Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Challenge Archives > Yearly Movies and other Genres

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
This is a challenge for all of 2015, to read books that are out of your normal comfort zone genres and/or books that have been made into movies. You can include already read books from the month of January.

What is out of your normal genre? Well it is what you read most and are going to pick first. For me it is Paranormal Romance PNR, Urban Fantasy UF, Fantasy erotica (including scifi erotica), and historical romance. My PNR and UF comfort zones and norm does NOT include the Young Adult of these genre. YA is a genre that I have to push myself to read.

Books to Movies, why include books to movies? Well every year I have this thought of reading a bunch of the books that were made into movies. Sadly it doesn't happen. So this is a sort of resolution to read more, not more quantity of books, but broader types.

Anyone up to joining me? First post how many books and what level. Then Post below what you are planning on reading or have read.

6 books is beginner level
12 beginning intermediate
18 intermediate
24 way to go!
30 devoted
36 extreme

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2015 04:41AM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
i will start at 6 and go from there.

Edit: I'm doing books to movies!
i don't know if i'm doing it correctly but i'll try!
also can this crossover with the a to z 2105 challenge?

message 3: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

For some reason, reading books that have become movies is really hard for me after the fact. I've read quite a few before they made the movies, but after they make a movie, I just don't have the push as I feel like watching the movie. :-) Still for all those books I read before the movie, I think I've always liked the book more or as much. So every year I say I'm going to read new book (not re-reads) of book made to movies but I just don't get to them. I think the Book to movies part I'm going to say 6 books and the out of genre all try for 1 a month so 12.

So in for 18.

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i have found a few movies i have watched and not read the books(sometimes i didn't know it was based on a book!)
so i think it would be easy for me to do. so easy that i may need to adjust the number I'm in for.

message 5: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
There are a few book I have read that were made into movies and a few movies that were made out of books I want to read. I cannot watch the movie before I read the book, or I will never read the book.

I will update my choice as I go, no committment yet.

message 6: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2015 02:53PM) (new)

So finished one ... out of genre
How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown
Really, really good read. I recommend it as it is a fun read, along with learning history and politics of the Astonomy field.

message 7: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I should have 3 finished by the end of this month if I'm going to get this done, yet, only the one so far. I've just been so pulled the last month to my TBR lists.

message 8: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Finished a second
The Black Count Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss
Father of Alexandre Dumas the writer of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas , The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas , and The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3) by Alexandre Dumas , along with others. Many of his situations are based on his father's very real life, an aristocrat, a count, a son of a black slave of Haiti, who joins the army as a low soldier and worked his way up to commanding over 53,000 soldiers as a General in his mothers name, Dumas.

Lots of history mixed with the very interesting story of his life. The history goes to bogging down every once in a while, but mostly is very interesting in itself.

message 9: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Books i'm reading
Divergent & Insurgent
haven't read them yet nor have i seen the films.
The Hunger Games TrilogyThe Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset(got the trilogy for christmas). i have read the first(i'll make it a re read) but i haven't read the rest. yet i have seen the first movie.
and the The Hobbit.
there is my 6 i'll be reading at some point(preferably soon).

message 10: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

My friend's teenage daughter loved the Divergent series. I haven't talked myself into them yet. Almost did once.

I think I'm adding
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs of Tarazan fame.
The movie "John Carter" flopped at the box office but I actually kind of liked it.

message 11: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Information Doesn't Want to Be Free Laws for the Internet Age by Cory Doctorow Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age by Cory Doctorow

Very interesting on the points of new technology and how the system has to change because it is harmful how they are trying to control it.

message 12: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Nov 18, 2015 05:09PM) (new)

OK, got another non-fiction book read for the challenge. I've really enjoyed the non-fiction. I haven't yet finished a book to movie book.

So farWhy is the Penis Shaped Like That? and Other Reflections on Being Human
Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age
The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo
How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming

Why is the Penis Shaped Like That? And Other Reflections on Being Human by Jesse Bering Information Doesn't Want to Be Free Laws for the Internet Age by Cory Doctorow The Black Count Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown My Dyslexia by Philip Schultz Making Faces by Amy Harmon Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs The Meaning Of It All by Richard Feynman

Added My Dyslexia September 12 and so far was the least enjoyed though it was good too. I'm finding the non-fict to be quite good. I just don't turn to it first. I'm way behind on my count. I think I'm going to have to put it in a October reading plan for myself.

As of September 12th, I have 5 of 18 read!

message 13: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Both a movie and non-fiction
Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Interesting but not compelling to come back to. So far 1/2 way through I thinking it is going for a 3 though it might be 4 stars.

message 14: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Nov 18, 2015 05:10PM) (new)

So a book made on the lectures given by Feynman in 1963, there is definitely something lacking in the lecture notes to book to audio, in the non-verbal communication and the inflections, which were in the original lectures. Still big fans of Feynman will enjoy a little more of him and probably will be able to imagine what is missing.
The Meaning Of It All Thoughts Of A Citizen-scientist by Richard Feynman

I'm changing my goal from 18 to 12. I might be able to get another 4 in.