10 Minute Novelists discussion

Best Book This Week > Best Book This Week 1/26/15

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally Bishop (allybishop) | 11 comments Mod
So what ya reading this week? I'm working on Starting from Lost by S.K. Wills, and trying to get some of my own writing done, which means I read less.

What's up with you?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Senhaji (jennifersenhaji) | 1 comments I am reading Fuel by Ashlynn Pearce. My favorite time to read is during my commute. Luckily I don't drive. I take the train, which gives me an extra minutes each way.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments I'm currently reading a book that I'm not really enjoying, but It's only 100 pages, but because I don't like it - it's taking me forever to read. I mean I want to finish writing it because it was given to me in a giveaway.. so I should read it, but at the moment I'm not reading anything great since last year. As soon as I read something amazing, I'll let you guys know.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (cmastfalk) | 10 comments I just started Kept by Sally Bradley. So far, so good.

message 5: by Terry (new)

Terry Houchin | 1 comments I'm reading Unspoken, by Dee Henderson. I loved her O'Malley Series and her Heroes series. I am not enjoying this one though. It is slow going. I should finish it this week.

message 6: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Sapia (eleanorparkersapia) | 2 comments I just started The Signature of All Things, by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's a long book, 607 pages, and I'm enjoying it very much!

message 7: by Ally (new)

Ally Bishop (allybishop) | 11 comments Mod
Alex wrote: "I'm currently reading a book that I'm not really enjoying, but It's only 100 pages, but because I don't like it - it's taking me forever to read. I mean I want to finish writing it because it was g..."

I stand behind abandoning a book! :) But you'll have to let us know if it gets any better.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica White | 3 comments I abandon books after 5 chapters. If I can't get into it, then obviously I'm not going to enjoy it. A few things that have made me stop:

1. Jumping around in time. It's one thing to go back forth between two timelines, it is another to jump back and forth through someone's personal timeline. It's frustrating trying to mentally align all the events.

2. Generic or no plot. Man likes woman but can't get her attention or vs. Can I at least get unique characters or a unique setting...something?

3. All the characters sound and act the same. I started a book once where everyone was excited about this town event. They all talked like bubbly chatty women, even the men. I felt like I was reading something a middle schooler wrote.

Some things just shouldn't be published.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex | 7 comments I'm really liking Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins and Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, seems very interesting so far. I'm only on page 39 on this one, but I'm liking the writing and subjective messages so far.

message 10: by Katharine (new)

Katharine | 5 comments I'm reading Cloud Atlas. This is one crazy book. I love books like this -- ones that challenge me to be a better reader, to think creatively while I read and to see what a really creative author can do. This book is an inspiration. It makes me want to try new things in my fiction.

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail Gauthier Still slogging through Rin Tin Tin. I like the microhistory aspect, using society's embracing Rin Tin Tin over the decades as a way to discuss our evolving relationship with pets. But there's a lot of material that doesn't connect well.