Staunton Public Library discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Authors > Harry Potter Book Night

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments For some reason philosopher's stone wasn't coming up...hmmm.

Anyhoo, thought I would create a thread specifically for HP Book Night!

We have a TAB meeting on Monday, February 2nd at 4pm. Hopefully then we can go over any last minute plans. The event starts at 6pm on Thursday, February 5th. I will be at the library from 3pm on, so whenever you all want to come in will be fine!

The library has a Sorting Hat that was down in the programmer's office. Sue M. (former PR person and TAB leader during the early 2000s) made it, and it does have a place for a microphone to go if Henry REALLY wants to shout out House names. My vote is to just have them wear the hat but draw a random sticker. Whichever sticker you draw will be your team for the night. I know some people may come wanting to be a certain House but if they don't draw what they want, they can always trade with someone. Having a set number of stickers printed will make this easier to keep even teams.

For crafts, we will have the houses decorate their own banners, and a station where you can make your own wand (out of pencils and/or sticks most likely). AnnaBelle, can you help lead that activity? We can always switch around throughout the night.

Some games and activities are:
• Diagon Alley hunt (scavenger hunt with various things hidden around the room; ongoing)
• Wizard Quick Draw Challenge (Pictionary with HP themed things to draw; set time, maybe 6:30)
• Harry Potter Trivia Challenge (set time, maybe 7:00)
• Some worksheets to hand out/complete at leisure, such as a Word Search and an Anagram sheet (ongoing)

I'm asking Diana's theater group to do a dramatic reading of one of the chapters. Below are some options
o Chapter 3, The Letters from No One
o Chapter 5, Ollivanders Wand Shop
o Chapter 6, Platform Nine and Three-Quarters
o Chapter 7, The Sorting Hat
o Chapter 10, The Troll (…my personal favorite, especially if someone wears a turban and faints after shouting “TROLL! IN THE DUNGEON! …thought you should know")

Just wanted to get a few things out here so we can get the ball rolling on ideas. Thanks AnnaBelle for coming up with a list of possible supplies and layout of the meeting room.

I work Thursday (3-9), Friday (1-5), and Saturday (9-5) this week so if you have any questions/ideas, feel free to stop by and say hello! Thanks!

message 2: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Notes:
Chapter 10 sounds like a good choice...I'll read those chapters again see which one would be the best to be scene acted out. What time will they be doing this? Do we have time for more than one skit?

I can show an example for the wands though I probably dont want to be at that station for long...maybe if I just show everyone how to make one and check that station every once in a while to see if any one needs help?

If Henry wants to shout out names, but we still want to do the stickers we could have the person draw a sticker,and if they want to they could put the hat on and Henry could shout it out.

Maybe we could make a golden stitch for the scavenger hunt and have people find it, and then hide it again? We could maybe give like 10 or 100 points to the team that finds it.

Do we want to decorate the banners beforehand, like put a lion on the Gryffindor banner and snake on the Slytherin banner and let them do the rest?

Should we come early to help set things up?

Will we be having refreshments during the event and if so do we want them Harry Potter themed? Like we could do Pumpkin Juice or something like that.

@ Kayla- Might come to the library on Thursday for an hour...If so can you save some books for me to put away? :)

Audrey Lihos (audrey_grace) | 9 comments I am with you on the hat and skit ideas. If we are having refreshments I found some good ideas that we can look over at TAB
http://www.literatureyoungadultfictio...
If we need to prepare anything Me and anna would love to help.
I think an outline for the animals is a good idea.

message 4: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments Thanks for the great suggestions! I definitely like the golden snitch idea as part of the scavenger hunt. The idea kit gave a list of things to hide and if the snitch isn't on there, I can add it as a super special find.

Refreshments would be great, and I like the suggestions on the link Audrey shared. Some of the people from Diana's group may be helping with those, but if not we can easily bake the cauldron cakes beforehand. Butterbeer seems simple enough so we should go with that.

I was thinking of getting poster boards for the banners. Drawing an outline for the animals is a good idea. I'm not the best artist, so are there any volunteers to do that part? I will try and get the boards this weekend and bring them (and printed out crests to use as examples) to our TAB meeting on Monday.

I will try and have someone save a cart of YA for you for Thursday, Anna!

message 5: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Thanks Kayla :)
I can draw an outline for the animals if no one else wants to.

message 6: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Sorry that I cant make it but something popped up and interfered with my schedule. @ Kayla

message 7: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Kayla, do you think you could leave stuff at the library and we could work on it even though you aren't there? That way we could work on other stuff when we come to set up.

message 8: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments I finished the Gryffindor and Slytherin banners, as well as the envelopes. I'm not sure what else we can do until then? I'm buying supplies tomorrow (Wednesday) after the library staff meeting. We won't be able to decorate or set anything up in the room until Thursday.

message 9: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Notes:
If we are doing the snitch than we need to make that. Also the snacks need to be made or bought but probably not until day of. Did you put string through the envelopes? We also need the quizzes, crosswords and stuff printed off though that can also wait until day of... we need more Harry Potter stuff because when we do the scavenger hunt we dont want everything in plain sight.If you find any Harry Potter books for sale we could use them as prizes...

message 10: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments I put the string through the envelopes and I made one copy of each of the worksheets. I'm making treacle fudge now. I'll have to take a look at the scavenger hunt pieces and see if that's something we still want to do in such a small space. I do like the Snitch idea because that is something we can hide and have that be a reward in House Points.

message 11: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments What kind of wings do we want for the snitch? If we want cardboard or poster board wings then I can make them and bring them around 4 on Thursday. Of course there still needs to be the body of the snitch. Maybe a large marble? a really small ball? What size to we want the snitch?

message 12: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Maybe the scavenger hunt could be a all day long event? So we would hide stuff all around the library,and if you found one, you could take it to a librarian, who would write down that persons name, and then that person would hide it some where else and when the Harry Potter event started I could go around to all the librarians and collect the slips with the names on them and if someone who had signed in had that same name then we would give then 5 points for each item they found?

message 13: by Kayla, The overseeer (last edited Feb 03, 2015 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments I like cardboard or poster board for the wings. I can see about getting a golf ball for the snitch and we can wrap it in yellow/gold paper.

Since I won't be there until 3 on Thursday I hesitate to have the scavenger hunt be everywhere all day. The event is listed to start at 6 so people probably will not expect there to be things earlier than that, plus I don't trust other people not attending the event to leave things where they find them.

Wizard coins, Daily Prophet Newspaper, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (book), Hedwig, a wand, The Philosopher’s Stone, A broomstick

Most of these are easy to come up with. Tomorrow I will ask about paint, maybe we can paint a stone red for the Sorcerer's Stone? And we can cover a notebook with paper and write "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" on it. The library doesn't have any copies of the book (though I will request we purchase them since they're making a trilogy of movies based on it!

I found some other fun activities we could do that I forgot to mention:

PETRIFIED POTTERS
A version of musical chairs/stone lions, where the guests have to
freeze when the music stops as if Petrified by Hermione’s
‘Petrificus Totalus’ spell.
Instead of dancing to the music, you could get your players to
duel with their wands while the music is playing.
When it stops, players who move in the ‘frozen’ moments are out.
Wave your wand to ‘unfreeze’ guests as you restart the music for the next round.
The winner is the last ‘frozen’ guest and receives 20 house points for their house.

WHO AM I?
Write the names of different characters from Harry Potter on Post-it notes.
Use our WHO’S WHO on page 11 of this kit as a starting point and follow the
link there for more character names.
Without letting them see the name, stick a Post-it note on each child
(either their forehead or on their back).
They must then ask yes or no
questions to work out who they are.
(‘Am I a wizard?’ / ‘Am I a Muggle?’
/ ‘Am I in Slytherin?’ / ‘Am I a
Hogwarts teacher?’ etc.)
Every child who successfully
guesses their character
receives 10 house points
for their house.

The "Who am I?" game could be handed out when people sign in and get sorted.

message 14: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments True. I'll make the wings, and you can use my wand for the search because otherwise someone will just make a wand and say "I found one!". We could call it one of the teachers wands or something. I also have a tiny kids broom, that is just a broom that is kids size, it still works as a broom, and that would be easier to hide. If we did the petrified potters than we would need Harry Potter music. Does the Library have any that we could use that night? The who am I game sound fun but if we have to many people it could drag on. How about at 6:15 if there are not a lot of people we play that game and if there are a lot of people we just skip that game and move on? Unless we have enough time, if we have enough time it doesn't mater how many people there are.

message 15: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments I made cardboard wings, but since they are cardboard they aren't very detailed. I'll make paperboard wings tomorrow and bring both types of wings to the library so we can see which type works better.

message 16: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments I just realized that I'm not sure what type of wings a golden snitch has.I'll bring the supply's to make them with me that way we can be sure what type of wing we want and that it is the right size.

message 17: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments Thanks! So here is my final list of things to buy tomorrow morning (couldn't get over to Walmart today):

White balloons
Chocolate coins
Jelly beans
Chocolate cupcake mix
Green frosting
Black licorice
Twizzlers
Cream soda
Whipped cream
Butterscotch syrup
Golf ball or ping pong ball (thought maybe we could ball up yellow paper to make the body of the snitch? Just a thought)
Duct tape/painter's tape

Anything else to add? I may try and see if Kroger has some chocolate frogs we could give to the "fashion show" winners

message 18: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments If we use painters tape you could also use sharpies on top to decorate, but that is optional.

message 19: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments If we are doing the Who am I game we probably need more post it notes

message 20: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments Thanks for the tip about painter's tape! I'll go for that instead. The more I think about it, the Who Am I game might be a little much. Don't want to overwhelm people too much with things when the come in.

See you at 4! Thanks for coming in early to help

message 21: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments The Grace Christian library is having a half day today so I asked to work there early. If I finish early I might even be able to make it at 3!

The Who am I game is still a good idea if we have extra time after the event. I know we are still doing the golden snitch but are we still doing the scavenger hunt?

message 22: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments At this point I think we might just have the Snitch as something to find. I'm not sure how many people to expect so I think having a bunch of things to find might make it hard for us to keep track of who has found which items.

I'm hoping the person running trivia is just going to call out questions and maybe each of the four Houses can work together to write down their answers. That's how team trivia nights work at some restaurants that I've attended. Between that, pictionary, and the musical chairs bit, I think we should be set.

Just searched the catalog and it's showing that the library has the Sorcerer's Stone movie soundtrack downstairs on the children's floor. We can check that out this afternoon and play it in a CD player.

message 23: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Nice! Ok so how should the wings look? In the movie it looks sort of like a dragonfly with long, thin, floppy wings but we could always do something different.And if we want the houses to write down there answers then we need scrap paper or note cards. I can bring a couple note cards if needed.

message 24: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments The event was great! I didn't think there would be so many kids! The food and drink were gone in about 5 mins! We should do another one after the first movie in preparation for the second movie on Fantastical beasts and where to find them.(That's what its called right?)

message 25: by Kayla, The overseeer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments Yes that is a great idea! I had so many people ask me "when is the next one going to be?" One parent said she was surprised that we were able to keep the kids occupied for two hours. Overall I counted about 55 people at one point, and 50 people signed in.

message 26: by Riven, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 05, 2015 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Wow! That's a lot of people! At the beginning when I saw how many chairs there were i thought that there was to many. But during the play when every one was siting down a lot of people had to sit on the floor. The only thing we should change next time is we should have access to the board room. That way we have more room for the activity's and the scavenger hunt.

message 27: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments One way I found to make wands is to have chopsticks, construction paper and glue.
Just cover the construction paper with glue and place the chopstick on one corner then roll it, then once it dries you just cut the edges off and decorate with whatever you have on hand.
Seems really easy and we could bring any left over chopsticks to Anime club I guess.
And if we can't find chopsticks we can just find some other kind of sticks.