Write, Wrote, Written discussion

Help/Advice/Ideas! > Anyone doubt their abilities as a writer?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I only doubt myself every day. Otherwise, I'm good.

message 2: by Nita (new)

Nita Pan (nitapanwrites) | 2 comments I get excited and plunge into a project, but then a sneaky whisper plants insecurities about my writing.

message 3: by Chaitea43 (new)

Chaitea43 | 1 comments I write about it on my writing blog, cskinnaird.wordpress.com

...I am definitely an insecure writer, alas! Good to know I have fellows. =)

message 4: by Aɳɳα (new)

Aɳɳα Yes! I often doubt my writing abilities!

message 5: by K.M. (new)

K.M. Taylor (kmtaylor) | 4 comments Any writer that doesn't have doubts is not a very good writer- or a human! lol. I have doubts, most especially since I've been beta reading for other writers and I'm like: "Damn, why can't my stuff be this good?!"

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Calder (tigerlilly324) | 3 comments Only 24 hours every day. Apparently quite a common affliction, sad to say.

message 7: by Feliks (last edited May 01, 2015 06:10PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I think its common for writers to undergo a lot of torture as they write; however I don't know that all of it is related specifically to self-doubt. Some writers name their worst enemy as rampant perfectionism, or emoting-too-much-with-their-own-characters, other with writing-too-many-pages. Writing is lots of things to lots of people.

But I also believe that its less terrible for those who have it as their career--as in they do it every day with enough facility that they make their living at it. Daily practice like that makes the masters.

Me, on the other hand--not being a professional at the kind of writing I'm attempting --the worst enemy is the tediousness of it. Nothing more ominous than that.

message 8: by Jaina (new)

Jaina | 4 comments Kiarra wrote: "Any writer that doesn't have doubts is not a very good writer- or a human! lol. I have doubts, most especially since I've been beta reading for other writers and I'm like: "Damn, why can't my stuff..."

I've been there! It's the worst. Especially when those amazing writers hate their work.

message 9: by Jaina (new)

Jaina | 4 comments Doubt seems to be one of the only things that I've never heard of any writer (any artist, really) overcoming. It sucks, but it seems like all we can do is just deal with it and try to tune it out.

message 10: by Philippa (new)

Philippa Agreed. I would greatly like to become a successful author. I do not doubt my capabilities, as such, it's just... My environment, I suppose. In a world where there are many amazing writers, and everyone says that it's impossible to make a living from being a writer, it's easy to give up. To be unable to discern what makes your writing different from all the others. Perhaps that is where we all are now.

Yes, I'm a veritable ray of sunshine when I want to be.

message 11: by Jaina (new)

Jaina | 4 comments Philippa wrote: "Agreed. I would greatly like to become a successful author. I do not doubt my capabilities, as such, it's just... My environment, I suppose. In a world where there are many amazing writers, and eve..."

Never never never never let people discourage your dreams! For every person who says you shouldn't follow your dreams you need someone who tells you you should.

message 12: by Feliks (last edited May 02, 2015 10:22PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Philippa wrote: "In a world where there are many amazing writers, and everyone says that it's impossible to make a living from being a writer, it's easy to give up. ..."

There's far many more shyt writers cranking out forgettable, pointless works with less artistry and professionalism than you might achieve in your own writing. By hook or by crook, they cough out their phlegm sheerly by dint of their own mean ambitions, which probably pale alongside your own ideals. Don't be daunted by their apparent 'success'. Bastards always rise to the top.

It is difficult to make big fame as a writer, and difficult to make a living as an unknown writer, but you can accomplish success in the latter merely by having a secondary income like any common-sense person would do when pursuing their dream. And if you 'make it' as an unknown writer you just might be in position to get that lucky break and become a widely-known writer. Its the same chance any team has when it makes it to the playoffs. The trick is to be a 'playoff team' every year.

message 13: by Sorarin (new)

Sorarin | 569 comments You sound like my father. Goodness gracious, that's amazing.

message 14: by Philippa (new)

Philippa LOL Sora!
Thanks guys.

message 15: by Feliks (last edited May 02, 2015 10:23PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Sora wrote: "You sound like my father. Goodness gracious, that's amazing."

Join me in the dark side, Luke.

message 16: by Philippa (new)

Philippa Mwahahahahh! *Steeples fingers together in sinister fashion

message 17: by Sorarin (new)

Sorarin | 569 comments o:

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh dear.

message 19: by Kaoutar (new)

Kaoutar Bel | 1 comments Well, it appears that anybody can doubt their abilities as a writer, I'm sure that the greatest writers of all times experienced this feeling or shall I say phase. However, doubtfulness is part of writing itself if a person doesn't uncertain his writings he\she wouldn't find their own writing style. One must doubt and have second thoughts about his work in order to improve it and write in a significant way.

message 20: by Philippa (new)

Philippa My thoughts exactly.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, you guys are all completely right.

Except for the sinsiter dark side stuff.

That was uncalled for.

And sinister and dark.

XD

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.We all doubt ourselves once in a while. That's what makes us great writers. think about it, without self doubt we wouldn't be able to push ourselves. Have faith in your skills. Self-doubt will destroy your dreams before others do.

message 23: by Martins (new)

Martins  (maxxzy-mrunivrs) | 1 comments Am in your league of thoughts..for it is said that our imperfectness makes perfect when we practice them..
And that is what spurs me on.

message 24: by Julia (last edited May 06, 2015 04:33AM) (new)

Julia i was writing a story and i loved until the day i had to submitt it into a contest. i relized how stupid it was. i stayed up all night trying to make it good and then i sent it in the next morning and then read it one last time . I literally wrote about a girl who went to school then got home and ound out she was moving. a freaking 50 page story on that

message 25: by Jaina (new)

Jaina | 4 comments Julia wrote: "i was writing a story and i loved until the day i had to submitt it into a contest. i relized how stupid it was. i stayed up all night trying to make it good and then i sent it in the next morning ..."

I've been there! Honestly, I find short stories a lot harder to write than novels.

message 26: by Mary Coleen (new)

Mary Coleen Pangan (marycoleenpangan) | 1 comments I do have doubts. Writing is as natural to me as breathing but every once in a while I doubt that im ever good enough... like ill ever be as a good enough writer, that ill ever be able to please my readers and I rally want to because I am inlove with writing-its my second nature and I want to be just like those authors. I want to take my readrs to a whole new world...

message 27: by Julia (new)

Julia As I read other people stories and then mine . I'm always losing detals

message 28: by Akshat (new)

Akshat Solanki (akshatsolanki) | 2 comments Guys my book 'Bachelor'$ Marriage' is published.
I have created giveaway for my book.
Do apply for that.
You can buy my book on Amazon.com

message 29: by Akshat (new)

Akshat Solanki (akshatsolanki) | 2 comments Guys try you luck for giveaway for book 'Bachelor'$ Marriage'

10 books are there.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Neill | 2 comments " Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."

That honestly just made my day.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I do doubt myself when writing. I mainly say, "I'm not good enough." "I'm terrible at writing a certain scene in the story."

message 32: by Angel (new)

Angel | 19 comments Yes, but, not enough to stop putting myself out there, at least not anymore (been an author 24 years).

message 33: by Lidy (new)

Lidy | 1 comments All the time, to the point I can't pick up my pen and write. But then I can't just not write either. Thus the cycle begins again.

message 34: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Laura wrote: "That honestly just made my day."

There's an aphorism for everything, naturally.

message 35: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd O.D. (lloydohdee) I'm halfway through my first novel, and every other sentence I write, I just imagine critics ripping apart everything I've written. I'm getting better at feeling more confident in my abilities, but I don't think that feeling will ever go away.

message 36: by Eris (new)

Eris December (sirion) | 13 comments Who doesn't doubt themselves? Doubt is a good thing. It forces you to think more deeply and to make sure that all you write is coherent and solid, at some point. Doubt urges you to perfect your writing and to seek amelioration. I think doubt is a part of the writing process. As long as it doesn't prevent you from writing, doubt is good. When you find yourself unable to write because you doubt yourself too much, that's when you've got a serious problem on your hands.

message 37: by Feliks (last edited Jul 30, 2015 06:42PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) If you doubt yourself so much that its hindering you, then perhaps you're setting your sights on 'being great'. Being great is usually just a matter of mastering the mechanics over a decent length of time. Being a workhorse. You can certainly master the nuts'n'bolts of storytelling without 'being great'. Its not that friggin' difficult. And who knows? ..if you do so...maybe someone will eventually see you as great. Just set about the task determinedly and humbly, without any goal but to get the job done. That's the way.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Once I was writing when I was about twelve and my bed came over to ask me something and I hid the story,nearly deleted it, so yeah I doubt my abilities as I writer all the time, until I wrote on fan fiction.net and people liked, then I felt like I finally knew what I can and cannot do

message 39: by Genny (new)

Genny Nugent (gennynugent) | 1 comments I doubt myself all the time. Sometimes I'm all "aw yeah that sounds great".. but the majority of the time I am second-guessing. I think it's normal and you just have to keep pushing through it. Obviously writing is very subjective too. Great writers just spend a lot of time writing and then editing! Hopefully some of us will be there someday.