All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > February - what will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments What are your reading plans for February??

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 27, 2015 01:24AM) (new)

Finishing Wolf Hall
Austerlitz
The Waste Land and Other Poems
The Fault in Our Stars (provided I can get it from the library- currently reserved. This is for my recommendation swap)

message 5: by Cathie (last edited Feb 21, 2015 06:23PM) (new)

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Anastasia wrote: "- The Diary of a Good Neighbour by Doris Lessing
- An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Round House by [au..."

I haven't read these particular three books Anastasia, but I've enjoyed other books by all three of these wonderful writers! Enjoy!

message 7: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13036 comments Mod
No plans yet; I have to finsh some books on my hands anf the I'll think about the future!

message 9: by Leslie (last edited Feb 16, 2015 01:36PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "No plans yet; I have to finsh some books on my hands anf the I'll think about the future!"

Yes, I am also unprepared for February! I do know that I will be reading

Yellow Crocus as a readalong with Beth
Bel-Ami as a readalong with Alice & others

In Chancery as part of the Forsyte Saga readalong
Affinity as a readalong with Alannah
The Picture of Dorian Gray (rereading via audiobook) for our Group Classic
and of course several mysteries...

I'll update this as my plans firm up.
later
Wide Sargasso Sea (recommendation swap)
Why Shoot a Butler? {reread} (BoTM for English Mysteries group)
Nightmare in Pink

Appleby's End
Miles Errant
The Souls of Black Folk
personal monthly challenges:
short stories: In a German Pension by Katherine Mansfield
plays: Caesar and Cleopatra by G.B. Shaw & Caesar's Wife: A Comedy in Three Acts by W. Somerset Maugham
poetry: New and Selected Poems by Mary Oliver

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pink wrote: "To continue-
The Letters of Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh..."

Oh Pink, please let me know how you like Speak, Memory! Since I have been reading Nabokov recently, that has been catching my eye.

message 11: by Pink (new)

Pink Leslie, I'll let you know what I think of Speak, Memory.

Also, you've just reminded me that I'll be reading Bel-Ami as well, so I'll update my post above!

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'll be reading Firefight which will start my February reads then will go from there.

message 14: by Chrissie (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:28AM) (new)

Chrissie Pink wrote: "To continue-
The Letters of Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh
The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design

Group reads-
[book:The ..."

Pink, you have some really good books this month. Both Bel-Ami and Speak Memory I gave five stars to. To the Lighthouse is good too.

message 15: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I've got a few books I'm hoping to read; I think the list is longer than I'll manage though!

H is for Hawk
I and Thou (audio)
Brigitta
Slaughterhouse-Five
The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
Chronicle in Stone
Skylark

And also part of The Novel: A Biography, a year-long read in another GR group.

message 16: by Pink (new)

Pink Chrissie, good to know you enjoyed those ones so much. I'm looking forward to them all :)

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Gill, you have great ones too! I and Thou and Chronicle in Stone, I gave both five stars!

Pink, I I think I love Speak, Memory best.

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I will put my books here when I know what I have not yet finished for January. I am still reading.......

message 19: by Gavin (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:52PM) (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 276 comments Cuurently on the last book I had planned for this month, The Aeneid. Not sure yet, but possibly I'll be reading these:
Doctor Zhivago
Madame Bovary
Revival
Agnes Grey
Jacob's Room
Little Men
Jo's Boys

message 20: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments Planning three from my personal challenge:
Land Of Strangers
A Handful of Dust
Banners of Silk

Bookclub:
The Outlander - not the Diana Gabaldon series

Online BOTM:
Station Eleven - this finally came in on inter library loan
The Martian - waiting on this one from library as well

message 22: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments Greg wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "- The Diary of a Good Neighbour by Doris Lessing
- An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Round Hous..."</i>

I've already read [book:The Remains of the Day
by Ishiguro and I really loved it! :-D I know I will not be disappointed with this other book.

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 304 comments I planned on reading 6 books next month and just remembered Valentines Day is next month. I work in the floral department and it's our busiest time of the year. Here are the 6 books I planned to read, let's see how it goes.

The First Phone Call from Heaven
The Uncommon Reader
Where She Went
Before I Go To Sleep
The Silver Linings Playbook
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

message 24: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13036 comments Mod
Probabily these, but I'm sure to change my mind going on ...
M.C. Beaton, Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came
Clarissa Pinkola Donne che corrono coi lupi. Il mito della Donna Selvaggia
Wilkie Collins The Queen of Hearts
Francesco Fioretti Il libro segreto di Dante: Il codice nascosto della Divina Commedia
Anne B. Ross Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind
Peter  May L'isola dei cacciatori di uccelli
Gerard Donovan Morte a Dublino
Jonathan Kellerman  Flesh and Blood

message 25: by Chrissie (last edited Jan 28, 2015 01:39AM) (new)

Chrissie Terri, Mornings on Horseback is superb! David McCullough is a very engaging writer of non-fiction. Then if you want more you can start the three books by Edmund Morris, who also writes about Teddy. I was worried this would be too repetitive having already read Mornings on Horseback, but it wasn't at all. The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt is the first and the best of the three by Morris. I liked them so much that I read all three in a row. I guess now I have done Teddy.

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Terri, The Pecking Order: A Bold New Look at How Family and Society Determine Who We Become looks very interesting. Could you tell me what you think of it?

message 27: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments Gill wrote: "I've got a few books I'm hoping to read; I think the list is longer than I'll manage though!

H is for Hawk
I and Thou (audio)
Brigitta
Slaughterh..."</i>

Gill I have I and Thou on my radar too. This summer at a book fair I attended I was lucky enough to hear [author:Yann Martel
give a talk on the two most important (in his opinion) books ever written, and this was one of them.

message 28: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments I hope to finish all of of Patrica Briggs' Mercy Thompson universe books in feb. There's 9 of them at 300ish pages each.

message 30: by Sonya (new)

message 31: by B the BookAddict (last edited Feb 02, 2015 12:27PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
Perfect by Rachel Joyce
Family Album by Penelope Lively
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss Recommended by Arne Loved it, 4★
The Darlings by Cristina Alger
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons Rec'd by Angela M. Print too small, have to suss out a better copy.
White Noise by Don DeLillo Found on Literary History thread. currently reading.

message 32: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 12, 2015 07:22AM) (new)

Chrissie I will start with these three, having finished everything else in January:

The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt by Eleanor Roosevelt (read 2 stars)
A Partial History of Lost Causes by Jennifer duBois (read 3 stas)
Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland (Read 4 stars)

See message 39 for more books read this month.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Uhhh, Chrissie, partial history of lost causes seems very interesting! I'll be looking for your review ;)

message 34: by Gill (last edited Jan 30, 2015 10:06AM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Evelyn wrote: "Gill wrote: "I've got a few books I'm hoping to read; I think the list is longer than I'll manage though!

H is for Hawk
I and Thou (audio)
Brigitta
[bo..."

That's interesting re Yann Martel, Evelyn. I read [book:I and Thou|551866] a long time ago, and can still remember how interesting I found it. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

Edited to add - I don't know why the book title link didn't work.

message 35: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Giorgia wrote: "Uhhh, Chrissie, partial history of lost causes seems very interesting! I'll be looking for your review ;)"

I hope it is good, but it certainly looks interesting.

message 36: by Greg (last edited Jan 30, 2015 08:47PM) (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "LauraT wrote: "No plans yet; I have to finsh some books on my hands anf the I'll think about the future!"

Yes, I am also unprepared for February! I do know that I will be reading
.."

I loved Wide Sargasso Sea Leslie - curious to see what you think.

Also, Mary Oliver is fantastic!

message 37: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Evelyn, which was Yann Martel's other most important book? Was it Life of Pi? I loved the movie adaptation by Ang Lee!

message 38: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I too loved Wide Sargasso Sea and will reread it I'm sure :) I had to abandon Life of Pi though, and that was in the days when I tried to always finish a book! (Now I'm more aware of time being precious ...) I just found it so deeply unpleasant, and wasn't sure I properly understood what was going on. Perhaps it's all metaphorical? I avoided the film, but perhaps that would have made more sense to me?

message 39: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 15, 2015 12:13PM) (new)

Chrissie See message 32 for books already read this month.

I saw this book:
Gora (read 3 stars)
and I simply have to know why so many Indians love the book and its author. So I purchased it. I have to get more books for this month anyhow!

DON'T think, I think a three star book isn't worth reading. This really should be read. Quite an amazing book.

Next book in message 96.

message 40: by dely (last edited Jan 31, 2015 06:19AM) (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "I saw this book and I simply have to know why so many Indians love the book and the author. So I purchased it: Gora. I have to get more books for this month anyhow!"

I must still read something by Tagore, it's a shame I didn't read him yet. He should be philosophical and spiritual.
Did you know that he has written the Indian anthem? Not only Indians love him, he is very famous also abroad.
If I'm saying something wrong Dhanaraj will correct me!

message 41: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Dely, I knew nothing about the author of Gora! Thanks for telling me about the anthem. I want to see what he says about Hinduism. Both of us like books with good characterizations. This is supposed to have that too.

message 42: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "Dely, I knew nothing about the author of Gora! Thanks for telling me about the anthem. I want to see what he says about Hinduism. Both of us like books with good characterizations. This is supposed..."

Practicing yoga since many years I've always heard his name and his books are also linked to the spiritual path people could start practicing yoga. I know him from there.

message 43: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 1410 comments Alice wrote: "Evelyn, which was Yann Martel's other most important book? Was it Life of Pi? I loved the movie adaptation by Ang Lee!"

Alice it was a book called The Gift by Louis Heidt. Yann Martel did not write I and Thou either. He selected these two books because he feels if everyone in the world lived the ideas in these two books, the world would be unrecognizable, in a good way, from what we are accustomed to. It was a brilliant talk.

message 44: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Evelyn wrote: "Alice wrote: "Evelyn, which was Yann Martel's other most important book? Was it Life of Pi? I loved the movie adaptation by Ang Lee!"

Alice it was a book called The Gift by Louis Heidt..."

Yann Martel wrote One of my all time favorite short stories...brilliantly creative. Here's what the New York Times said about: The Vita Aeterna Mirror Company: Mirrors to Last Till Kingdom Come.

"The Vita Aeterna Mirror Company: Mirrors to Last Till Kingdom Come," it is as much a dramatist's work as a storyteller's. The pages break down into separate sections representing different voices. One belongs to an old woman who tells the story of her life on the page's left-hand side; occasionally, this disintegrates from actual writing into repeated rows of "blah-blah-blah-blah-." And on the right-hand side, we find the commentary of the bored grandson who is listening to her: "Man, she can go on," "My head will explode soon" and so on.

The title refers to a strange device that the grandmother has: a machine that makes mirrors and runs on memories. Beyond appreciating the charm of this quaint invention, we are headed for the realization that the grandmother - surprise! - was wiser than the young man ever realized."

message 46: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jean wrote: "I had to abandon Life of Pi though, and that was in the days when I tried to always finish a book! (Now I'm more aware of time being precious ...) I just found it so deeply unpleasant, and wasn't sure I properly understood what was going on. Perhaps it's all metaphorical? I avoided the film, but perhaps that would have made more sense to me? ..."

The ending does throw open the suggestion that it is all metaphorical & (view spoiler). But if you were not liking it because it was unpleasant I don't think this ending would have helped!

Looking forward to Wide Sargasso Sea, which I will be picking up from the library today.

message 47: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Diane S. wrote: "Readlaongs The Forsyte Saga
Bel-Ami
The Tennis Partner

Non Fiction
A Backpack, a Bear, and Eight Crates of Vodka: A Memoir reading this on..."

The Joan of Arc book sounds interesting.

message 48: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 343 comments I'll be finishing up Insurgent. Then on to:

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
Still Life
Maybe The Luminaries if I can get a copy.
Hmm not sure what else, which makes it fun....I can check in on what all my groups are reading and pick one.

message 49: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "About two years ago I tried yoga. I was told you simply cannot do anything wrong with yoga. Well, I did. It is not good for everyone. Maybe I am the exception but I was told by a doctor to stop. Si..."

Till now I've achieved only positive things but I think you are right. I hear often of people who are more nervous after the yoga lesson or have physical problems and they shouldn't do anything. It depends a lot by the yoga teachers, they should know if a person has problems and which ones so they can decide what they can do and what not. I must say that my lessons are very easy, we don't do strange or dangerous positions.

message 50: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie dely wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "About two years ago I tried yoga. I was told you simply cannot do anything wrong with yoga. Well, I did. It is not good for everyone. Maybe I am the exception but I was told by a d..."

I bought a DVD so I could watch what to do, and they promised it was even for a beginner. Doing it made me dizzy. The dizziness did not go away when I stopped the yoga, it took several weeks to disappear! I wanted to do it so very much. :0(

« previous 1 3