Indie Authors discussion

Marketing > Does anyone have experience with these donation sites?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Wohlscheid (johnblood) | 49 comments I can across a couple websites that help people donate money to their favorite content creators. Does anyone have any experience with these services: Flattr and Patreon? I'm like to give them a try, but wanted to see if anyone had gone before me.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica West (jessica_west) | 60 comments I've heard of Patreon, but I've not tried any of these sites.

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Flynn I had a friend try a donation site. Out of like 500 downloads, she only got something like 3 donations. She said she'd never do that again. I can ask for more specific details if anyone wants.

message 4: by John (new)

John Wohlscheid (johnblood) | 49 comments Sabrina wrote: "I had a friend try a donation site. Out of like 500 downloads, she only got something like 3 donations. She said she'd never do that again. I can ask for more specific details if anyone wants."

These services might be different because the fan does not get anything in return for their donation through Flattr. On the other hand. Patreon is set up like Kickstarter: people who give more money can get perks.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments my thoughts on Patreon (haven't heard of the other):
I will join sometime this year, I've been keeping an eye on it for almost a year now.
from my blog post:
" But I think all writers should start considering Patreon seriously. In the words of my friend M.L. Buchman:

Just like Kickstarter, it began like a webcomic and music Platform and it is only just now being discovered by writers–with varying degrees of success. There’s plenty of room over there. And it’s a win-win. The more writers we get there, the more fans will be drawn to it who think, “Hey, each time they release a story, sure I’ll buy them a cup of coffee to celebrate.” So, check it out, maybe it’s a worthwile Platform for you to improve and monetize connections with fans.”

There are also two ways of finding patrons, monthly (like Dean Wesley Smith) or “per creation” (like M.L. Buchman), which is something I’m really considering this year that I’ll be slower with the “publish” button."
(read the rest here: https://creativebarbwire.wordpress.co...)

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Sabrina wrote: "I had a friend try a donation site. Out of like 500 downloads, she only got something like 3 donations. She said she'd never do that again. I can ask for more specific details if anyone wants."

sounds like NoiseTrade - same here, 1 donation, so now I only have one story there that is free everywhere... David Gaughran suggested to join that site to build your mailing list, but I got like 10 emails of people who might never actually subscribe to my newsletter (just because they downloaded a free story without leaving a donation doesn't mean they're interested in the rest)...

message 7: by John (new)

John Wohlscheid (johnblood) | 49 comments Barbara wrote: "I got like 10 emails of people who might never actually subscribe to my newsletter (just because they downloaded a free story without leaving a donation doesn't mean they're interested in the rest)"

That seems to be the problem every where. People get so much stuff for free that it's hard to get money out of people.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Patreon is different, though. If you choose the "per creation" thing, they pay only when you release... check the links on the blog about the people I plan on "helping" when I finally sign up with Patreon. There are rewards, like on Kickstarter - and Kickstarter does manage to raise funds.

message 9: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 418 comments I'm going to have to think about this. From the Creator account info, it's highly recommended to upload a video for your sales pitch. I don't know. Video and I don't really get along. It has something to do with people throwing things at their monitors to make it stop. In addition, I have to think of a reward that people might like, such as "make the video stop." I'm going to have to ponder this for a bit.

message 10: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Flynn LOL, Ubi! I'll have to check out that Patreon when I get to my computer. Thanks, Barbara.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Sabrina wrote: "LOL, Ubi! I'll have to check out that Patreon when I get to my computer. Thanks, Barbara."

You're welcome, and I second the LOL! ;)
I'm going to do a mini-movie with my drawings, although at some point my drawn avatar will say "I'm real, see?" and I'll cut to me waving at the camera without saying a word - and back to the avatar version! ;D

message 12: by Steven (new)

Steven Sheeley (stevensheeley) | 3 comments Yeah, I agree Ubi, video and I only mix well when I am on the viewing side of the camera and not the recording side.

I am, however, very interested in Patreon and am looking into it to see if it is working for others.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1194 comments Patreon seems to be working well for artists (I'm also on DeviantART and a lot of the artists I'm "watching" there have started Patreon campaigns).
I think it's doing well for Neil Clarke of Clarkesworld, so if you write SFF, you might check it before you submit to the nicest editor evah (and I say that even if he rejected 3 of my short stories - but they were nice rejection letters)!

message 14: by Alp (new)

Alp Mortal I heard only good things from artists using Patreon.