Beta Reader Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Navi' (last edited Jan 26, 2015 01:15PM) (new)

Navi' Robins | 5 comments I'm looking for feedback on my book cover for my upcoming Romance novel Tragedy, Lust and Destiny. Thank you for your input.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu10e03tnr9...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think your design is very striking, but I'd suggest seeing what it looks like with the entire title in the font and treatment you used for the word "Destiny" Using three different fonts seems too busy.

Jim Dodds
BETA READING
EDITING
COVER DESIGN

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 143 comments I like the image, but the typography needs work. The title should all be in the same font and you lose the S on your surname.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena | 172 comments Mod
Agreed. A larger, simple font for the title might work better. And one color. The red for 'destiny' clashes with that of the rose and blood. Maybe you could use the eyedropper tool to color your font the same as the rose or blood if you want it red?

message 5: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Close (charlieclose) | 2 comments I agree with Emma. Thanks for sharing.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 33 comments I love the mask and the roses. Was confused by the bullets; I thought at first they were crayons. Agree with the others that you need to work on the typography.

message 7: by Navi' (new)

Navi' Robins | 5 comments thank you everyone for your comments I made some changes per your advice. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/TRAGED...

message 8: by Stacee (new)

Stacee Magee (staceemagee) | 14 comments Error message when clicking the new link. Only looking at the old image, I am of a differing view. I think you can use up to three different fonts providing that they are all the same color. I would loose the out lines as they are distracting.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Carnicelli (jimcarnicelli) | 71 comments I agree with most of the earlier comments, so I won't repeat them.

I would add that, although I like the overall feeling and that the elements montaged together basically work, most of them have inappropriate aspect ratios. The mask looks squished horizontally. The red rose looks squished vertically.

Arguably, the scale of each object disagrees with the scales of the other objects, too. The red rose, for instance, is the size of the mask's eye hole. The bullet casings are too small.

Also, the shadows constructed for each object don't quite agree with one another. The bullet casings don't even have significant shadows of the sort the other objects do.

The bullets and empty casings appear to be of several different kinds.

The bloody heart is a nice touch. And, overall, I do like the strongly contrasting, harsh-lit elements and how you tie them together.

message 10: by W.G. (new)

W.G. White (w_g_white) | 22 comments Personally I'd have the mask your main image, have it at less of an angle, facing the audience head on. I'd put a crack under one eye piece, and have a spot of blood spilling from that crack. The rose and the other flower could be placed behind either eye piece to resemble actual eyes, too.

I think all the elements are there, but they need rearranging to make this a cover that really stands out. Quite frankly, the title is ugly. Have plain white text, all of the same font. That's what I'd do. I'd probably arrange them so they were a lot bigger, and layered one below the next.

The idea I think is solid, but the execution could do with some work. I'd like to see your newer version, but the link isn't working I'm afraid.

message 11: by Preston (last edited Mar 02, 2015 07:14AM) (new)

Preston Orrick (prestonorrick) | 27 comments Your new link is broken. Anyway, like the others have said, the typography could use some work. Less is more; you don't need to throw all those fancy Photoshop effects to make your type look good.

I think the cover is a little busy at the moment.