Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

This topic is about 1984
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Orwell, George - 1984 - Informal Buddy Read; Start: February ??, 2015

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of 1984 by George Orwell

Book Synopsis
Written in 1948, 1984 was George Orwell's chilling prophecy about the future.

While 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is more timely that ever. 1984 presents a "negative utopia", that is at once a startling and haunting vision of the world — so powerful that it's completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of entire generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions — a legacy that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Yes!

message 5: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani  (yogidani) | 181 comments I'd really like to join yll for this one. That's going to be a busy time for me, so hopefully I'll be able to.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments I might start this tomorrow (technically later today) if I manage to get through most of the book I'm currently reading.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Through Chapter 5

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

Chapter 5: (view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Oh that's no problem. I'm taking my time with this. I'll be finishing my other books before I pick this one up again. So much happens in this that I need a clear schedule.

Btw, good luck with your exams.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Only made it to chapter 7 so far. Will try to get more done tonight.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Last night I went on Sparknotes and opened up the summary of 1984, then I got distracted by Modern Family. I figured I'll give the book a try again and well, I actually want to read the full book. I don't know if I'm enjoying it but there's something about it that makes me want to know every detail and not skim through it.

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Finished.

I have no words. By the end so much was going through my mind I didn't know which way to turn. I liked it to an extent. It was good, but not my style. Maybe if I was in a different frame of mind I'd have liked it more.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

1984 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George Orwell (other topics)