You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > February 2015 Challenge - Spelling Bee

Comments Showing 1-50 of 187 (187 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2015 07:47AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Read a book whose author's last name begins with a letter found in FEBRUARY.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Serial Killer Challenge.
4. The book must be read between February 1 to February 28 (based on your own time zone).
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
6. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

Note: If an author has more than one last name (Francis Hodgson Burnett), we will go with the last name (Burnett) unless the two last names are hyphenated. Names with prefixes like Van Dyke and de Mille will be considered as the name. So, Van Dyke would be considered V, and de Mille would be D.

Note: If there is more than one author, we will go with the first one listed. Anthologies will have the editor listed first.

Scoring Score all that apply:

TITLE :
5 pts - Is one word and starts with one of letters in FEBRUARY (excludes a, the, an, etc)
4 pts - Contains the word FEBRUARY
3 pts - Contains the word HEART

AUTHOR :
5 pts – If the author was born in February (may have to do some research)
4 pts – If the author is from France
3 pts – If the author walks amongst us (is living).

GENRE :
5 pts - Romance
4 pts - Historical Fiction
3 pts – Paranormal Fantasy

COVER : (based on the edition you read)
5 pts – Has snow on it
4 pts – Has more than two people on it
3 pts – Has a dog on it

PAGES :

2 pts - 200-299 pages long
3 pts - 300-399 pages long
4 pts - 400-499 pages long
5 pts -500+ pages long

Bonus Points :

3 pts – In honour of Heart & Stroke month, 3 pts if there is a doctor in the story.
3 pts – In honour of Hula in the Coola Day, 3 pts if the book is set in Hawaii or a trip to Hawaii is made.
3 pts – In honour of Grapefruit Month, 3 pts if someone eats any fruit but tomatoes and anything else that doesn't fit Janice's connotation of "fruit".

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments yes! more gophering!
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Sandra wrote: "[spoilers removed]"
Lol, yes, it has

message 4: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2425 comments Love the last bonus points item! Do you not like tomatoes Janice?

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Ha! Fixed. Thanks for proof-reading it for me.

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Fun! This looks like it can be pretty lighthearted. I'm looking forward to searching my physical and digital shelves.

message 7: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 1020 comments Interesting already starting to hunt

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Lilisa wrote: "Love the last bonus points item! Do you not like tomatoes Janice?"

I used to hate them when I was a kid, but have grown to like them. It's just that I think of them more as a vegetable although they are technically a fruit. I was just anticipating any questions about whether or not they're included in the bonus question. They're not. :)

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments ... oh I am resisting the devil's advocate role...

message 10: by Kazen (new)

Kazen ~hunts for a historical romance with paranormal elements~

message 11: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2425 comments Janice wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Love the last bonus points item! Do you not like tomatoes Janice?"

I used to hate them when I was a kid, but have grown to like them. It's just that I think of them more as a veget..."

I don't care what "they" say - I think of tomatoes as a vegetable and love them whether to cook with or in salads.

message 12: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2425 comments Rusalka wrote: "... oh I am resisting the devil's advocate role..."

Haha Rusalka - still resisting?

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Rusalka wrote: "... oh I am resisting the devil's advocate role..."

photo keep-calm-we-are-the-borg-resistance-is-futile_zpsvto6yhsy.png

message 14: by Berit (new)

Berit | 641 comments I'll join you guys for this one! May get my points wrong first time I try to figure it out, but I will learn :-)

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Wow that was hard trying to find a shortish book which wasn't part of a series for this one! I've whittled it down to three books - Dark Eden, Time and Time Again and The Water Knife. The last two I need to write reviews for as I got them from netgalley so I think I probably should read one of those. The latter sounds good and I really liked the author's other book The Windup Girl.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments My first option is "Fried Green Tomatoes an the Whistle Stop Cafe", Janice. I'm not kidding!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Great challenge! I'm off to gopher.

message 18: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Sarah wrote: "Wow that was hard trying to find a shortish book which wasn't part of a series for this one! I've whittled it down to three books - Dark Eden, Time and Time Again an..."

Ooo I didn't know Paolo Bacigalupi had a new book coming out!

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Rusalka wrote: "Ooo I didn't know Paolo Bacigalupi had a new book coming out! "

Nor did I until I saw it listed on Netgalley so I thought I'd snap it up. Sounds like it will be another interesting, realistic (and therefore scary) read like Windup Girl was. It's out sometime this year. I am definitely swaying towards this one for this challenge. Will let you know what I think.

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Sandra wrote: "My first option is "Fried Green Tomatoes an the Whistle Stop Cafe", Janice. I'm not kidding!"

Hah!

message 21: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Lilisa wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "... oh I am resisting the devil's advocate role..."

Haha Rusalka - still resisting?"

lol.
Okay. By popular demand.
Do strawberries count? As they are not technically fruit. Their seeds are on the outside and are described as ovaries.
And so all nightshades out? Coz I'm guessing if tomatoes are out, then eggplants and capiciums are too.

IT'S OKAY, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments *ducks and covers*

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have got it down to two books, Rubbernecker and The Paris Architect. Not sure which one to go for as they both sound really good.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9411 comments lol!

message 25: by Lanelle (last edited Jan 27, 2015 06:51AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments I can't decide between Georgette Heyer's Frederica or The Foundling. I've read Frederica before, and I would love to read it again. I haven't read The Foundling yet and it sounds like a delightful book. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks to Mariab's timely intervention, I am on the right track. I'm now thinking of reading Fairchild by Jaima Fixsen, Fable by Lisa Fender or The Loyal Heart by Merry Farmer. More decisions. *sigh*

message 26: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments @Lanelle. Does Georgette Heyer's pass the criteria about last name's first letter?

message 27: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2425 comments Rusalka wrote: "*ducks and covers*"

Too funny :-) ducks and that Australian saying about low-flying ones?!!!

message 28: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3109 comments Mariab wrote: "@Lanelle. Does Georgette Heyer's pass the criteria about last name's first letter?"

Ah. I missed that. Thanks for making me take a second look at the rules. Back to gophering.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Berit wrote: "I'll join you guys for this one! May get my points wrong first time I try to figure it out, but I will learn :-)"

I'm glad you're going to join us Berit. We'll help you figure out your points. Take a gander through this folder and look at previous reporting threads to get a feel of how the scoring works.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Sandra wrote: "My first option is "Fried Green Tomatoes an the Whistle Stop Cafe", Janice. I'm not kidding!"

Ha! That's funny.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Rusalka wrote: "Okay. By popular demand.
Do strawberries count? As they are not technical..."

Hush you!

If it's sweet - count it. If it's savoury - spit it out.

message 32: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments @Lanelle. No thanks needed. I have hoped Georgette has a second last name, which start with te right letter

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Looks like Lanelle was looking at title and not author, perhaps.

message 34: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I will advocate for avocado. It is not sweet or salty...

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Sorry, Mariab. That's a big no to avocado.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments I've changed the wording in the challenge description:

3 pts – In honour of Grapefruit Month, 3 pts if someone eats any fruit but tomatoes and anything else that doesn't fit Janice's connotation of "fruit".

In other words, you're going to need a ruling if you can't read my mind. Only ask for a ruling on books that you are actually considering on reading, and one that is in your short-list of choices.

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I have about 5 books with a b author an a author and 1 more. Ends up 7-8 books to choose. I seem to like m authors. Got about 100 of those

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 297 comments Found a great book to win some bonus points, but my library doesn't carry it!
Heartbreak by Craig Raine

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments Of the 64 books on my really-really-want-to-read shelf, 17 fit the challenge. I think I own most of them, so I'm going to have difficulties choosing!

message 40: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Kazen wrote: "~hunts for a historical romance with paranormal elements~"

Kazen, try Amanda Quick.

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Melissa wrote: "Found a great book to win some bonus points, but my library doesn't carry it!
Heartbreak by Craig Raine"

I bet the library here does ;-)

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 297 comments You're welcome Steph ;)

message 43: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:37AM) (new)

Stephanie Melissa wrote: "You're welcome Steph ;)"

Haha, thanks but I just looked, and they don't :-(
That's what I get for talking smack :-)

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 297 comments Stephanie wrote: "Melissa wrote: "You're welcome Steph ;)"

Haha, thanks but I just looked, and they don't :-(
That's what I get for talking smack :-)"

Remember that for next time bwahaha

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 297 comments I think I'll just end up reading a Bohjalian book...

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48689 comments Sounds like some of you will need the fruit machine!

I thinking Seed by Ania Ahlborn could be my choice, and it could fit the Toppler. Double dipping! Thankfully, it is not a series book.

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Sorry Janice. It was just too amusing. Love your clarification. I should start adding those in two. You are expected to be just as silly to my MArch challenge

message 48: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Urgh *too

message 49: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1991 comments Janice wrote: "I thinking Seed by Ania Ahlborn could be my choice, and it could fit the Toppler. Double dipping! Thankful..."

I'll be interested to see what you think of it, I have it in my TBR list as well. I think both Sarah and Connie have read it and rated it highly. I think I would like to read a book that is genuinely scary; not so easy to find such a book nowadays.

message 50: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1991 comments I'm thinking of going with Dark Eden; to my surprise I did not have that many books with suitable authors at the moment. It's a series book but with only two books published I cannot use it for the series challenge.

« previous 1 3 4