The Novella Club discussion

The Time Machine
This topic is about The Time Machine
MA Thesis - help?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda Postma (linpostma) | 4 comments Hi!

For my MA Thesis I am focusing on several book covers and their relation to the novel, including a few covers of Wells' The Time Machine. If you have read the book, could you answer one simple question for me? It won't take long! (as it truly is 1 question). I'll post the link below.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/app/show...

I'll be forever grateful! (and I will try and delete this post at the end of February)

With kind regards,

Linda

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hudson | 9 comments Hi Linda. I've voted for one of them, but given the diversity in cover type it isn't clear to me how you can usefully call some of them even candidates for "representing the content of the novel" (beyond the driest definition of representation - in which case I probably should have picked the one that only gave the author and title!).

As it was, and since they all provided that much, I selected based on the image (but I'll take the secret of which I chose with me to the grave!). It does sound like an interesting subject for a thesis, I hope it goes well.

Buck (spectru) | 568 comments I voted. Hope your poll is helpful.

Linda Postma (linpostma) | 4 comments Hi Andrew!

Thank you for voting and for your feedback! I cannot go into detail about what the exact aspect is that I will be looking at, but I can tell you that I am looking at (a couple of) general trends among book covers (therefore it is important that I pick very diverse ones). I hope you did not get to hung up on the word representation? (as I tried to put the focus of the 'content of the novel'). If you can, let me know what you think! (Also, if you would like to share which cover you picked, you are very very welcome to do so, I might use a few comments by Goodreaders in my paper).

Linda Postma (linpostma) | 4 comments Buck wrote: "I voted. Hope your poll is helpful."

Thank you!

Lora (lorabanora) Vote done. I interpreted 'representative' as what seemed most evocative.
The question did trip me a bit, too- but I suspected you might not want to skew your results by explaining everything you meant.
Either that, or I like a bit of conspiracy on the side. ;)

Linda Postma (linpostma) | 4 comments Thank you for responding. I am analysing the social function of book covers (and book cover trends), and this poll basically focuses on the function of book covers as summarising the novel (which is debatable). I hope that this makes things a bit more clear? (Alas, no big conspiracy.

In any case, thank you for voting!

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
I voted.

Though I agree with the axiom that you can't judge a book by it's cover, a good cover can certainly evoke and entice. Book covers sell books.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding - I grew up with this cover for Lord of the Flies and had no desire to read it or crack the cover to find out what it was about.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding this cover got me to read the book.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hudson | 9 comments It was probably this one for me, growing up:

It didn't make me want to read it so much as disturb me day and night...

message 10: by Ivan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
We see very few Faber & Faber books in the USA - more now thanks to Amazon. Very few Bloomsbury either. I love this cover though. Ralph Steadman did this one:

Animal Farm  by George Orwell