Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > February 2015 Mini Challenges

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2015 10:43PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19593 comments Mod
description

Here are the mini challenges for February 2015.

As always, you may use books from any genre for this challenge. You may only use a book once for this challenge, but may use it for other challenges. Also, you do not have to choose your books ahead. If you do choose ahead, you can change your list at any time.

Have fun!

1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!).

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day — Read a book with an animal on the cover.

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day — Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red.

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort.

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title.

message 2: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina The Book Lover | 388 comments Thanks for yet another challenge! I'm going to have a look tonight to see if I have any books which would fit these categories. Number 4 sounds challenging!

message 3: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2015 11:28PM) (new)

Sabrina wrote: "Number 4 sounds challenging!"

Not that difficult at all! Shelley Freydont has a book called Foul Play at the Fair, and there is Earlene Fowler's State Fair. I know I've seen a few others that would fit in Mount TBR. Winter fairs and Mardi Gras also count -- and at least one by Laura Childs, I think it was Keepsake Crimes, has a scene at Mardi Gras.

Oh! Jim and Joyce Lavene have an entire series set at a Renaissance Fair, first in the series is Wicked Weaves. Remember, too, that your books do not HAVE to be mysteries. ;-)

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments Heather L wrote: "4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort. "

I'm not sure where you got your information, but Carnival ends at midnight on February 18, Ash Wednesday.

message 5: by Nell (last edited Jan 27, 2015 04:51AM) (new)

Nell | 1172 comments A couple of Donna Andrew's mysteries take place at a fair or festival: Some Like It Hawk and Hen of the Baskervilles. Her main character, Meg Langslow, is a decorative blacksmith who often participates in craft fairs so earlier entries also include scenes at fairs or festivals. If you haven't read any of her series, you're in for a delightful read.

Some Like It Hawk (Meg Langslow, #14) by Donna Andrews Hen of the Baskervilles (Meg Langslow, #15) by Donna Andrews

message 6: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:43AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3881 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "I'm not sure where you got your information, but Carnival ends at midnight on February 18, Ash Wednesday. "

Carnival as religious holiday (Capital C), yes, they really finish on Ash Wednesday but if we're talking about a carnival day (small C), it's something totally different. No sense in saying that Ash Wednesday is Carnival Day.

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina The Book Lover | 388 comments I was thinking of maybe reading Joyland for the book which is set at a fair/carnival... It's not exactly set at a fair, I think it's more like a theme park.
Would this book be allowed for that category?

message 8: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Feb 24, 2015 04:27AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4515 comments I'm in.

5/5..............DONE

February Mini Challenge

1. Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title.

Honeymoons Can Be Murder: The Sixth Charlie Parker Mystery......2/6/15

2. Read a book with an animal on the cover.

A Spirited Tail.....2/3/15

3. Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red.

Gilded Death: A Newport Mystery.....2/24/15

4. Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort.

Snowmen In Paradise......2/18/15

5. Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title.

For Better, For Murder....2/10/15

Honeymoons Can Be Murder The Sixth Charlie Parker Mystery (Charlie Parker Mysteries) by Connie Shelton A Spirited Tail (Mystic Notch Cozy Mystery #2) by Leighann Dobbs Gilded Death A Newport Mystery by Anne-Marie Sutton Snowmen In Paradise (Tj Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery, #2) by Kathi Daley For Better, For Murder by Lisa Bork

message 9: by Jonquil (last edited Feb 16, 2015 10:30AM) (new)

Jonquil | 62 comments 5/5
DONE

1. heart on the cover Every Boy's Got One 2/2 ★★★
2. animal on the cover- lobster Zodiac 2/11 ★★★★
3. cover is predominately pink If the Shoe Fits 2/8 ★★★★
4. has a scene set at festival of some sort All Fall Down 2/1 ★★★★
5. weapon on the cover Dying to Get Published 2/13 ★★
Every Boy's Got One (Boy, #3) by Meg Cabot If the Shoe Fits (Once Upon A Romance, #1) by Laurie LeClair Zodiac by Neal Stephenson Dying to Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1) by Judy Fitzwater Dying To Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1) by Judy Fitzwater

message 10: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:40AM) (new)

Lynn wrote: "Heather L wrote: "4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair..."

Lynn, I said Carnival Day -- it's not referring to Carnival/Mardi Gras but to carnivals in general. And don't ask me why we're celebrating it in February instead of May or June when carnivals start making their circuits. I mean, they also have Ferris Wheel Day in February, which is one month I would NOT go up in one, considering how windy (not to mention cold) the month can be.

message 11: by Lynn (last edited Jan 27, 2015 02:19PM) (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments Heather L wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Heather L wrote: "4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a c..."

Thank you for the clarification. I think it might be a meaning-of-the-language issue. The word Carnival, particularly in connection with February or March dates is associated with Mardi Gras/Carnival to me, so I thought you had the date wrong. And since the date you listed is a possible date for Mardi Gras Day, I was doubly confused.

It's an odd time to celebrate state fair-type carnivals when the religious-related Carnival is actually be celebrated and there are few state fair-type carnivals on the calendar.

Marisa wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I'm not sure where you got your information, but Carnival ends at midnight on February 18, Ash Wednesday. "

Carnival as religious holiday (Capital C), yes, they really finish on Ash W..."

I may have been a bit confusing with my original post. I know that Carnival is not on Ash Wednesday, but it does end at midnight on Ash Wednesday, which this year happens to be February 18. It's a tradition in New Orleans to see the police on horseback riding through the French Quarter declaring loudly that Mardi Gras/Carnival is over.

message 12: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Yes, I know well Ash Wednesday (I'm Spanish). Here, we had a parade (it is mainly lost now, I believe) called "The burial of the sardine", for saying bye to joy and parties.

message 13: by ❂ Murder by Death (last edited Jan 27, 2015 04:18PM) (new)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Nell wrote: "A couple of Donna Andrew's mysteries take place at a fair or festival: Some Like It Hawk and Hen of the Baskervilles. Her main character, Meg Langslow, is a decorat..."

Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos also takes place at a fair.

Kylie Logan's Chili Cook-off series (Chili con Carnage is one of the two published so far) are set in a fair circuit too.

message 14: by Becky (last edited Feb 28, 2015 10:23AM) (new)

Becky | 228 comments 2/5 Completed

2. Read a book with an animal on the cover.A Cat Under the Mistletoeby Lydia Adamson Completed 02/03
A Cat Under the Mistletoe (Alice Nestleton, #12) by Lydia Adamson

4. Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort.
Killer Crab Cakesby livia j washburn completed 02/27
Killer Crab Cakes (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #4) by Livia J. Washburn

5. Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 197 comments sounds like a fun challenge. I may just have to give it a whirl.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7471 comments I've come up with some possibilities for all the categories but still deciding what to read.

American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!).

Groundhog Day and Love Your Pet Day — Love You Madly

Valentine’s Day — Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red.

Ferris Wheel Day, Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year — Stiffs and Swine

Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title.

Love You Madly (Daytime Mystery, #3) by Linda Palmer Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4) by J.B. Stanley

message 17: by Nell (last edited Feb 26, 2015 03:10AM) (new)

Nell | 1172 comments February Mini Challenge
Progress: 3

2. Read a book with an animal on the cover.
A Tiger's Tale by Laura Morrigan

Pagan Spring by G.M. Malliet

5. Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover.
Rebel Without a Cake by Jacklyn Brady (knife)

Rebel Without a Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #5) by Jacklyn Brady A Tiger's Tale (Call of the Wilde #2) by Laura Morrigan Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3) by G.M. Malliet

message 18: by Debbie (last edited Feb 20, 2015 07:30AM) (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments 3/5

1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!).

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day — Read a book with an animal on the cover. Murder, She Meowed 2/19/15

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day — Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red.

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a fair Sew Deadly 2/6/15

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover Deadly Daggers 2/16/15

Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1) by Elizabeth Lynn Casey Deadly Daggers by Joyce Lavene Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5) by Rita Mae Brown

message 19: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

And thank you for a new challenge, yes, now to peruse my virtual shelves ;)

message 20: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 29, 2015 05:54PM) (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments I'm in. :) I'm gonna just barely finish January, but that's 'cuz I got distracted by the Ultimate Challenge. ;) I am back on track and rearing to go! :)

Just looked through my books for this challenge and I'm excited that I can use the next two Bubba books (by C.L. Bevill) on this challenge. I've been wanting to read them since I got them at Christmas time! :) Woo-hoo!!! Well, I think I can use #4 in that series... There is supposed to be a Murder Mystery Festival occurring during the book, so I hope at least one scene takes place there. ;) :)

message 21: by Nola (last edited Feb 24, 2015 07:21PM) (new)

Nola Arganbright | 8 comments I completed the mini challenge for January. I am in for February
Progress 4/5
1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!). Cupid's Corpse A Cozy Mystery (Gemma Stone Cozy Mystery Book 3) by Willow Monroe 2/15

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day — Read a book with an animal on the cover. Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6) by Laurien Berenson 2/8

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day — Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red. Dying To See You (Charlie Plato Mysteries #5) by Margaret Chittenden

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort.

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title. Dead Between the Lines A Devereaux's Dime Store Mystery by Denise Swanson

message 22: by Julesy (last edited Feb 28, 2015 10:40AM) (new)

Julesy | 1337 comments Julesy's tracking post.

Updated: Feb. 28th
Progress: 4/5

Luck Be a Lady by Gemma Halliday

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day — Read a book with an animal on the cover.

Cupid's Curse by Kathi Daley

Pumpkins in Paradise by Kathi Daley

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title.

Mayhem in High Heels by Gemma Halliday

message 23: by LuAnn (new)

LuAnn (luannbraley) | 31 comments 1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!).

Progress: 0/5

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber (arboan) | 113 comments 1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!).

message 25: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2015 12:19AM) (new)

(2 / 5)

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day: Romeow and Juliet by Kathi Daley

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day: Pies & Peril by Janel Gradowski (02/16/2015 - )

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day

Romeow and Juliet (Whales and Tails Mystery, #1) by Kathi Daley Pies & Peril (A Culinary Competition Mystery) by Janel Gradowski

message 26: by Charity (last edited Feb 28, 2015 07:30PM) (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) I am going to try for all 5.

Progress: 5/5

1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!). The Heart is a Lonely Hunter 2/8/15

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day — Read a book with an animal on the cover. The Golden Compass 2/10/15

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day — Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red. Animal Farm 2/28/15

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort. Daughter of Smoke & Bone 2/25/15

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title. The Subtle Knife 2/12/15

message 27: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Charity wrote: "I am going to try for all 5.

Progress: 3/5

1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!). The Heart is a Lonely Hunter 2..."

Good choice in your "heart" book -- loved that one!

message 28: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I'm reading my final book for the February challenges, so figured I might as well go ahead and list them.

Heart of a Warrior by Johanna Lindsey

A Passage To India by E.M. Forster (elephants)

Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now by Maya Angelou

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at a carnival, fair or festival of some sort.
Wicked Weaves by Joyce Lavene and Jim Lavene

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover.
The House of Hades by Rick Riordan (Sword)

Heart of a Warrior (Ly-San-Ter, #3) by Johanna Lindsey A Passage To India by E.M. Forster Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now by Maya Angelou Wicked Weaves (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #1) by Joyce Lavene The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4) by Rick Riordan

message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7471 comments February flew by! Finished up just in time for March. Congrats to everyone else who is finishing up!

American Heart Month — Truly, Madly 2/16/15

Groundhog Day and Love Your Pet Day — Love You Madly 2/3/15

Valentine’s Day — Spider's Web 2/25/15

Ferris Wheel Day, Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year — Stiffs and Swine 2/19/15

Pistol Patent Day — Snow Place to Die 2/9/15

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine #1) by Heather Webber Love You Madly (Daytime Mystery, #3) by Linda Palmer Spider's Web by Agatha Christie Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4) by J.B. Stanley Snow Place to Die (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #13) by Mary Daheim

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats Heather and Linda! And to everyone else who has finished :)

message 31: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrats, Linda!
Thanks, Leslie! ☺

message 32: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Linda! Congrats, Heather!

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I won't have time to read another mystery by tomorrow night, so here is my progress -- only 4 finished this month.

1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!). Deadly Valentine (done 2/7)

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day — Read a book with an animal on the cover. Appleby's End (done 2/24)

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day — Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red. - Nightmare in Pink (done 2/15)

✖4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort.

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title. -- Why Shoot a Butler? (done 2/4)

Deadly Valentine by Jenna Harte , , Nightmare in Pink (Travis McGee, #2) by John D. MacDonald , Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer

message 34: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Good job, Leslie!

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Wasn't sure I was gonna finish this one, but got it done just in time! :) Good job everyone!

February 2015 Mini Challenge
5/5

1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!) - Ireland Rose by Patricia Strefling by Patricia Strefling 2/21/15

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day — Read a book with an animal on the cover - Bubba and the Missing Woman (Bubba Snoddy, #3) by C.L. Bevill by C.L. Bevill 2/8/15

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day — Read a book whose cover is predominately pink or red - I Think I Love You by Stephanie Bond by Stephanie Bond 2/25/15

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month — Read a book that takes place at (or has a scene set at) a carnival, fair or festival of some sort - Bubba and the Mysterious Murder Note (Bubba Snoddy, #4) by C.L. Bevill by C.L. Bevill 2/15/15

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day — Read a book that has some sort of weapon on the cover, or in the title - Bangkok Burn by Simon Royle by Simon Royle 2/27/15

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Thanks Heather!

Congrats Kimberly!

message 37: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Way to go, Kimberly!

message 38: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Leslie! Congrats, Kimberly!

message 39: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) Updated message 26. Last day of the month but I completed my challenge.

message 40: by Julesy (last edited Feb 28, 2015 07:58PM) (new)

Julesy | 1337 comments Finished my last book on the last day of the month as well!

Progress: 5/5

Luck Be a Lady by Gemma Halliday

Killing Cupid by Laura Levine

Cupid's Curse by Kathi Daley

Pumpkins in Paradise by Kathi Daley

Mayhem in High Heels by Gemma Halliday

message 41: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrsts, Charity and Julesy!

message 42: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Just over the clock, although I haven't updated before:

(Done)

1. February is American Heart Month: Bless Her Dead Little Heart by Miranda James (02/23/2015 - ★★★★)

2. February 2 is Groundhog Day and February 20 Love Your Pet Day: Romeow and Juliet by Kathi Daley (02/05/2015 - ★★★★)

3. February 14 is Valentine’s Day: Pies & Peril by Janel Gradowski (02/16/2015 - ★★★)

4. February 14 is Ferris Wheel Day, February 26 is Carnival Day, and Chinese New Year is also this month
: A Killing in Antiques by Mary Moody (02/20/2015 - ★★★★)

5. February 25 is Pistol Patent Day: Death by Inferior Design by Leslie Caine (02/28/2015 - ★★★)

Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Sisters, #1) by Miranda James Romeow and Juliet (Whales and Tails Mystery, #1) by Kathi Daley Pies & Peril (A Culinary Competition Mystery) by Janel Gradowski A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1) by Mary Moody Death by Inferior Design by Leslie Caine

message 43: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1337 comments Great job to everyone who finished the challenge in a short month! Thank goodness we have 3 extra days in March. lol

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats Charity, Julesy, and Marisa!

message 45: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments Finished yesterday!

American Heart Month Christmas at the Gingerbread Cafe by Rebecca Raisin

Groundhog Day and Love Your Pet Day Final Sentence by Daryl Wood Gerber

Valentine's Day Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

Ferris Wheel Day, Carnival Day,Chinese New Year Shadows at the Fair by Lea Wait

Pistol Patent Day Norway to Hide by Maddy Hunter

Christmas at the Gingerbread Cafe (The Gingerbread Cafe, #1) by Rebecca Raisin Final Sentence (Cookbook Nook Mystery #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber Cotillion by Georgette Heyer Shadows at the Fair (Antique Print, #1) by Lea Wait Norway to Hide (Passport to Peril, #6) by Maddy Hunter

message 46: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Donna!

message 47: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Thank you, Leslie. And yes, Julesy, thank you for a few days more.

message 48: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrats, Marisa and Donna!

message 49: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats Donna!

message 50: by Dotty (new)

Dotty (dotkel50) | 120 comments 1. February is American Heart Month — Read a book with a heart on the cover or in the title (logos count!).
Ghost of a Gamble Ghost of a Gamble by Sue Ann Jaffarian - 02/21

Pecan Pies and Homicides Pecan Pies and Homicides (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #3) by Ellery Adams - 02/18

Duck the Halls Duck the Halls (Meg Langslow, #16) by Donna Andrews - 02/26

Treacherous Toys Treacherous Toys by Joyce Lavene - 02/24

Blast from the Past Blast from the Past (Mac Farady Mystery #4) by Lauren Carr - 02/23

« previous 1