RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2015 Genre Challenge > February: Crime/Mystery/Thrillers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2174 comments Mod
Hi guys... this is the discussion board/thread for February: Crime/Mystery/Thrillers of RMFAO 2015 Genre Challenge.

Please announce the level as well as the books you're planning for this challenge.
Feel free to discuss about separate books here, just make sure that the books fall in the respective genre only!
Have a great time guys...

Happy Reading! <3

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments I'll be reading The Hitman's Lover and The Black Dahlia to start.

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3271 comments Mod
Yea, thanks for starting the thread, Heena. I'm definitely going for Level 5: Bookiopath this month! It will be a mix of hard covers, paperbacks, an eBook and an audio book.

Mr. Standfast (aka Mr Steadfast, 1918) by John Buchan (Richard Hannay #3) - also counts for Classic Catchup and Series Challenge

Death of a Policeman by M C Beaton (Hamish Macbeth #30)

The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover by Kinky Friedman (Kinky Friedman #9)

The Game of Thirty by William Kotzwinkle

Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum #13) - also counts for Series Challenge

I hope to read a couple of more mysteries if I can squeeze them in timewise.

message 5: by Marigold (new)

Marigold Dicer | 21 comments I'm going to read Becky Durfee's Jenny Watkins mysteries, since I've read the first two already and absolutely loved them. Is paranormal mystery okay for this month? It's a bit like cozy mystery except she's psychic :) I'm not that fussed on hard crime, but I do have Shallow Waters (DI Hannah Robbins #1) by Rebecca Bradley that I bought, so what better month to read it than crime month? Yup, that's my aim. So at least three books I reckon.

message 6: by Dagny (new)

Marigold wrote: "Is paranormal mystery okay for this month?"

I'm betting it is, Marigold. I have one of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books in my 'hopeful' list. I'm reading the 6th one now and will probably pick up the 7th from the library some time next month.

The genres seem to cross over so many lines these days, I barely know what is what any more, lol.

message 7: by Marigold (new)

Marigold Dicer | 21 comments Dagny wrote: "The genres seem to cross over so many lines these days, I barely know what is what any more, lol."
So true. Sookie Stackhouse is the perfect blend of mystery, romance, and urban fantasy. Hell, you can even add family drama for some of the books. That's four genres right there!

message 8: by Heena (new)

This is totally my thing! I'm gonna go for Level 5 :)
Following are the books that I've to read... though I'm gonna squeeze in a few more...

-Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories - Classic
-The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Vol 1 - Classic
-The 39 Steps - Classic
-The Lupane Legacy - NetGalley
-Cube Sleuth - NetGalley
-Canary - NetGalley
-Sweet Nothing: Stories - NetGalley
-The Casual Vacancy - Library

message 9: by Simona (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:49AM) (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments Definitely Level 5 for me too.

I am going with:
-The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel ebook
-Moriarty ebook
-The Sign of Four paperback
-The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes audiobook
I love Sherlock Holmes, so I will try to read more Arthur Conan Doyle, and if I stumble upon some re-tellings I will definitely give them a go too;
-Alan Bradley's Flavia De Luce series - don't know if I will go through all of them.

I also want to read some more of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files; the rest will come as the mood strikes.

message 10: by Simona (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments Heena wrote: "This is totally my thing! I'm gonna go for Level 5 :)
Following are the books that I've to read... though I'm gonna squeeze in a few more...

-[book:Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories|13447..."

Cool! I love Edgar Allan Poe :)

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Simona wrote: "Definitely Level 5 for me too.
I also want to read some more of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files"

We're a bunch of mystery lovers here!

I haven't read any of the Dresden Files yet, but have the first one, Storm Front, on hand to try whenever I can fit it in.

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "This is totally my thing! I'm gonna go for Level 5 :)
Following are the books that I've to read... though I'm gonna squeeze in a few more."

I'll be interested to see how you like The Thirty-Nine Steps.

I only listed five, but I'm hoping to squeeze in at least a couple of more also.

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments I think I'll choose Level 5.
These are the books I would like read:

Farewell, My Lovely
A is for Alibi
Ilta on julma
The Casual Vacancy
Broken Dolls

message 14: by Heena (new)

Simona wrote: "Heena wrote: "This is totally my thing! I'm gonna go for Level 5 :)

-[book:Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short..."

Yay! I'm feeling ever better about reading his book now :)
We'll discuss loads and loads once I'm done with it :D
Your book list is also great Simona... I hope you enjoy reading them all! good luck :)

message 15: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Simona wrote: "Definitely Level 5 for me too.

"

Hahah... I agree... :)

message 16: by Heena (last edited Jan 27, 2015 11:25AM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "Heena wrote: "This is totally my thing! I'm gonna go for Level 5 :)
Following are the books that I've to read... though I'm gonna squeeze in a few more."

I'll be interested to see how you like The..."

I'm getting a feeling that I'll like it... fingers crosses! :)

And I'm very sure you're gonna read more than 6 in any case... heheh! ;)

message 17: by Heena (new)

Andrew wrote: "I think I'll choose Level 5.

Farewell, My Lovely
A is for Alibi
Ilta on julma
The Casual Vacancy
[bo..."

Hey Andrew! Long time huh...
I'm also reading Casual Vacancy for this challenge... I guess our book-choices are extremely similar!

Anyways... just wanted to confirm on our buddy-read for around the world in 80 days :)

message 18: by Simona (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments Dagny wrote: "Simona wrote: "Definitely Level 5 for me too.

I haven't read any of the Dresden Files yet, but..."

Yeah, definitely! What's not to love??! :)
There are so many sub-categories, so much variety, you can't possibily get bored! I've always had a thing for Shelock Holmes, but sometimes I need to lighten it up and that's when stuff like The Dresden Files comes in handy. The series is very enjoyable, and very simple written, and the main character is kind of a doof. I think you will like it.

message 19: by Simona (new)

Simona F. (simona21) | 79 comments Heena wrote: "Simona wrote: "Heena wrote: "This is totally my thing! I'm gonna go for Level 5 :)

-[book:Hercule Poirot: The..."

We sure will! So far only one of my friends is a fan of Poe's, and I really am fascinated with him :)
Happy reading to you too!

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Heena wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I think I'll choose Level 5.

Farewell, My Lovely
A is for Alibi
Ilta on julma
[book:The Casual Vacanc..."

Hi Heena, glad to hear you. 'Casual Vacancy' is on my shelf since long time, and it's time to read it.
I'm looking forward to read "Around the World in 80 Days".

message 21: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "I think I'll choose Level 5.

A is for Alibi"

Will this be your first Kinsey Millhone? I'm up to U.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments Dagny wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I think I'll choose Level 5.

A is for Alibi"

Will this be your first Kinsey Millhone? I'm up to U."

Actually, I read B is for Burglar, but now I would read the series in the right order.

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Andrew wrote: "Actually, I read B is for Burglar, but now I would read the series in the right order.
..."

Smart move, Andrew. That's always the best. I've 'discovered' some series mid-way and had to go back to the beginning.

message 24: by Leah (new)

Leah (fictionfanaz) I'm still just going for 1 in each genre, but since I read a lot of crime/mystery anyway I'll probably get through these 3 this month...

The Ice Princess - backtracking to the beginning of this series after jumping in mid-way
Second Life - the new one from SJ Watson, author of Before I Go To Sleep
Money Tree - I loved Gordon Ferris' Douglas Brodie books, so intrigued to see how he does with a present day setting.

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Leah wrote: "I'm still just going for 1 in each genre, but since I read a lot of crime/mystery anyway I'll probably get through these 3 this month..."

Good going, Leah. I've upped mine this month too.

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Almost ready to roll on Mystery Month! I have a couple of books I need to finish reading. If I can get the mystery one done tonight, I'll be able to start a new one tomorrow.

message 27: by Heena (new)

Leah wrote: "I'm still just going for 1 in each genre, but since I read a lot of crime/mystery anyway I'll probably get through these 3 this month...

The Ice Princess - backtracking to the begin..."

It's great that you're joining us for this one!
All the best for the Mystery month :)

message 28: by Heena (new)

Heena wrote: "Leah wrote: "I'm still just going for 1 in each genre, but since I read a lot of crime/mystery anyway I'll probably get through these 3 this month...

The Ice Princess - backtracking..."

Yay! Me too! :)

message 29: by Heena (new)

I've just completed the following and I liked both of them:

-The Thirty-Nine Steps
-The Affair at the Victory Ball: A Short Story

message 30: by Leah (new)

Leah (fictionfanaz) Heena wrote: "The Ice Princess - backtracking..."

Yay! Me too! :)"

Already started it - and really enjoying it. I love her writing style...and whoever does the translation is great (must check).

message 31: by Heena (new)

Leah wrote: "Heena wrote: "The Ice Princess - backtracking..."

Yay! Me too! :)"

Already started it - and really enjoying it. I love her writing style...and whoever does the translation is great (must check)."

That's great... will surely do. Thanks Leah :)

message 32: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments The two books I've read so far for this month started me off a whole lot better than last month! I've even rearranged my TBR list to accommodate the next three books in the LA Quartet by James Ellroy.

Here's my review for The Black Dahlia: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Here's my review for The Hitman's Lover: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Steve wrote: "The two books I've read so far for this month started me off a whole lot better than last month! I've even rearranged my TBR list to accommodate the next three books in the LA Quartet by James Ellroy."

Hooked on mysteries!

message 34: by Heena (new)

Steve wrote: "The two books I've read so far for this month started me off a whole lot better than last month! I've even rearranged my TBR list to accommodate the next three books in the LA Quartet by James Ellr..."

This month is everyone's favourite and also quite a lucky one!

message 35: by Titas (I read in bed) (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:22AM) (new)

Titas (I read in bed) | 98 comments Yum Yum! Now this is my forte and most favourite genre!
I have already read two classics
Maigret's Mistake and Curtains for Three in January.
I am currently reading Disturbed
and I also have
The Anniversary Man,
Fallen Idols,
Say Goodbye,
Peter Pan Must Die: A Novel lined up!

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris Quinn Is anyone else getting the plots mixed up when reading multiple crime novels simultaneously? :) Clearly I'm not used to this genre :(

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Chris wrote: "Is anyone else getting the plots mixed up when reading multiple crime novels simultaneously? :) Clearly I'm not used to this genre :("

LOL, Chris. If I happen to be reading two mysteries at the same time, one is usually set in the past. That keeps it straight for me. Also, it is easier with series mysteries because you're familiar with the characters and usually the locale.

message 38: by Dagny (new)

I'm shooting for Level 5: (Bookiopath: 5 books or more) this month and just finished my first:

1. Death of a Policeman (Hamish Macbeth #30) by M. C. Beaton
Not really up to par for me. I love this series, but in the last two books Hamish seems to have lost a lot of his fun-loving spirit. Hoping he gets it back in the next book.

message 39: by Heena (new)

Chris wrote: "Is anyone else getting the plots mixed up when reading multiple crime novels simultaneously? :) Clearly I'm not used to this genre :("

It's never happened to me so don't know much about it, but yea, as Dagny said it might help to read books from completely different times!
Or else, it'll be better to just stick with one as a time :)
Hope you're enjoying your reads... :)

message 40: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "I'm shooting for Level 5: (Bookiopath: 5 books or more) this month and just finished my first:

1. Death of a Policeman (Hamish Macbeth #30) by M. C. Beaton
Not really up to par for..."

I hope you like the next part better! :)

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris Quinn Heena wrote: It's never happened to me so don't know much about it, but yea, as Dagny said it might help to read books from completely different times!

I think that's it, two of them are mafia related set around the same time, so the details were blending into one another.

And stick to one at a time? NEVER! Must be reading all the time!

message 42: by Heena (new)

I'm done with The Lupane Legacy. It was a great read and surprisingly I enjoyed the political elements in it far more that I thought. 4-stars.

message 43: by Heena (new)

Chris wrote: "Heena wrote: It's never happened to me so don't know much about it, but yea, as Dagny said it might help to read books from completely different times!

I think that's it, two of them are mafia rel..."

Hhahaha! I knew you'll say that! ;)
I'm myself reading 5 books presently! lol!

message 44: by Dagny (new)

Chris wrote: "I think that's it, two of them are mafia related set around the same time, so the details were blending into one another."

That's exactly what happened to me once, Chris. I was reading two 19th Century books set in the English countryside. Both had a widowed squire with a daughter. Total confusion!

message 45: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments I just finished The Big Nowhere, and wow, what a fantastic, disturbing, spiderweb of a book! My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by Dagny (new)

My second mystery for the month:
Lean Mean Thirteen #13 in the Stephanie Plum series. Also counts for Finishing the Series Challenge.

Another hilarious outing. Love to be a fly on the wall at the family dinners.

message 47: by Andrew (last edited Feb 08, 2015 02:42PM) (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments I just finished Farewell, My Lovely, great crime book. Marlowe is a charismatic character, with a vein of humour and sadness. I hope to read the other books.

message 48: by Richard (last edited Feb 13, 2015 07:06PM) (new)

Richard (richardv) | 13 comments I 'll go for Level 5. The books I plan to read will be:

1. Out on the Cutting Edge by Lawrence Block (finished it recently and while not as stellar as the last two books, it was another solid addition to the Scudder series

2. The Whites: A Novel by Richard Price writing as Harry Brandt

3. Moth by James Sallis

4. Frank Sinatra in a Blender by Matthew McBride

5. Mixed Blood by Roger Smith

6. Alternate: If I get approved by Netgalley, I'll switch out one of these for Canary by Duane Swierczynski

message 49: by Dagny (new)

Richard Vialet wrote: "I 'll go for Level 5. The books I plan to read will be:

1. Out on the Cutting Edge by Lawrence Block (finished it recently and while not as stellar as the last two books, it was anoth..."

I love the Scudder series. I agree, this one is good, but there are others that are better.

message 50: by Marigold (new)

Marigold Dicer | 21 comments First book down! Odelia Grey Mystery #5
Corpse on the Cob https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I do like cozy mysteries but this one didn't quite hack it for me. I'll try reading the first book in the series sometime in the future.

« previous 1 3