Challenge: 50 Books discussion

52 books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 24, 2008 05:43PM) (new)

My enduring annual goal is to read 52 books in a year. Why?

* It is one book per week.
* That's 13 books per quarter.
* If I meet the goal, it would be possible to assign each title a different playing card, like the 52 hunted members of the former Iraqi regime.
* Highway 52 is the main route through my city. Even when I am driving, the common street sign serves to implicitly remind me of my goal.
* A round number like 50 just feels like an artificial contrivance, anathema to we curious and curmudgeonly reader-types.

Alas, the best I have ever done is 40. Once again this year I'm off the pace (seven), but I am close to done with three more.

Fifty-two books. Who's with me?

message 2: by Brianah (new)

Brianah (mrsbrianah) I love the logic behind your choice! I would be more than happy to join...however, I fear I will fall short of the 50 I have already committed to...but I will surely shoot for 52 next year :)

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) Great goal! Go for it!

I've committed to 50 already (like Brianah), but next year I will strive to find a more meaningful number, using your reasoning, of course!

Read on!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, Jeff, you've convinced me. What's another two books when I've already committed to, holy cow, 50! Good luck and see you at the 52 mark! :-)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Jeff, Your logic and reasoning has convinced me to join you in your quest, why, I can hit the 50 mark that I commited myself to with the group and even surpass it and meet another personal goal with you as well. I'm on board!

message 6: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments I understand your logic but then it begs the question what do you do if you go over 52? I know that sounds silly but if you're picking a number that's more meaningful that just plain old round numbered 50 then what do you do if it's the end of November and you hit 52? Would reading a few more books take away from the significance of 52 for you? Would 54 books not have as much meaning? I'm hoping to go over 50 this year, for me it's more important that I read as many books as I can, to see how much I can challenge myself. If I wind up at 52, great but I guess the actual number isn't as important to me as just seeing how far I can go. Good luck with your quest!

message 7: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) I think I will be reaching 52 this year but, alas, I do not have my own deck of the 52 hunted members of the former Iraqi regime. Good luck.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

If it's the end of November and I hit 52.....the drinks are on me. :)

message 9: by Nazomi (new)

Nazomi wow that's impressive!! good luck :)

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments You've got yourself a deal Jeff!