The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3) The Death Cure discussion

Suspicious Ending

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma This discussion may contain spoilers, but since it's at the end of the series any spoilers you get are your own fault for continuing to read. You've been warned.

I suspect there are some people who found the ending of this book, especially with Brenda slightly suspicious, and rereading the last chapter, I think I am too.

"There are over two hundred of us and we're all immune. It'll be a good start."
Thomas looked over at her, suspicious at how sure she sounded - like she knew something he didn't. "What's that supposed to mean?"
She leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek, then the lips. "Nothing. Nothing at all."

Then over the page is the Final WICKED Memorandum where Ava Paige says that even though the outcome wasn't quite what she hope, they still succeeded. That she planned an alternative for an ending like this, and that with the help of two Immunes (Jorge and Brenda) they can implement a solution that will result in the best outcome they could have hoped for. She ends it, 'WICKED is good.'

Are Jorge and Brenda going to begin a new experiment? Are they still under the work of WICKED, still looking to find a cure? Are the trials still going?

Or are they simply going to start a new life with the other Immunes? Is it as simple as they can relax now, they can sit back and live their lives without any more tests? That this new world is theirs to save?

I never believed, and still don't believe that Jorge and Brenda are against them.

Andrew Marquez I think that they just start a whole new life with other immunes.

Ilana Ever since i really understood the point of Jorge and Brenda from TST, i think that i am of the mindset that while they worked for WICKED, they never stood by the 'evil plans' of the trials. I think that they are on the side of building society with people that are able to survive, live and succeed. That being said, i think that the way that it's all worded is to make you think. That's been the bit about this series that's a constant - never just accept what you're seeing and hearing. That's the same with these 2.

Personally - i think that it's just too convenient that there were 200 immunes and that there were folks out there who knew where it was safe to go, but then again, it's a story - so suspension of disbelief and all that is necessary.

Sic Transit Gloria Hilariously, starting over with 200 immunes probably wouldn't work. You need a lot of people to keep genetic diversity (and stave off inbreeding). The 50/500 rule states that it usually takes 50 individuals for short term survival and 500 for long term. They may be living now, but their settlement is probably doomed to failure.

message 5: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Sic Transit Gloria wrote: "Hilariously, starting over with 200 immunes probably wouldn't work. You need a lot of people to keep genetic diversity (and stave off inbreeding). The 50/500 rule states that it usually takes 50 in..."

Haha, looks like James Dashner didn't do his research according to you.

Anya so basically what James Dashner's ending was thomaa and the immunes are going to have to satart a new life while the rest of humanity die.
Such a happy ending!

message 7: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava I want James Dashner to write another book following up on what happens after we have no answers for all we know after the book ended a giant greiver came and they all Died i need answerz!!!!

Andrew Marquez the human race only got started by two people.I think they can build up a society.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Andrew wrote: "the human race only got started by two people.I think they can build up a society."

Haha, well said.

molaffle Anya wrote: "so basically what James Dashner's ending was thomaa and the immunes are going to have to satart a new life while the rest of humanity die.
Such a happy ending!"

HAHA TRUE LMAO

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Molika wrote: "Anya wrote: "so basically what James Dashner's ending was thomaa and the immunes are going to have to satart a new life while the rest of humanity die.
Such a happy ending!"

HAHA TRUE LMAO"

Yeah but how else could it have gone?

Aamina i didnt like the ending cos he went off with brenda!
therasa ....
come on dashner

Abby Elizabeth Andrew wrote: "the human race only got started by two people.I think they can build up a society."

THANK YOU. MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY.

Okay, the way I see it, there were only two options. Eventually, all the people would become a Crank except the Munies, and then a lot of the Munies would be killed, etc. The world is in total chaos and it would only continue until either all the cranks are dead and the few Munies left would have to fend for themselves in a broken world, or they could completely separate the Munies from the rest of the world in a little haven of safety where they could start afresh and preserve the human race.

Wicked is under Ava Paige. But under the Rat Man, Wicked was misled and did evil things. Wicked in and of itself is good, but it spawned evil. As for Jorge and Brenda...they worked for Wicked but were not evil.

Wicked is good.

I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE PREQUEL!!!!