The Jolly Good Reading Society discussion

Books starting 25th January 2015 > Station Eleven by Emily St.John Mandel

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Please discuss the book here :)

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) I've just started this and am about 40 pages through and so far I like it! It's strange to be reading a post-apocalyptic/dystopian novel that's a slower pace but it definitely suits the story

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindawilkins) I can't wait to start this one. I ordered it from Amazon U.K. because the cover and bright pink end papers are so much nicer than the U.S. version. Not sure why they need to make different versions, but I seem to be buying a lot of my books from the U.K. to get the prettier covers - and the shipping is killing me!

message 4: by Charlotte (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:59AM) (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Linda wrote: "I can't wait to start this one. I ordered it from Amazon U.K. because the cover and bright pink end papers are so much nicer than the U.S. version. Not sure why they need to make different versions..."

You should try Book Depository! They're books might be slightly more expensive but it's free worldwide shipping =)

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) I'm halfway through so far and loving it! I'm interested to see where the plot is going though because a lot of it feels like build up to something.

message 6: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) I've just finished Station Eleven and I really enjoyed it. There are a few problems that I explain in my review but I loved the stillness that you get through the writing style and I can't wait to discuss it with everyone on here!

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindawilkins) Just opened this one to beginning reading and noticed that it's a signed edition! WHAT! I don't even remember ordering a signed edition. Very nice surprise....off to read...

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Linda wrote: "Just opened this one to beginning reading and noticed that it's a signed edition! WHAT! I don't even remember ordering a signed edition. Very nice surprise....off to read..."

That's amazing! I'm pretty jealous right now. After reading this I would love to meet the author, I just have so many questions!

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindawilkins) About 100 pages in, and I can see why it's getting a lot of buzz. Very much enjoying it so far. Can't wait to see how it moves along. Also, wanted to ask - did anyone go to Google maps to see where the book is taking place. I love to do that. I have travelled along Lake Michigan while visiting Wisconsin many years back, and it's so beautiful that I just don't want to imagine what it might look like in this setting.

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Linda wrote: "About 100 pages in, and I can see why it's getting a lot of buzz. Very much enjoying it so far. Can't wait to see how it moves along. Also, wanted to ask - did anyone go to Google maps to see where..."

I've never done that but I think I should in future. I think with this book it'd definitely be an interesting to look it up.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindawilkins) Finally finished Station Eleven. I purposely stayed away from reading or watching reviews, but now that I'm done reading I'm very curious to see what others thought. I loved it. I thought it was beautifully written, and I liked how the story moved around from place to place, through time, and from person to person. It wasn't perfect, but I think it will take its place as one of my favorite books. It did remind me a bit of The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker in the same way that a line would be written something like "this would be the last orange that I would ever eat". There's something heart-wrenching when I read a line like that. All in all I thought the story was brilliant. Lastly, I was also very surprised when something fell out of the book towards the end, and it was a folded up page of the comic Station Eleven, just at the exact moment that the page fell from the prophet's book of the New Testament. Very clever.

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Linda wrote: "Finally finished Station Eleven. I purposely stayed away from reading or watching reviews, but now that I'm done reading I'm very curious to see what others thought. I loved it. I thought it was be..."

I accidentally found that page earlier on and was very confused by it because I lost the page it was from but it was such a great publishing touch =)

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
I'm about halfway through the book and I too am really enjoying it. I love all the various characters and the jumping from past to present, it's like a complicated jigsaw puzzle that I can't wait to finish :)

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
I've just finished the book and have to admit that I began to get a bit bored with it.
Here's my review:
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, the backdrop of the travelling symphony and the clever way that all the characters slowly fell into place. Unfortunately, about halfway through, I began to realise that something was missing. Then it hit me - where were all the predators? The story is set in North America where 99% of human life has been wiped out by a flu virus. The writer takes care to describe lots of the fauna and flora but surely that should have included wolves and bears? Once I noticed this plot hole I just stopped taking the book seriously and thus only awarded it 3 stars.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I know I'm late to this one but it never came up for me to check out from the library until now. It's very popular here in Michigan. My library has 23 copies and it still took me over two months to get it in my hands. I will be starting this next. I'm also reading it for another book club for April.