one. Shall start this in Feb!

Anirudh And the killer is..... ;)

message 9: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Shall I tell? >:D

Anirudh Shinjini wrote: "Shall I tell? >:D"

It is in this novel Christie uses the expression his eyes shine like that of a cat isn't it? The poirot here in the first book and later in the series has some differences in character.

message 11: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Yes, I believe there was this description. It changes later? Why?

Anirudh Shinjini wrote: "Yes, I believe there was this description. It changes later? Why?"

No not the description, his personality. Most of the time the first book is different from the rest of them.

message 13: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments I never realised! I have read other books but since they were so out of order, it must have gone past me. I wonder why she changed it.

Anirudh Not just her pretty much everyone. Because the first book is like a pilot episode. You are unsure as to how the reader will respond. Then later you adjust your characters. Same reason she let go of Hastings.

Amritha | 371 comments My memory is vague where this one is concerned, going to start re-reading it.

Amritha | 371 comments Just finished it. I'd forgotten most of the plot, so, it was a pleasure to read it again.

Vinit Jayarajan (vinzi) | 19 comments Christie's first.. A classic for sure, but not my favorite of her works. It was a fast read and I enjoyed it, but was not quite as intrigued with the story as I had hoped.. mayb coz of the similarity with the 'Holmes..

message 18: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Hello people! What happened to this one? No one discussing it? All those who have finished the book do post your thoughts in spoiler tags and start off the discussions! :)

I will join in some time next week, once I get back here on a full time basis! :)

message 19: by Srividya (last edited Feb 16, 2015 05:23AM) (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) I just started reading this one. My initial thoughts

Chap 1

(view spoiler)

For those who have read this one or are reading it -

1. What do you think of the writing style? Does it match with her other books or do you see a difference in this one? Does this seem better or does this seem more raw?

2. What about the build up, especially in the first chapter?

3. Does the introduction of characters make you want to try and guess who the culprit is, even before knowing the victim or even the crime?

4. Overall thoughts about the beginning or Christie books in general.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Will start this one once I finish both of my current reads.:)

message 21: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Okay :)

message 22: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Up to Chap 4

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) I finished this one last night. here are some thoughts. Hopefully some others who have read this will come and chat here and not make this look like it's my own personal thread, where I am chatting with myself! Although, I am quite known to do that as well in real life! :P :P

Spoilers contain end spoilers as well, so don't read unless you have finished the book.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 9236 comments Um.. My buddy is suffering a reading slump :/ I was informed of this only yesterday and I'm already working on it :D Hopefully she'll start reading it soon :D

message 25: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) I know about your buddy Harry and her reading slump.. which is why I am here taking her place! :) :)

Hmm as for you - well I think Rushdie uncle has captivated you and you won't get to Christie auntie before you finish Rushdie uncle! :P :P

message 26: by Hajarath Prasad (new)

Hajarath Prasad Abburu (hajarath) | 9236 comments Mumma : Yesssshhhh :D Auntie will have to wait!

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) sri sri sri.. !!!!!! u r putting so many comments about the book,, I'll start today and come back.. *stomps out of the room, wonders what is meant by reading stump*

message 28: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Hahahahah that is to entice you into reading it Ini! Believe me, once you start, you won't put it down till you finish :)

Am waiting..come back soon :)

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) I know... I'll start today hopefully :-) :-) lets see...

message 30: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Okay Ini :)

message 31: by Amritha (last edited Feb 16, 2015 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amritha | 371 comments (view spoiler)

message 32: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Amritha - (view spoiler)

Amritha | 371 comments (view spoiler)

message 34: by Smitha (new) - added it

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments I am so engrossed in Lonesome Dove that I am neglecting all others, including this read. A big problem is the lack of free time these days, which I totally detest. Hoping to get free to read at the earliest. :/
But I will surely finish this one, if needed, in a single stretch on Feb 28.

message 35: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) No worries Smitha. It happens. In fact, I haven't been able to read anything till now, this month! :(

Take your time and come back here when you start. Will come back to discuss it with you and hopefully others will join in as well, once Lonesome Dove is done for them :)

message 36: by Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (last edited Feb 17, 2015 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) okay.. I started ... still in chapter 1 and these are my intial thoughts... (view spoiler)

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) completed 2 chapters (view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Iniya wrote: "completed 2 chapters [spoilers removed]"

reading in office? O_O

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) Manju wrote: "Iniya wrote: "completed 2 chapters [spoilers removed]"

reading in office? O_O"

read during lunch :-) went home for lunch ;)

message 40: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Ini (view spoiler)

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) FInished the book... (view spoiler)

message 42: by Smitha (new) - added it

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Poirot, here I come.....

message 43: by Anoop (new)

Anoop Pai B (anooppai) | 618 comments Finished this now. Was a good first book, but nothing thaaaaat great :p

message 44: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Anoop wrote: "Finished this now. Was a good first book, but nothing thaaaaat great :p"

I totally agree!! Although I can't bear to give an AC book anything less than a 4! (umm I have done with one but it bugs me to do that) :P :P

message 45: by Anoop (new)

Anoop Pai B (anooppai) | 618 comments Cheating cheating :D

message 46: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) PSmith wrote: "Poirot, here I come....."

Yay.. can't wait to see what you think! :)

message 47: by Srividya (new) - added it

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Anoop wrote: "Cheating cheating :D"

Lol! Sue me! :P :P

message 48: by Smitha (new) - added it

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Moosier -don't remember Japp ever using this term in other Christies. I assume it to be for "monsieur ".
chapter 7-41%through. I am yet not sure who the killer is.

message 49: by Anoop (new)

Anoop Pai B (anooppai) | 618 comments I am sure most of us have read Christie's best works first before picking up her first Poirot mystery. But if you all have had read this one first, would you have continued along with her?

message 50: by Smitha (new) - added it

Smitha (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments How can I tell now. My objectivity is completely lost. Still, I would say I will continue. So far I find the book interesting and I am very partial to cozy country home settings where a lot of people live .

« previous 1 3 4