The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] February 2015: Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos | Moderators: Alona & Ingrid

Comments Showing 1-50 of 195 (195 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Ingrid (last edited Jan 26, 2015 11:37PM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Hello everyone!
For February our theme is Romance (view spoiler)
and we're reading Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
307 pages, 33 chapters

Synopsis:
When Martin Grace enters the hip Philadelphia coffee shop Cornelia Brown manages, her life changes forever. But little does she know that her newfound love is only the harbinger of greater changes to come. Meanwhile, across town, Clare Hobbs--eleven years old and abandoned by her erratic mother--goes looking for her lost father. She crosses paths with Cornelia while meeting with him at the café, and the two women form an improbable friendship that carries them through the unpredictable currents of love and life.

About the author:
Marisa de los Santos grew up in Baltimore and Northern Virginia. She is the daughter of a general surgeon from Cebu City, Philippines, and a nurse from Westminster, Maryland.

Marisa earned a degree in English from the University of Virginia, an MFA in Poetry from Sarah Lawrence College, and a Ph.D in English and Creative Writing from the University of Houston.

She is married to David Teague, a children's book author. They live with their two children in Wilmington, Delaware.

Her other works include Belong To Me, Falling Together, From The Bones Out (poetry collection), and Saving Lucas Briggs(co-written with her husband). Her most recent novel, The Precious One, is set to come out early this year.

Reading Plan:
Week 1 (January 25 - February 1): Chapters 1-8 (view spoiler)
Week 2 (February 2 - 8): Chapters 9-17
Week 3 (February 9 - 15): Chapters 18-26
Week 4 (February 16 - 20): Chapters 27-33

(view spoiler)

We hope you could join us
Happy Reading!
:)

message 2: by Ingrid (last edited Feb 17, 2015 02:37AM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments This month we're also setting up a point system to determine TFG's MVP (Most Valuable Participant). Aside from an additional stamp/sticker on the TFG Passport, there would be a little something in store for you :)

Basically:
4 points when you respond to the questions/ finish the activity within 24 hours of posting
2 points when accomplished within the week (refer to reading plan schedule in first post)
1 point when accomplished before F2F
*an additional point will be given to the first person to respond/ complete the weekly activity (so a maximum of 10 points per week could be earned)

Best of luck! :)

Quick links:

Pambasag Questions (Technically, these don't count towards most active participant, but we will give you 1 point for the effort! :D)
Week 1 Questions
Week 1 Activity
Week 2 Questions
Week 2 Activity
Week 3 Questions
Week 3 Activity

Tally board concealed as of February 15, 2015 10pm PST. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments Go, Ingga and Alona!!

message 4: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Cary wrote: "Go, Ingga and Alona!!"

Naks naman sa moral support
Basa din pag may time! Haha
Thanks, Cary! :D

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments Oh I've read this a long time ago!

message 6: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Elaine wrote: "Oh I've read this a long time ago!"
Hi Elaine!
That's nice, do join us for the online discussion (and for the F2F too!). You might want to reread it too, yes? :D

message 7: by Bong (new)

Bong | 19 comments Ate Ingrid I want to read this book! Where can I find it? Haha lol

message 8: by Ingrid (last edited Jan 26, 2015 03:22AM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Johan Patrick wrote: "Ate Ingrid I want to read this book! Where can I find it? Haha lol"
(view spoiler)
Hi Patrick!
There are 2 copies at NBS Recto for (view spoiler).

We're not yet sure if there are copies available at Fully Booked but If I'm not mistaken, one of the members (Hi, Aenna!) bought a copy there sometime last week for (view spoiler). EDIT: Last copy na daw yun, sorry! Try to check? Maybe they restocked? :)

If you can't find a copy, download link is above (just open the third spoiler on the first post!)
:D

message 9: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments Ingrid wrote: "Cary wrote: "Go, Ingga and Alona!!"

Naks naman sa moral support
Basa din pag may time! Haha
Thanks, Cary! :D"

Page 1 na kaya ako! haha!

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments Ingrid wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Oh I've read this a long time ago!"
Hi Elaine!
That's nice, do join us for the online discussion (and for the F2F too!). You might want to reread it too, yes? :D"

Oh I wanted to re-read this but unfortunately I lost my copy :( I dont know if I can find a copy here because mine was from my Tita who is in LA. This is a lovely book.

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments Ay ayun there is the link for the epub copy hahah! I'll DL it later!

message 12: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments Goodluck! Will finish reading it before F2F comes.

message 13: by Bong (new)

Bong | 19 comments Thanks Ate Ingrid! Babasahin ko na to. :)

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Commenting for notifications. Hihi. This is one of my favorite books sooo medyo biased ako ;)

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Ingrid (last edited Jan 26, 2015 04:02AM) (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Elaine: Go! Happy (re)reading! :D
Rollie: Thaaanks! (view spoiler)
Patrick: (view spoiler)Thanks for joining! :D
Tina: ❤️

message 16: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments YES nahanap ko ang discussion thread ng medyo maaga, haha! (Commenting for notifications)

Go Ingga and Alona! :)

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers) (iambinibininge) | 154 comments Thanks Ingrid! ;)

message 18: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Blue: Thaaanks :D

message 19: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 730 comments Go Ingga! :)

message 20: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments (view spoiler)
Thanks, Bennard! :)

message 21: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 1188 comments Ayun oh. (view spoiler)

Commenting for notif purposes. :)

message 22: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Okay I hope I will enjoy this book. Sakto, I am reading Lullabies to clean my reading palette. (view spoiler)

Commenting for notification purposes~
:)

message 23: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Lynai: (view spoiler)
Ella: I hope you do (view spoiler)

message 24: by twstrfries (new)

twstrfries | 231 comments More more #hugot this Feb!

Enjoy reading guys! I'll be posting intro (view spoiler) questions this afternoon.

message 25: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Little cousin is finally mod! (view spoiler) Yay!

Good luck, guys! :)

message 26: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Cary: Congrats, page 1 ka na. Hehe!

message 27: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Monique: Once in a blue moon, haha! Thank you, cousin!
Meliza: Ikaw, san ka na? Start mo na din! :)

message 28: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Ingrid: Kala ko kasi Feb 1 pa start. Hehe! After the book that I'm currently reading, I'll be reading this next.

message 29: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Meliza: Ah ok :)

message 30: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Second post edited!
(for notification puposes, yes?)

message 31: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments Woooo pressuuuuure. Ready, bibo kids? :p

message 32: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments *cracks knuckles* I have time now, bwahaha. XD (Sabay hindi sumagot haha)

message 33: by twstrfries (last edited Jan 27, 2015 02:13AM) (new)

twstrfries | 231 comments Greetings from the Goddesses of Lalaloveland!

Before we go to the serious questions for this week, let’s break the ice and answer these questions first. (view spoiler)

On the synopsis, Martin Grace and Cornelia Brown met in a coffee shop. Our book club loves to hang out in coffee shops, we literally can stay there for a day. For the love of coffee, here’s our first question:

(view spoiler)

I don’t know how a Venn diagram works or how to use it (maybe Ingrid does) but when I saw this romantic status question in Akala mo Wala ng Slumbook pero Meron, Meron, Meron, I immediately thought it’s going to be fun knowing the romantic status(es) of everyone not defined by the normal “Single/In a Relationship/It’s Complicated” status we always see in Facebook.

(view spoiler)

xoxo,

A & I

message 34: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments PAMBASAG ANSWERS:

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Kristel (last edited Jan 27, 2015 05:52PM) (new)

Kristel (fanarchist) | 489 comments Personalan Questions

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Vera (new)

Vera (verabear) | 37 comments Joining in!

message 37: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments :D

message 38: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Tempted akong sagutin na nescafe 3-in-1, kasi yammy (sabi ni Coco Martin)
But I am a cold coffee, not because I am frigid( ay please, no, no, no) but because I am always on the go. No need to heat things up (view spoiler)

Q2: single na masarap

message 39: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Sakto. The ice breaker is a coffee question...

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Alexa (last edited Jan 27, 2015 07:29AM) (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments (view spoiler)

message 41: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Week 1 Questions -

1. I am an English breakfast tea latte, sweetened with Honey. Because I am sweet like honey, but I am also bitter like the tea. LOL ANDAMI KONG ALAM.

2. I am in the Venn Diagram... uhh, it's tough to answer really, it depends on a day(?), but I guess all throughout I am in (view spoiler)

But if you are really curious, HEHE (view spoiler)

message 42: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments 1. Peppermint mocha. (How Starbucks of me haha). Sweet and comforting. ;P

2. Single na masarap. Opkors. :p (view spoiler)

message 43: by kwesi 章英狮 (new)

kwesi 章英狮 (kwesifriends) | 2752 comments #LakasMakaHugot Questions

What coffee do you think best describe you? (view spoiler)

ROMANTIC STATUS: Nasaan ka sa mapa ng pagnanasa? (view spoiler)

message 44: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments What coffee do you think best describes you?
(view spoiler)

ROMANTIC STATUS: Nasaan ka sa mapa ng pagnanasa?
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Vera (new)

Vera (verabear) | 37 comments 1. Ako ay instant Kopiko Kopiccino (pwede rin Nescafé Cappuccino). Comforting.
Also thought of Hazelnut Mocha. Simple, no bells and whistles

2. Newlywed :)

message 46: by Cary (last edited Jan 27, 2015 07:38PM) (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments Sige na nga, ako din.

Question 1
(view spoiler)

Question 2
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 734 comments Very, very slight pambasag questions:

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Tin (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Question 1:(view spoiler)

Question 2:(view spoiler)

message 49: by Mawi (new)

Mawi | 145 comments What coffee do you think best describe you?(view spoiler)

ROMANTIC STATUS: Nasaan ka sa mapa ng pagnanasa?(view spoiler)

message 50: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments What coffee do you think best describe you?
(view spoiler)

ROMANTIC STATUS: Nasaan ka sa mapa ng pagnanasa?
(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.