Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading January 26?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2064 comments Mod
I'm starting this week with a couple of YA's- Lailah by Nikki Kelly and Thunder by Bonnie S. Calhoun.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I just started Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4) by Sarah MacLean by Sarah MacLean. I hope it's as good as the rest of the series. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this one.

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1895 comments Mod
I'm waffling over what to read next. I finished First Frost, the new Sarah Addison Allen and loved it. Though it felt a little melancholy. That might have been me, though.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I'm waiting for Julia Quinn's new book! It should be coming out today (:

message 5: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments So excited for all the new books that downloaded last night! I just started Julia Quinn's latest, then I'm reading Sabrina Jeffries' If the Viscount Falls.

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Today I'll finish Courtney Milan's Trade Me, which is so good I can't even be coherent about it. Then I'm really looking forward to JQ's newest!

Romanticbookworm | 77 comments I finished up Tales Of The Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong (library book) last night.

I then read Mara by Brian Wood (library book) a graphic novel which I enjoyed.

I am now reading Allegiant by Veronica Roth (library book) which I am really enjoying so far.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I finished JQ's new book! I like it, very cute! Moving on to The Devil Takes A Bride by Julia London, I hope the 2nd book in the series is better than the 1st. If it's awful I have 2 Tessa Dare books downloaded for back up.

message 9: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments I just read Theresa Romain's It Takes Two to Tangle (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #1) by Theresa Romain and I liked it fairly well. This was a slightly different take on the soldier who returns from the Napoleonic conflicts, and the heroine's angst adds another layer different from most Regency Romances. It held my interest most of the time, although I grew impatient with both H & h's angsty POVs.

message 10: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
Just finished Laura Gurkhes new book.
She does a lovely job of developing a storyline that is not just consistent with but also driven by the conventions and behaviors of the period.

Personally I'm not impressed with the heroines judgment or the heros overbearing ways, but I found them credible--I never felt their reactions were jarring. I think the hero should have explained his reasons for insisting on a dowry and an allowance a lot sooner, and the heroine should have asked for an explanation, but I also found the reason why at the end she agrees to marriage on those terms both believable and consistent with the period.

Such a contrast to the book I read last week...

I am now maybe 7 chapters in to Julia Quinn's new book and it too creates an authentic feeling for the period albeit with a very different tone.

Next up is Karina Bliss new book.

message 11: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
Just finished Laura Gurkhes new book.
She does a lovely job of developing a storyline that is not just consistent with but also driven by the conventions and behaviors of the period.

Personally I'm not impressed with the heroines judgment or the heros overbearing ways, but I found them credible--I never felt their reactions were jarring. I think the hero should have explained his reasons for insisting on a dowry and an allowance a lot sooner, and the heroine should have asked for an explanation, but I also found the reason why at the end she agrees to marriage on those terms both believable and consistent with the period.

Such a contrast to the book I read last week...

I am now maybe 7 chapters in to Julia Quinn's new book and it too creates an authentic feeling for the period albeit with a very different tone.

Next up is Karina Bliss new book.

message 12: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
Also the play scene in Julia Quinn's new book reaches new heights of laugh out loud funny.

message 13: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
Also the play scene in Julia Quinn's new book reaches new heights of laugh out loud funny.

message 14: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
Just finished Rise by Karina Bliss. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would since I don't like Celebrity romance . Not as good as some of her other books but well worth reading

message 15: by Manda (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1895 comments Mod
I've been looking forward to Rise, Deb. Thanks for the reminder!

Been catching up with some Victoria Dahls. Looking for Trouble I chose because of the librarian heroine. I liked it though the family stuff was a bit more "real" than I was looking for. Not enough to stop me from backtracking to read the hero's brother's book, though.

message 16: by Phoenix77 (new)

Phoenix77 | 346 comments Dls wrote: "Also the play scene in Julia Quinn's new book reaches new heights of laugh out loud funny."

I loved the play scene too and for a long time I was enjoying the book as a whole. It took a bad turn for me once the "secret" was explained and I've been dragging my feet to finish ever since.

message 17: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2079 comments Mod
Phoenix, that bothered me too. I finished the book and I am glad I did but I can't say I like the hero. Brotherly love and guilt don't justify his behavior.
But the book does a really job of developing a plot within the realities of the period and I admire that

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I finished Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover and it was a nice end to the series. Now I'm starting City of Bones.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Cheryl - I love the Mortal Instruments series, make sure you hang in there, the ending is spectacular! The other connected series are also really great too!

message 20: by Poison Ivy (new)

Poison Ivy (poisonivy2020) | 14 comments Just finished reading the last book of Julia Quinn's Smythe-Smith series.iove Julia and her heroines but i couldn't stand Richard so overall i can say that i just enjoyed the book,not loved.I read Never judge a lady by its cover a few weeks ago and i was disappointed..