Fringe Fiction discussion

Group Questions? > Kindle Unlimited

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Powning The Ground Will Catch You by David Powning

Hello all.

I've just joined this group and have a quick question for you, if that's okay.

Do many of you use the Kindle Unlimited service, and what do you think of it?

I published my first novel last year across Amazon, Createspace and Smashwords, but I'm tempted to try Amazon's KDP Select programme, which would make my novel available on Kindle Unlimited, but it requires exclusivity. In other words, I would only be able to sell via Amazon.

However, I've read so many conflicting reports about whether or not it's worth doing that I'm now having second thoughts.

So I just wondered if many of you prolific readers of fringe fiction use Kindle Unlimited – any thoughts greatly appreciated.

All the best,

David

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Moving this to Group Questions :)

message 3: by David (new)

David Powning Thanks, Lily – apologies for putting it in the wrong place.

message 4: by Rachael (new)

Rachael As far as using Kindle Unlimited goes, I'm currently on the 30 trial trying to decide whether I should continue or not and so far I'm liking it.

message 5: by David (new)

David Powning Thanks, Rachael – that's one 'yes' vote.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) No problem, David.

Authors seem to either go "meh" or hate Unlimited. It seems to be an extra thing, not a substitute. Granted, it's very new and I've also seen complaints there's not enough books. It might be simply too early to tell.

message 7: by David (new)

David Powning I hope you're right about it being an extra. The problem for new authors, esp indie, is whether readers will still buy books alongside using KU. With any luck, they will. My preference would be for my book to be available on different platforms - it just feels right.

message 8: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 125 comments I did the 30 day trial back when it first came out and found that while some really great works were available with it, the selection was too limited for me. I imagine that will change over time, as long as it succeeds, so I might give it another shot in the future. I certainly read enough that if the selection were larger it would save me a lot of money.

As an author, I enrolled my collection of short stories in KDP select when they first came out and enjoyed quite an uptick in sales when I used my "free promotion" days. However, the other 83 of the 90 enrollment days did not see any benefit in sales from being enrolled in KDP Select. Again, that was early days, so who knows what it would be like now, or in the future.

I refrained from enrolling my latest novel in KDP Select, and instead have opted to use bookbaby (as well as createspace and KDP) and sell the ebook through as many platforms as possible. The book just launched on Friday, so it's far too soon to say how that will go, but I'm very curious to see if there's a noticeable difference in sales. (Of course, there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration with the comparison, so it will be tricky to tell, but I'll try to keep all of those in mind.)

So, I would say the jury is still out. Though if you check out Hugh Howey's website he has some interesting things to say on the matter. HughHowey.com

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Completely agree on different platforms. KU doesn't seem to have an established market yet anyway. Personally, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the KU basket.

message 10: by David (new)

David Powning The general feeling I'm getting from these posts is that it'll take time to see if KU beds in and becomes the 'go-to place' for subscribers. It will also be interesting to watch the effect on other services such as Scribd and Oyster, and whether readers generally will move over to a subscription-based model or combine that with buying books as well.

It's rather like the music industry a few years back – no one is quite sure what the future holds. It will evolve organically over time. The most important thing, I guess, is that readers have choices – we'll just have to wait to see how it all pans out.

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt | 3 comments I've had a KU sub since it came out and thinking about dropping it for now. Initially I really liked it mainly because I like books with audio using whispersync to read/listen and there are quite a few books with audio. Even if the audio was not included it was still a savings because if the book was available then you only paid the discounted cost for the whispersync audio and not the book sometimes only $1.99-$3.99. I also really liked that I could discover new authors without buyers remorse some I will buy their future books after reading ones on KU.

However I quickly read/listened to most of the books that interested me and there does not seem to be very many new releases or possible there are but it is hard to find them.

I think it is a great idea though and really good for those of us that read a book or two a week. Maybe it will get better in the future.

message 12: by David (new)

David Powning Thanks, Matt. Again, it's wait and see for KU. Really interesting to hear your thoughts.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 287 comments Check out the discussion and links in the group Taming Amazon and the topic Outside Amazon (or is it Beyond Amazon?). Anyway, there's been some good discussion of KU there. Pro and con.

message 14: by David (new)

David Powning Will do – thanks.

message 15: by W. (new)

W. (wlen) | 23 comments I don't subscribe to KU as a reader since I like to discover books in the bookstore, but I've found KU to be helpful to me as a writer. I've placed my ebooks on Kindle Select, one for half a year, the other for 2 months. The KU loans have been consistent daily for the first book, less so for the second. The per-loan payment is up to Amazon though, which I think is the long term concern for authors. Right now, they're just starting KU so the payments per-loan are about $1.50/book, but over time, it may trend down. The payment pool is up to Amazon so authors lose control over pricing. Still, KU is worth experimenting with.

message 16: by David (new)

David Powning Hi W.

Thanks for that. In the end I decided not to go with KU for this book as it had already been listed with various outlets via Smashwords, and obviously once it's out there I'm not sure I can guarantee Amazon that it's not available elsewhere, even after 'unpublishing' it. However, I've started work on the next book, so I think I'll give KU a shot when it comes out, if only for a trial period. By then, hopefully, things will have settled down, and the pros and cons of the service will be more apparent.

message 17: by C.G. (new)

C.G. (CG_Garcia) | 88 comments The only books I have in KU are my paranormal romance $.99 serials and short stories, but the only reason I left them in after the initial 30 days was because I was making more money on borrows than I did when they were available everywhere. As soon as that changes, they're coming out. However, I found I lost too much money on any novels priced $3.99 or higher, and it was better for me to distribute those on all channels rather than limit them to Amazon. It was a good way to draw in new readers as they are more open to try out new authors.

Saying that, this is one of those things that you just have to experiment with, to see what's best for you. There are others that write in the same genre as me that didn't have the same good results as I did, and then there are others who did so well that they qualified for the KU Bonuses.

message 18: by David (new)

David Powning Hi C.G.

Like you say, it comes down to the individual experimenting. I've decided to not go with KU on this book as it's already out via other outlets, but chances are I will try it with the next. My problem is that I wrote a standalone contemporary fiction novel, so even with the good reviews it's a hard sell. That'll teach me. The next book will be different…

Thanks for your comments.
D