UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Things that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has going for it

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments i) It's the best sovereign state on the planet.

I reckon that pretty much covers everything to be honest.

Tomorrow's topic: things to take with you on a 3k hike across the South Downs.

message 2: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments When you said 'best' sovereign state, did you mean the 'most heavily taxed'?

ii) Our lovely grey weather, especially when hiking across the South Downs in a tee-shirt.

iii) The best beer on the planet - Adnams Broadside.

iv) Errr.... that's about it.

v) Sorry, almost forgot - the world's largest collection of potholes and traffic cones.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments We do have good ale. And cheese. Good cheese.

message 4: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Agree with the ale and cheese.

What about fish and chips?

And music…

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22042 comments And fine writers in the English language :-)

message 6: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Jim wrote: "And fine writers in the English language :-)"

With proper spelling ;~)

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Music: The Stones, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Marc Bolan, Amy Winehouse, Peter Green, Eric Clapton...

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Our wit and verbal dexterity. Understanding of irony.

message 9: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Is that pig irony or cast irony?

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments And I'm from the irony age.

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "irony tablets."

Can you iron your tablets?

message 13: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments That's the irony of iron tablets; they can't be ironed.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You lot crease me up.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 185 comments Our humour! I miss the British wit and our exchange of sarcasm and banter. The Danes I work with have no clue when I'm being sarcastic and are as dry as wallpaper to talk to. I'm actually starting to suspect Scandinavians are actually Scandin-aliens.

message 16: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments It's all those bright blue eyes, blonde hair and nordic looks.
The aliens have focused on the packaging, not the content

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 185 comments Will wrote: "It's all those bright blue eyes, blonde hair and nordic looks.
The aliens have focused on the packaging, not the content"

Ha! Well put, Will.

message 18: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I do think the British have an admirable ability not to take the rest of the universe seriously, which probably has something to do with the climate and the way it is always taking the piss.

message 19: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty It's the birth place of some of most of the best authors in the world.

Beautiful country sides.

How Brits form orderly queues everywhere, even in a crisis!

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Kirsty wrote: "It's the birth place of some of most of the best authors in the world.

Beautiful country sides.

How Brits form orderly queues everywhere, even in a crisis!"

Especially in a crisis.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Stephen Fry and Brian Cox.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Stephen Fry and Brian Cox."

Are they a couple now?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I hope not! Stephen's new hubby would object, I hope!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments And Kath would as well. She's had her eye on Brian for a while...

message 25: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Both eyes, and a dribbly chin! ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Unfortunately, searching chipmunk cheeked UK scientist on Google doesn't throw his name up in the results!

Shocking.

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Good. I can have him all to myself. Oh, and Mrs Chipmunk-cheeks will want a share too, I expect. Ratbag!

message 28: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3056 comments This might be controversial but, despite all its flaws and problems, I think our NHS is fantastic, certainly better than the US system where you pay thousands for every treatment you receive.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That's the truth, Claire.

message 30: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Far from controversial Claire, I think it could make a claim to be a self evident fact

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22042 comments Indeed in 2014 there was a survey which showed that it was the best

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publi...

When you look at it, you can see it's been achieved by not throwing a lot of money at the issue either, (compared with the US)

Interesting that the 1st, 3rd and 4th achieve their ranking on the lowest expenditure
The worst, the US is massively more expensive

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments I think the problems we are currently experiencing with A&E are transitory. No cpmfort to those who have to suffer though.

I was reading a report that says that since the NHS Direct service was replaced with 101, the number of advisors, who are not qualified nurses and doctors, unlike their predecessors, are increasingly advising that the person gets an ambulance or is taken to hospital, as they cannot be triaged effectively.

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Well I've just got off the phone to my doctor's. Just want an appointment for something which, thankfully isn't urgent. I got an appointment for Feb 9th. No wonder people are thronging in A&E!

message 34: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments You see, Claire? It is pretty safe to say that Geoff and i occupy opposite ends of the political spectrum, but this is an issue on which our differences are minor

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1729 comments Kath wrote: "Both eyes, and a dribbly chin! ;)"

Snap!

message 36: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Oh, I have competition! ;)

message 37: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments vi) And the unique British ability to drift right off the subject in less than 30 messages.

message 38: by ✿Claire✿ (last edited Jan 27, 2015 11:25AM) (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3056 comments Will wrote: "Far from controversial Claire, I think it could make a claim to be a self evident fact"

Will wrote: "You see, Claire? It is pretty safe to say that Geoff and i occupy opposite ends of the political spectrum, but this is an issue on which our differences are minor"

That's good to hear. The number of people I hear complaining about it suggested it might not be so well perceived as it used to be. I think it's still fantastic, people just don't think for themselves in the same way any more.

message 39: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3056 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "I think the problems we are currently experiencing with A&E are transitory. No cpmfort to those who have to suffer though.

I was reading a report that says that since the NHS Direct service was r..."

I would agree with that, at least certainly the second part. I won't get on my soapbox about 111, I have plenty of stories about it.

Just as a little aside though Geoff, it's 111 not 101, 101 is the police non-emergency number ;). Which is actually another great service, I've used it a couple of times.

message 40: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments I work in the NHS, though thankfully I haven't been a customer since I was a child. I'm a big fan but anyone can see there's a million things need fixing. A&E isn't one of them mind, it's the way patients are handled pre A&E that's the issue. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I'm also a fan of the range of ales brewed in this country, which I'm drinking while watching the football.

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1729 comments Kath wrote: "Oh, I have competition! ;)"

A joint effort perhaps?

message 42: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "You lot crease me up."

Me too.

message 43: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Pete wrote: "vi) And the unique British ability to drift right off the subject in less than 30 messages."

On a good day we can do it in one!

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1729 comments I wish to point out that discussing Brian Cox is right on target for the subject of this thread. :) There's nowhere else in the world you'd find a Brian Cox.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Or his apples.

message 46: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Or his Granny. Mrs Smith.
Off subject? Us? ;)

message 47: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments What makes this country great? Tolerance, a sense of humour, good writing, benign (ish) climate, beer, history, eccles cakes, the welfare state, democracy, full English breakfasts.

Oh, and the fact that my wife and son live here.

What makes this country not so great? That's when we forget the good stuff, when we let personal interest get in the way of the greater good. When we insist on rights without thinking about responsibilities.

The A&E crisis? I'm afraid that is a sign of things to come. We're an increasingly ageing population which means that the welfare state is getting much more expensive year on year. Living longer means more money spent on pensions and healthcare.

And that in turn means that we either spend less on the welfare state or we pay higher taxes. That's the unavoidable truth that no politician will tell you in the next 100 days before the General Election.

Looks like we are going to need that sense of humour.

message 48: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Hire taxis? Nah mate, take the bus!

message 49: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Dounaeva (lornadounaeva) | 7 comments Chocolate and cheese. Hmm...cheese...

message 50: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments Kirsty wrote: "How Brits form orderly queues everywhere, even in a crisis!"

I see you've never caught a bus from Hammersmith :(

« previous 1 3