2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > Hardcover vs Paperback

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments Does anyone have a preference?

I personally like the look of hardcover books on my bookshelf. I feel like it adds value to the books I really like and helps to preserve it. It's very weird, I pay sometimes 10x the amount just to have a hardcover copy.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (tattooedmommy) | 2 comments I'm more of a paperback nut myself. my friends think I'm a lil nuts because I don't like to loan my books out and have them come back with spine creasing. I can read a brand new book and still have it look as tho its never been opened. hardcovers take up more room because they're usually bigger and that's just not feasible for the amount of books I have. however, I'd take having one book in a series in hardcover over, say kindle version, if that was the only way I could complete my series.
I like having a Kindle but nothing beats reading and actually turning the pages of a good book!

message 3: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments Stacy wrote: "nothing beats reading and actually turning the pages of a good book!"

I agree with ^^ 100%. I created a thread about this last week. I despise electronic books.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad I really don't have a preference over the two. I have both hard and paperback books in my collection but now that I have a kindle I tend to have more books that are paperback when I do purchase books. most of my books come from garage sales or book sales at the library

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (bookworm_booklover) | 170 comments Hardcover all the way! I feel like you Narma, I think it preserves them better. Also, I feel like I'm a collector of stories, and as a collector why wouldn't I invest in the best for my shelves? I love the durability of a hardcover and the feel of them in your hands. I don't mind paperback but I certainly like the hardcover feel in my hands.

message 6: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments Megan wrote: "Hardcover all the way! I feel like you Narma, I think it preserves them better. Also, I feel like I'm a collector of stories, and as a collector why wouldn't I invest in the best for my shelves? I ..."

Ditto! Sometimes I find the design of the paperbacks more attractive in terms of pictures and colors, but a hardcover just seems very upright and exquisite in my hands and on my shelf!

message 7: by Anja (new)

Anja (thesofa) | 86 comments Paperbacks! Not as heavy and big and easier to hold - and you can crease the spine :D (yes, I really love that!). On my paperbacks you can really see how well read (or not) they are

message 8: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighsbookshelf) I prefer a paperback generally. Mainly for practicality; I don't have all that much space, I don't have all that much money, hardbacks are difficult to carry around with me and truthfully, I think you get more uniformity to paperbacks. I'm fond of the 'small hardback' - which is the hardback the size of a conventional paperback but aside from that I would go paperback 100%!

message 9: by Niki (new)

Niki | 16 comments Paperback. I always have a book in my purse and paperbacks fit in there better without adding much weight. Hardcover tends to make my hands cramp up if I'm reading too long. I'm also in the camp that loves cracking the spine especially if you get if cracked right down the center it's so satisfying.

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Day (nikkiday) I'm definitely a paperback person. I hate reading a hardcover and not being able to bend the pages back. Makes it uncomfy when I'm trying to read in bed.

message 11: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Both of them. And virtual ones too :p
I like a beautiful book but, well, what matters for me is what is inside. And I have to say that I'm a carefree reader so the only way for books to survive is to stay on my shelves :D

message 12: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I just love the feel and smell of real books. That being said, I prefer hardcover books, but paperbacks are more portable and It bothers me less when a page or cover is dinged or wrinkled.

I switched over to a Nook 2 years ago, because I have troubles letting go of a book once I have read it. My job requires I move every 2-4 years and at the time I was moving 5 bookshelves of books. It was a pain. The Nook books are good and do their job, but they're not as fun to read as a book with paper, however, they're easier to store a lot of books on.

message 13: by Elina (new)

Elina | 3 comments Hardcover, although most publications are paperback.

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments I prefer paperback, with the exception a few special books (like first editions or fancy versions). The paperbacks are infinitely more portable and are usually cheaper. With hardbacks I worry about damaging the jackets and things.

Plus I have limited bookshelf space and so paperbacks are usually easier to store and take up a lot less room. ;-)

Cait the Bookish Bansídhe (bookishbansidhe) I love all books! Haha. Actually, it depends on the book. If it's a collector's thing (like a complete series), or one of my favorites, I like having them in hardcover (and sometimes in paperback too)!

message 16: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments It depends on the book! Last year I bought 'The Complete Collection of The Brother's Grimm' and I bought that book in hardback because it looked so much prettier. I own quite a few hardback books because I do prefer the look of them but generally I prefer paperback books. I find them more convenient easier to carry, easier to hold, I don't mind so much when they get a bit bent and they're also cheaper.

I recently downloaded the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone because there were two books I wanted to read and one of them was only available on Kindle and the other one was extremely expensive for the book whereas the Kindle price was fairly decent. Generally I don't like using Kindle's or any other type of electronic books though, I purely made an exception this time because I had no other way to read those books.

message 17: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Paperback lover here. I just don't enjoy the experience of reading a hardcover - they are too bulky, and I'm always aware of holding them, whereas a paperback almost becomes an extension of myself.

And I vastly prefer second hand paperbacks - they smell better, and I don't have any guilt from wearing them in myself. :)

I was very anti-Kindle for a long time, until my husband bought me one for my birthday last year. It was just before I went to Australia for seven weeks with my daughter and it was brilliant for traveling. I also love being able to carry a hundred books in my handbag! Plus, it saves me a fortune - it's not as easy to find a huge range of secondhand books in English here. :(

Cait the Bookish Bansídhe (bookishbansidhe) Jody, I was anti-Kindle for a long time too. My parents own an independent bookstore, so it felt like a betrayal. They actually bought it for me a few Christmases ago because I was moving to Japan a month later. It's definitely more convenient, but if I love a book or an author, I usually end up buying a physical copy anyway. Haha.

message 19: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments Yes! I do the same (same with books that I've borrowed and loved).

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 186 comments I love them both! I tend to buy more paperback books because they are a better price. Having said that if a book in a series I am reading comes out and I have to have it right away I will buy it in hardcover.

I have a Kobo and have had it for years now so I tend to buy most of my books for it. I love being able to carry around hundreds of books at one time. I will still buy the physical copy of a book if its part of a series I really love.

I switched to a kobo because I was running out of space for all my books at home :(

message 21: by Erika (new)

Erika I don't have a preference. I actually have more ebooks in my Google Play library than I have physical books, anyway.

message 22: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments I just thought of something else about why I love paperbacks more than hardbacks.

If you're reading in bed and are falling asleep so drop your book on your face, a paperback is nowhere near as painful as a hardback. ;-)

message 23: by Britteny, Mod Assistant (new)

Britteny (brittnichol) | 194 comments Mod
For the most part I prefer paperback because I have weak wrists and trying to hold a hardback book can be very straining on me. Plus I have a tendency to want to hold my book with one hand and that's not possible with hardbacks. I also have both a Kindle and a Nook (latter was gifted). Electronic is good for when I'm traveling as I don't have to lug a bunch of books--just the gadget and charge cord. lol. Hardbacks (compared to paperback or electronic) are also occassionally too heavy or big for my purse.

However, many of my Jeffery Deaver novels are in hardback because I'm too impatient to wait a year or more for it to come out in paperback. LOL!!

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleae) Cait wrote: "I just thought of something else about why I love paperbacks more than hardbacks.

If you're reading in bed and are falling asleep so drop your book on your face, a paperback is nowhere near as pai..."

That is so true!

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan I definitely love reading paperbacks better than hardcover. The book jacket always gets in my way so I always have to remove it (and then end up losing it half the time). Also I tend to read for long periods of time and the heaviness of hard cover books always give me cramps in my wrists!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 14 comments I know I'm in the majority here but I will choose my Kindle over a physical book any day. If I could trade in my physical books for my Kindle I would.

The reasoning is I get migraines. I used to get them every single day because I was reading very small print and I wasn't able to read as much as I wanted to because it would make me physically sick.

Sure seeing a bunch of books is pleasing to the eye, but reading to me isn't about appearances. If I can get the same thing out of a book on my Kindle without getting a migraine then that's how I'd rather read.

I have nothing against people that hate Kindles but that's just how I'd rather read and that's how I enjoy my books

message 27: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I'm loving my Kindle more and more the longer I have it.

The things I really miss though are:

Firstly the smell. If they could make a Kindle that smelled like an old book I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Secondly, I like to be able to physically see my progress. The percentage doesn't really work as well as being able to eyeball the remaining pages.

Thirdly, it sometimes feels weird only reading on one page. I tend to instinctively turn my head to the left before I remember that I don't need to.

But all of that said, the other day I was reading a normal book and went to touch a word with my finger (to look it up in the dictionary) before I realised that derp ... can't do that!

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 14 comments My biggest problem is when I'm reading a physical book, I tap the left corner to see how long until the chapter/book is done then I'm like "oh right... I have no way of knowing"

that's what I love about the Kindle. If I'm really tired, I can see how long until the next chapter or the end of the book and see if I should quit there or keep going.

I also like how cheap the books are. I have a wishlist of all my "to-read" books from Goodreads on Amazon so I've gotten popular Stephen King books for $2 and things like that.

I really don't miss physical books like I thought I would. I do occasionally like reading the physical book, but usually I'll buy the book on my Kindle if it's cheap enough and then read it on there instead.

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert I tend to put my finger on an unknown word in a real book, hoping to get the definition come up!

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky (firesmithb) | 6 comments Lol! Funny! I have done that too!

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktmac_1) Cait wrote: "I love all books! Haha. Actually, it depends on the book. If it's a collector's thing (like a complete series), or one of my favorites, I like having them in hardcover (and sometimes in paperback t..."

Agreed. It depends on the book. I have my favorites in hardback, most in paperback for practical purposes (taking a book in bag or reading on the go), and a few in digital form for long trips or just can't find it in paper form.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktmac_1) Francesca wrote: "Last year I bought 'The Complete Collection of The Brother's Grimm' and I bought that book in hardback because it looked so much prettier. "

Is that the one with the swan on the front? I bought that one because of the cover, too!

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktmac_1) Katie wrote: "Francesca wrote: "Last year I bought 'The Complete Collection of The Brother's Grimm' and I bought that book in hardback because it looked so much prettier. "

Is that the one with the swan on the ..."

Nevermind, that was Hans Christian Anderson, Not Grimm that I bought. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jeffery Deaver (other topics)