The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

Book vs. Movie

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So, The Book Thief already wasn't my favorite book--it was pretty good; I gave it three stars. I think The Book Thief isn't as good as so many people say, but that is just my opinion. But man, then I watched the movie. The movie changed the whole entire book--they took out all of my favorite parts in the book, they changed the order in which events happened, and Liesel "borrows" books?! What? A few of my favorite parts from the novel: Liesel and Max's nightmares and how that brought them together; Liesel and Rudy stealing food; the parade of Jews and Hans giving a piece of bread to a Jew; WHY Rudy and Liesel's fathers were forced to go away to war; Rudy and Liesel sneaking to give Jews bread in another Jew parade just like Hans had previously done; HOW/WHY Hans survived the truck flipping over in the war; the WHOLE ENTIRE accordion story and how Hans survived the first war he was in; uhhhhhh, as you can see I am going on a rant right now. The part that bugged me most about the movie was how Liesel was like barely sad when her parents and Rudy died--I mean come on, please show some emotion!!! Anyway, I was wondering what other people thought about the book and movie. Leave comments! I am interested to hear other people's opinions.

message 2: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Pretty much everything you said, except I really enjoyed the book, which was why the movie disappointed me. The actors, setting, and music were wonderful. It was the writing that needed some help sticking to the book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Eliza wrote: "Pretty much everything you said, except I really enjoyed the book, which was why the movie disappointed me. The actors, setting, and music were wonderful. It was the writing that needed some help s..."

I agree! The actors had a ton of potential (the girl that plays Liesel is so cute and perfect for the role!), but the script was horrible. I especially loved the opening scene with the train smoke billowing out with all the snow around--that was really beautiful. Music was perfect too :)

Anja Loved the movie, didn't like the book

Kirsty I prefer the book much better then the movie. In the movie they left out some good parts while the book was more detailed so I prefer the book.

message 6: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the book but still find it over-rated. The movie however was so dull and just kept...dragging...on.

Elré Clarence I really enjoyed the book. I was really disappointed with the movie. They changed a lot and the movie was slow and they left out a lot of necessary detail. I have to say the movie was a fail.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Elré wrote: "I really enjoyed the book. I was really disappointed with the movie. They changed a lot and the movie was slow and they left out a lot of necessary detail. I have to say the movie was a fail."

Yes, the movie was definitely a fail!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Roni wrote: "For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the book but still find it over-rated. The movie however was so dull and just kept...dragging...on."

The book is soooooo overrated.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Natasha wrote: "I loved the book, although I have to admit it did take a little to get into at first. Being narrated by Death was a different concept, one I had to get used to.

I didn't like the movie. So many s..."

That is true, she was more of a tomboy in the book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Anja wrote: "Loved the movie, didn't like the book"

Lol, I didn't care for the book or movie really.

Patti I read the book a while ago and just saw the movie recently. I was very disappointed in how much was left out of the movie, but isn't that always true? I have three books I intend to read that have been turned into movies and am wondering if maybe I should watch the movie first from now on.

Shannon The film was ridiculous. Really. If I had seen it on the cinema I would have left within the first minutes. I mean, the hell were they thinking? There was a lot of bad acting and that's just the first horrible aspect of it. Also the plot. THE HELL DID THEY DO? It was boring, forced and very very non profound. Besides the fact that they seemed like they wanted to sugar coat a good amount of the story. Why? This wasn't exactly for kids anyway. For example the scene were Liesel gets beat up by her "mom". That scene (at least as far as I can remember) was violent but important. Or the simple things like the food and etc. They made us watch a stupid lame version of a very interesting story. I don't usually curse but shit. I'm never wasting that time again.
Good book, incredibly horrible movie.

Sarah Sohn I thought the book was much heavier than the movie. I thought the added scene where Rudi finds out they are hiding someone was very sweet.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Shannon wrote: "The film was ridiculous. Really. If I had seen it on the cinema I would have left within the first minutes. I mean, the hell were they thinking? There was a lot of bad acting and that's just the fi..."

OMG, I couldn't have said it better. The movie was a F.A.I.L.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't watched it yet, but I heard that Death was not in the movie.......RUINED FOR ME!!!!!

Jakub I liked both, although I must say I didn't like the ending in the movie.

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Gazzolo Saw the movie and then read the book - love both!!

Ellie Let's be honest, movies are never as good as the books because they cant include all the details in the book, like I was very sad that they didn't put in about the book that Max made for Liesel but I understand how they could not. Honestly, I think the movie was quite good and the setting was very similar to how I imagined in the book but obviously some huge parts of the storyline are missing but I think the movie should be given some credit

message 20: by Brittany (last edited Mar 21, 2015 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittany Daemer Perhaps I would have liked the movie had I not read the book... but seeing as I did read the book, I am sorely disappointed. Too too many things were left out... I dont even see how it could be called the book thief from the movie. I understand that a movie can't be made including every little detail or even aspect of a book but my goodness I think this one was one of the worst. Taking out the , the jew marches, Hans's job, concentration camps, the nightmares and fuhror fights it almost seemed to me like they were trying to "family-it-up" too much, it is a VERY soft PG-13 in my opinion. Some things im not sure why they took them out... Han's waiting application and eventual approval into the party; The book from max; the fight with the mayor's wife and so many other things. Like I said, I appreciate the effort to create this movie but to me it just wasn't the same without the effect from the cut scenes. Death also did not get a big enough part in the story telling. he narrarates at a few spots but he does not seem like the character i interpreted him to be

Adilynn Girardot Book was way better.

Lillian You know, there is no way to capture the exact essence and feeling of a novel, on the screen. But I found the movie very beautiful.

message 23: by Christiana (new) - added it

Christiana The book was ok, but the movie made it better.

Lillian Anna wrote: "I haven't watched it yet, but I heard that Death was not in the movie.......RUINED FOR ME!!!!!"
Death is actually in the movie but all you ever see is a dark shadow for like one second and the rest is a voice-over. Not perfect but not bad. The book was totally better, though.

ana's ghost the book was reallllly bad, the movie was alright.

Lillian Why didn't you like the book?

Adriana The problem for me wasn't so much what they left out, but how they presented what they had. I couldn't imagine that Liesel stealing apples, that Rudy feeding the Jews, that Max fisfighting Hitler, that Ilsa being the sad mute grieving mother. There was no hunger on Himmel Street, no poverty. There were no books bought with rolled cigarettes, no raided farms. (tbh, I can see more of the book on this small fanmade trailer than on the movie)

And the whole format. How can you adapt a book with such an unique prose to a movie completely equal to every other movie? Not a change to what we're used to see. Not a small dare.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ihearthawaii I loved the book. They changed many things in the movie, but the actors were a good choice. Nico Liersch made me love Rudy even more!

Melinda I don't think the movie did The Book Thief justice. The actors and plot in the movie was fine, but the feeling and beauty of the book wasn't captured in the movie to me.

Gabriella M Although I am a true believer that the movie is better than the book, it gets me to ponder on the idea that maybe my thoughts would be different if I had only seen the movie or, seen the movie before the book.

KarenK I read the book in 2016 which was 5☆, and just now saw the movie. Very, very good!