Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > I need some help tidying up my catalog

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments We don't remove books that are out of print, but you can put a line at the top of the description to note this see here:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

We also don't remove duplicates when they have different covers, are in different formats, or are otherwise distinct. I combined those for you.

To add the new covers, make a new edition from the book page, then follow the instructions in msg 4 of this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
(you probably will find lots of useful info in the rest of that thread too)

And the pen-names ones, can you tell us which pen name they were re-issued under so we can combine them to retain the reviews?

That leaves the series and a couple of tricksy combines which I'm working on.

message 2: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments You're welcome. Just to note, adding the covers is really easy, you can totally do it yourself once you find the right buttons, but if you do have any trouble, just post them here with a link to the image. Setting the defaults though, only you can do.

message 3: by Ashley E (new)

Ashley E | 416 comments Fixed the accidental combine. :)

message 4: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Hi again Anya,

I should have mentioned, when you're adding new editions, do it from an existing one to make it much faster - also you don't have to play with the combine page, it'll be automatically done (and don't worry, I think everyone in this group has accidentally combined multiple books by accident. Some of us more than once too.)

You probably want to read the librarian manual, particularly about formatting titles. Any passing librarian will probably clean these up for you, but it's simpler all around if they're right from the start.

Edition information (such as "Fantasy Edit" or "2nd Edition") goes in the edition field. The titles should be "Book Title (Series Title, #1)" - or 1-3 or whatever the book actually is.

I also created you several proper series, as you might have noticed, since they take a day or two to show up on your page, but they're there now. If you need books added to those in future, just post in this group, authors can't edit series but librarians can.

I think all that is left now is the pen names issue. I didn't find the books under your new name yet, have they already been published, or did I misunderstand? If they're not yet published, no problem, we will combine them when they show up.