Salt: Grain of Life Salt question

Salt: Grain of Life
P.J. Sullivan P.J. Jan 26, 2015 12:34PM
This author knows nothing about salt if he thinks it is a grain. A grain is alive. If you plant a grain it will sprout and grow. Salt is lifeless. It will not sprout and it will not grow. Salt is rock crystals, no more digestible than a spoonful of sand. Human beings are plant eaters, not rock eaters. Salt is indigestible to people and animals. Salt is not food, it is poison.

Please forgive my rudeness but I can't help but wondering how much you know about salt? Although I concede the point that salt is not literally a grain, I think you are purposely misunderstanding the point (although I have not read this book - I was redirected from another book, Salt: A World History). If we are going to take it so literally I would have to say that you don't appear to know anything about salt if you think it is indigestible and poisonous. I'm not sure where you learned these "facts" but as far as I was taught, salt is essential for animal life. Salts are broken down by the body into ions or electrolytes that help with many bodily functions as they are absorbed, filtered, reabsorbed and either recycled or excreted. Digestion is the breakdown of food into smaller components that are absorbed and assimilated by the body. Sounds the same to me.
As to salt being a poison, an excess consumption of salt can be harmful but I think that's the fault of the person consuming copious amounts of it and should not be blamed on the salt itself. An over-consumption of many things can be toxic; for example, you can get vitamin D poisoning but that doesn't make vitamin D a poison! Moral of the story - don't over-consume salt and you don't have to worry about "salt-poisoning".
As to your point about salt being a rock crystal, that is true, but those crystals can be dissolved in water resulting in the mineral NaCl which is digestible. Sand, on the other hand, is a collection of mostly indigestible rocks and minerals. There is at least one very common type of sand however, calcium carbonate, that is an exception and is used in many edible products like calcium supplements, antacids, toothpaste (I know you're not actually eating it but it certainly won't kill you to do so), as a food preservative, etc. You're not actually eating sand but to say that sand is indigestible is not entirely true, which leads me back to deliberately missing the point...

P.J. Sullivan Sodium and chloride from organic sources are essential for animal life, but salt is not. The difference is that salt is inorganic, hence indigestible. ...more
Jan 27, 2015 08:35PM · flag