Staunton Public Library discussion

group > New Catalog

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla, The overseeer (last edited Jan 26, 2015 03:31PM) (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments The library is going to be launching an updated version of the online catalog soon. You can access it at:

http://www.valleylibraries.org:8080

If you have time, play around with the new set up and let me know what you think! I've noticed that not all of the books seem to be showing up when I search, but the software was just installed yesterday (Sunday the 25th) so all of the records may still be loading into the new catalog.

message 2: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments It's so colorful...and you can rate the books...and the hold and list buttons are so easy to see now...this is so weird. It's good! But so strange compared to the old one...

message 3: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments When will this be launched?

message 4: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments Not sure right now when it will be launched. We are working with Augusta County and Waynesboro to figure out a schedule for updating the reels or whatever they're called. The topics you can scroll through; earlier it was Valentines Day and Dogs, right now I think it's Abe Lincoln, etc.

I hope it will be launched by the beginning of March at least. If you have any questions, comments, or issues with it, let me know! It is very different from the old one but more forgiving with the searches. I love the refining options on the left side of the screen, too.

message 5: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments The searches are better but I cant figure out how to search for a series yet. I searched "Angel's Command" and it came up with a lot of options, which is better then the previous catalog, but then I searched for "The castaways of the Flying Dutchman", and nothing came up. That happened in the old catalog too.
(Angel's Command is the second book in the Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series)

message 6: by Kayla, The overseeer (new)

Kayla (kaylawhata) | 55 comments The main search bar does a keyword search, so when I searched both "the castaways of the flying dutchman" and "castaways of the flying dutchman", I found the books in that series. That is because the keyword search looks at everything in the catalog record (or MARC fields), including title, author, and descriptions.

If you do and advanced search and search for it as a series, it does not come up because we do not have the series name in the 490 field of the record. Some books in the catalog are searchable by series, others do not have that information listed within the record.

I took a cataloging class last spring so this is a good refresher for me! If you ever want to know what goes into the record, click on the "MARC record" link underneath checkouts/holds in the new catalog. The MARC view option was in the old one, too, but most people don't know what it is or don't think of looking at it.

message 7: by Riven, Co-Moderator (new)

Riven (ravenismaven) | 63 comments Thanks for the info!