General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

Exigency > Thank You All !!!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4467 comments Mod
First thanks to Michael who made the characters and Epsy 3 come alive for us. I'm so grateful for your patience with all of us explaining, commenting and answering our questions you made this outer space trip really more memorable. Please stop by and let us know what's going on, tell us about new releases and if there is a sequel please let us know and I know we'd all love to spend some more time with these eclectic folks.
Your participation has been invaluable!!
xo

Now to my faithful followers both new and those who have been with me for years I'm flattered that you still want to group read and discuss a book. I love all the different ideas and thoughts we throw around that makes our discussions unforgettable.
Thank you all!!!
xo

message 2: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments Thank you Michael for taking the time to join us this month. It was a pleasure getting to know you and I enjoyed reading your comments. Please stop by and visit us again soon.

Thanks Deb, Karen, and Susan for such a great discussion this month. I'm looking forward to the next group read! :)

message 3: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "Thank you Michael for taking the time to join us this month. It was a pleasure getting to know you and I enjoyed reading your comments. Please stop by and visit us again soon.

Thanks Deb, Karen, ..."

April xoxo <3

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Siemsen (michaelsiemsen) | 17 comments Thanks for having me, everybody! Other than my beta readers, I never get the chance to have this sort of direct interaction, nor the detailed feedback and interpretations. Reviews tend to focus on quality, enjoyment, and often a sort of synopsis of the books, so I can't say enough how much I appreciate the opportunity to go deeper, and share tidbits of back story and such.

I look forward to joining you all again, and hope to continue creating stories you all will enjoy as much as Exigency!

-Michael

PS If everyone hasn't already read the supplemental Chapter 4.0, let me know if you need any help getting it into a device. It is the ending the book should have always had. :)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Siemsen (michaelsiemsen) | 17 comments Susan wrote: "Micheal can I ask why you did not include 4.0 in the book?"

Hi Susan, Sorry for the delayed response! I struggled with the decision, for sure. As a reader, I tend to dislike "wrap-up" chapters, or final chapters whose only purpose is to setup a sequel (unless, of course, it's a true series, but my feeling is the ending chapter of a book should include the end of the story we've been reading, not come after it). So I cut it out and strove to make the new ending simple and elegant. We know there is a second Afvrik waiting to take them home, Minnie and Aether have been reunited (which we've been building to throughout the book), and we can expect all to be about as well as it can be on Epsilon C. This is how I THOUGHT it would be taken. ;)

My faithful beta readers (Karen among them) called out to me that the ending was a bit abrupt, that there were questions of whether or not Aether, Minnie, and Pablo make it back to Threck Country, what was up with those smart Hynka?, what happens next?...etc. I wanted to leave most of these topics open to reader interpretation, but I felt that folks should definitely know that they made it back. I hadn't done my job effectively if this remained a lingering question, but I still had that ick about wrap-up chapters. So I wrote the epilogue to handle this.

It was only after I received the 5th or 6th negative review that cited the "lack of an ending" as their main complaint, rating the entire book 1, 2, or 3 stars as a result (and thus significantly lowering the book's overall average rating), that I decided I hadn't listened to my Betas ENOUGH. I found the scrapped Chapter 4.0, read it, and thought "Well that's not just a wrap-up chapter! Why the hell did I second guess myself on this?!" So I edited it a little bit, had it proofread by a few people, and replaced all of the existing ebook files online, and made a mental note to better listen to my Betas. I mean, that's what they're there for! :)

Unfortunately, somewhere around 15,000 people read the version without Chapter 4.0, and many will never know about the update, but everyone who got it after the update took effect will have the right stuff. :)

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Thank you to everyone for taking ppart. for taking a chance. for stepping outside your comfort zone (you too, Michael

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments For some unknown reason, GR just ate all but the opening lines to my post.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Karen wrote: "For some unknown reason, GR just ate all but the opening lines to my post. "

oops GRRRRRRR