Hillsboro Oregon Readers Book Club discussion

General/Welcome > Welcome! Join us.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Rider (rorider) | 4 comments Mod
If you like to read and wish you could talk with others about the books you read please join us.
We choose a book to read and discuss and then meet in real life to do so.
We are in the Hillsboro, OR area (Aloha, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Cornelius, Forest Grove, etc.) and hope to have a vibrant, continuing group of avid readers to share our reading experiences.
Reading can be much more rewarding when you meet to discuss the books. Get other opinions and viewpoints and hear what is gleaned by other readers. Share your views and suggest books to read.
Don't be shy, join and become involved.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Is there any chance of reviving this group? Would love to have a local book club!

message 3: by Rick (new)

Elizabeth, Welcome!
I would also enjoy revival of the group. Did you have a day/time in mind? Any others you could get to join? Also, location suggestions would be appreciated.
Primrose and Tumbleweeds in downtown Hillsboro provides a neutral, nice, meeting place for a lunchtime or mid-afternoon meeting. (And allows for food and drink if desired.) Up to 10 people would be quite comfortable there.
In short, Yes, I would be happy to get the group re-activated. It might be obvious we'd have to start from square one at this point., but, perhaps, we can revive it through the winter months.
Rick

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Hi Rick,
I really didn't have any specific time or location in mind. Primrose and Tumbleweeds sounds like an excellent place to meet. I can only meet on Fridays during the week, as that is the only day I don't work, I can meet any evening however. As far as promoting the group, there is always Meetup. I checked there first and didn't see any general type book groups in Hillsboro. I only found this one by google and I have been a goodreads member forever. I actually don't know many people who read or have time to read and I miss talking books, so started looking for a book group. I will do some research on promoting such a group.
Thanks for the welcome!
Elizabeth

message 5: by Rick (new)

Sounds like my search about a year and a half ago. I got frustrated trying to find an active group. Any way we could promote the group would be good. Let's both see if we can drum up a few others (while I'd love to just start a group discussion, two isn't an ideal group) and see if we can get something going.
I'll try to post something on Meetup, if it will let me, and try another avenue as well, Nextdoor is something I might get an interest from.
I'll keep you posted.
Rick

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Sounds good. Nextdoor might actually be a great option!

message 7: by Rick (last edited Oct 12, 2017 05:08PM) (new)

Here's the response I got from Sam, the moderator of the Nextdoor book club when I asked if they were active.

Hi Rick--
Sorry for the delay.
Yes, the book club is still going. We have a cozy group of 6. 4 or 5 people usually show up, and we have had many good discussions.
We met last night, in fact. If you and your friend want to join, you would be very welcome.
The next meeting is on November 16, at 6:30pm. Our book is "The Witches of New York" by Ami McKay.
Our meetings are on the second Thursday of the month (except in November). The venue changes--we take turns hosting in our homes or at the library.
Let me know if I should add you and your friend to the email list.

I didn't have your email and also didn't know if you'd want me sending it without your permission. You can email Sam directly at:
Sam Cook if you want to get on that book club's list. I think I will do so and attend at least one meeting if I can get there. My email, should you want to discuss this off group is: rorider@gmail.com

If you'd still like to pursue our own group, let me know, I'd be delighted to continue efforts to get this group functional.
Rick

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Good morning Rick,
Thank you for checking into this. Although it seems ideal, I think I am going to have to pass on it for now. I think I am going to try out the Library's book group, which meets on the the 25th this month, and are reading The Nightengale by Kristin Hannah. I appreciate your efforts to get a group going!
Elizabeth