Kannapolis Paranormal Booksuckers discussion

Book Club Discussions > February 2015: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (chey1) | 652 comments Mod
In her New York Times bestselling and Morris Award-winning debut, Rachel Hartman introduces mathematical dragons in an alternative-medieval world to fantasy and science-fiction readers of all ages. Eragon-author Christopher Paolini calls them, "Some of the most interesting dragons I've read in fantasy."

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.
Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman

message 2: by Jessica (new)

This book does start off a little slow. Its not until the middle of the book where Seraphina starts investigating a mysterious dragon that things start to pick up.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

I like Seraphina as a character. Normally, I love kick butt characters but Seraphina is a somewhat quieter character. I like that she is cranky, emotional and head strong she is.I like that all of the characters in this book are multi-dimensional. Glisselda is shiny and sparkly kind of girl but she is not ditsy. Lucian was witty and charming but he was not controlling or mean. When Seraphina commented on him being a bastard, he was upset but he took the time to consider why she said what she did.
I think Hartmann was really good at creating a variety of characters that work well together.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Seraphina (other topics)