Simply Salinger discussion

Writing Sprints

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cosmic (new)

Cosmic Arcata | 9 comments Mod
I was thinking that it might be fun to have writing sprints where we would use in idiom or phrase from the The Catcher in the Rye to start it out.

message 2: by Cosmic (last edited Jan 30, 2015 01:07PM) (new)

How about the idiom:
"Life is a game, that you have to play according to the rules."

Write for 15 minutes and post.

message 3: by Cosmic (new)

I had always heard that life was a game. I had watched a lot of games on TV. Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, Let's Make a Deal, even Hollywood Squares and the Dating Game. Seems like the rules were always made to favor the house. There were always winners and loswers. So who made the rules?

I just got out of college last year. I have been living at home, which hasn't been easy let me tell you. It seems they want to resume where they left off and I want to resume where I had begun, exerting my own independence. I sure wish I could get a job. It wasn't my fault that after I was already three years into a Finance degree and destined to be a banker or a mutual fund manager that the market would crash. I had to scramble to work myself into a master's program that was relevant to both the economy and what time I had already punched in. Great now I can teach finace at a university level only I can't Convince anyone that even this is relevant.

Oh did I tell you that my parents morgaged their house so I could now have this worthless degree. No wonder they think they own me.

No it is not worthless, I am just caught in a bubble. I played according to the rules and now I am trapped on the wrong side of the game. Trapped in the game of debt.

message 4: by Layne (new)

Layne Broadwater (laynebroadwater) | 2 comments Cosmic wrote: "I had always heard that life was a game. I had watched a lot of games on TV. Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, Let's Make a Deal, even Hollywood Squares and the Dating Game. Seems like the rule..."

I know this was a long time ago, now, but I love this.